It's Here It's Here It's Here!!!!!!! I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I just read the specs on this phone and I could very well be missing something but it doesn't seem any better than the Bionic besides. 2ghz of processor speed. It has the same ram, also it has a 5mp front camera and the Bionic has an 8mp camera. Is there anything that makes this phone so amazing that I am missing? Not being a smart ass or anything just legitimitly curious is all...thanks guys..

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents-VZW is doing whats gonna make them money,so really its not VZW,its Samsung-when they(samsung) sat down with VZW,they shouldve pulled a Steve Jobs and said this is the way its gonna be-We(samsung)want our product avilable to the masses on Nov 17 PERIOD.So personally,Im looking @ Samsung.:angry:

Or Google. This is their phone just as much as it is Samsung's.

hxdrummerxc

Reaction score
I just read the specs on this phone and I could very well be missing something but it doesn't seem any better than the Bionic besides. 2ghz of processor speed. It has the same ram, also it has a 5mp front camera and the Bionic has an 8mp camera. Is there anything that makes this phone so amazing that I am missing? Not being a smart ass or anything just legitimitly curious is all...thanks guys..

Oh dear god, another person who believes that megapixels = picture quality. :blink::angry:

pyro6128

Reaction score
Oh dear god, another person who believes that megapixels = picture quality. :blink::angry:

Haha I had a thread about this, but the mods closed it. Let the uninformed myth continue!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Erikbal

Reaction score

I know it has a lot to do with size as well but instead of being like that why don't you do me a favor and explain to me and others exactly what it means? I'd appreciate it! I KNOW I'm not the only one who thinks it has to do with quality.

patriot95

Reaction score

Trolls aside, the camera on the Nexus is an upgrade to the camera on the Bionic. MPs don't have everything to do with picture quality and the quality of the images from the Nexus will be superior (not by much probably) to those on the Bionic. The Nexus is also running ICS, the new Android OS. This OS is fully optimized for the hardware used in the Nexus. The two, the OS and hardware, should work together better than any other phone. ICS is amazing and a huge upgrade! The Nexus also has NFC and Beam technologies. The screen is probably the most noticable difference to the average user. The screen on the Nexus is incredible. It's HD and it's big.

The Bionic is a great phone and if you are happy with it that is great! The Nexus is the next flagship device from Google. It is pure Android, pure Google. It will receive updates the fastest (directly from Google) and should be watched over closely by Google. It will also have a huge developer following.

Also, although the specs show the Nexus as having a 1.2ghz processor, it actually has an underclocked 1.5ghz processor. This mean you can root and make the processor run at 1.5ghz... or leave it at 1.2ghz for better battery life.

Everyone has different wants and needs in a phone. The Bionic and Nexus are two awesome phones. Hardware and software wise, the Nexus is an upgrade on paper. But the Bionic might be perfect for you.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know it has a lot to do with size as well but instead of being like that why don't you do me a favor and explain to me and others exactly what it means? I'd appreciate it! I KNOW I'm not the only one who thinks it has to do with quality.

Check out this website. It explains it pretty well. The Megapixel MythIt's a very common misunderstanding that non-photo geeks can fall into.
People fall into the megapixel trap because it's an easy number to grab onto to compare cameras. Camera companies have perpetuated this myth for marketing value for a long time, so don't feel bad. Picture quality has far more to do with the lens and photographic technique than megapixels beyond 3 or 4 megapixels for most of us.

Erikbal

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind reply. I actually have the droid 3 and am very happy with it. When I posted I was thinking about my brother, he's about to upgrade to the bionic next month. I just wanted to know what the big deal was is all. Thanks again!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'll get straight to the point.

Processor: Bionic has an OMAP 4430 @ 1ghz, Nexus has an OMAP 4460 @ 1.2ghz. The Nexus has the newer of the two, and it's also underclocked from 1.5ghz. The Nexus has the advantage here.

Camera: As I hope you know, unless you've been living under a rock, 8mp is not always better than 5mp. The Bionic camera is complete trash. The Nexus camera is underwhelming at best but still a very good camera- light years ahead of the Bionic. The Nexus has zero shutter lag and can take pictures faster than an iPhone.

What makes this phone amazing: First phone with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich); True 720p HD screen (possibly the best screen on the market now); sleek buttonless design; no HTC sense++, no Samsung Touchwiz++, and no Moto Blur++; this is a Nexus - google experience device - when google rolls out updates, this phone will be the first to get them.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind reply. I actually have the droid 3 and am very happy with it. When I posted I was thinking about my brother, he's about to upgrade to the bionic next month. I just wanted to know what the big deal was is all. Thanks again!

The Bionic will be dirt cheap, but there's no way I would ever recommend the Bionic over the Nexus. The Nexus is worth the extra money all the way.

Diab210

Reaction score

The basic jist is megapixels are equivalent to the resolution of your picture. Higher megapixel cameras will take higher resolution pictures meaning you can print larger photographs. So lets say, a 5 mp camera might be able to print a 5x7 without suffering from pixelation while an 8 mp camera might be able to print an 8.5x11 without distorting the image. That's great - the 8 mp camera is better at printing out large pictures. However if you printed out something well under both their maximums, say a 3"x4" picture, and everything else was the same they should produce identical pictures because all those extra pixels stored in the 8 mp file are compressed and wasted.

patriot95

Reaction score

Unless money is the issue and the Bionic is a much better deal, go with one of the new three: RAZR, Rezound, Nexus. If the Nexus comes out at $199... that has to be your (his) choice. If they are all three priced at $299... have him hold each one and play with them a bit. Phones come down to a lot of personal preference.

authority11

Reaction score
What pisses me off is that even though they haven't technically delayed this phone since they never gave a release date, they're just sitting on this phone for their own greedy, money grubbing typical Verizon reasons. Samsung confirmed that they met Verizon's November 17th production deadline. What that tells me is that Verizon has had these damn things stockpiled somewhere just waiting for us since the 17th. Since they stand to potentially make more money off of the Razr and Rezound because of bloated goodies, they hold back the Nexus because they know that anything with the word Galaxy is going to obliterate the sales of their other devices. Of all Android phone families, the Galaxy line is most recognizable, even more so than the Droid line. I've talked to a lot of Verizon drones and they say the number one asked for phone is the Galaxy SII. Uhhhh....sorry we don't carry that....ouch. Next best thing, possibly better, the Galaxy Nexus >>> consumer of Droid profits.

Dude, these companies are run for a profit. They get into exclusivity and marketing agreements with Motorola and HTC, etc. They can't just make financially stupid decisions or breach contracts because you want your Galaxy Nexus now.

Status
Not open for further replies.