It's Bricked!

sb9t

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to hacks and Rooting my droid. I rooted my Droid X yesterday and it's bricked today... kind of funny when you think about it.

I've been running through the list of Roms on this site to find one I want to stick with when desaster struck. I was attempting to install this Rom (apex 1.4.1), The install completed with no error but after a reboot all I get is the initial splash screen (the M logo which I replaced with the droid peeing on the apple logo). I let it sit there for about 15 minutes and it never moved off that screen. I found instructions on google that stated to hold down home and power then press search to boot to recovery, but then the phone hangs showing an exclamation and droid guy... what ever that green thing is called. I've pulled the battery, charger, and gave it close to an hour (in case it was just taking it's time to boot) but it's dead.

Is there a way to bring it back or should I just report the phone as lost? I noticed after the fact that I was suppose to be on 2.3 before installing apex (I know, I somehow missed the huge red warning at the top of the post) I was on the latest liquid gingerbread. I'm pretty sure this caused my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
DroidModderX » -How to SBF Your Droid X Full 2.3.340 & 4.5.602

follow these directions

2.3.340 is froyo
4.5.602 is gingerbread makes a difference when choosing which SBF you want to do, any further questions just reply here

Clueless you're awesome! Thank you.

Not that i'm a glutten for punnishment but i'd really like to try this Rom. However when I try to boot into clockworkmod recovery I get the stock recovery menu instead. I noticed at the bottom of the screen the following error: E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command. I googled this error but none of my finding helped. I read something about wiping data and cache, and to pull the battery but nothing works. I can install clockwork and It says it's flashed successfully but I can't seem to use it.

I was able to reroot the phone successfully... at least it looks like I did.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mattv111

Reaction score
You always have to wipe when switching roms. I wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache which can be found under advanced in CWM

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

mattv111

Reaction score
Damn its nice to come to this forum and actually try to help someone again instead of heading straight to the gnex thread and getting extremely disappointed lol

clueless77

Reaction score
I never go to the GNEX forum honestly lol, I have a long time before I can upgrade, and will most likely get the RAZR

BAD ASS X

shaggykid

Reaction score
I never go to the GNEX forum honestly lol, I have a long time before I can upgrade, and will most likely get the RAZR

BAD ASS X

I'm sure by tge time you have an upgrade there will be even better phones

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
So you are back to stock, which SBF file did you flash?

BAD ASS X

Yes. I flashed 2.3.340 so I could attempt to give this rom another shot.

You think I should reflash it? I don't know if it matters but the guy in the video said it took him 6 minutes but mine took way longer than that. I let it sit for probaby 20, I thought it was stuck so I killed it and tried 4.5. That was hanging as well so I went back to 2.3.340, waited 15 minutes then went to bed. It was done by morning.

OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
You always have to wipe when switching roms. I wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache which can be found under advanced in CWM

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I didn't wipe before all the roms only some. I want to say I didn't wipe before this flash but I can't remember.I
learned a great lesson about following directions this week.

clueless77

Reaction score
Well personally I like 4.5.602 because the baseband radio is better meaning better battery life, this time go into stock recovery which is where you had the triangle then press the search button which puts you into stock recovery, wipe data and cache then go into bootloader and do your SBF then go to stock recovery again and wipe data and cache then reboot and then we can get you rooted again

BAD ASS X

OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
Well personally I like 4.5.602 because the baseband radio is better meaning better battery life, this time go into stock recovery which is where you had the triangle then press the search button which puts you into stock recovery, wipe data and cache then go into bootloader and do your SBF then go to stock recovery again and wipe data and cache then reboot and then we can get you rooted again

BAD ASS X

Can I flash to apex from 4.5.602?

I tried your most recent instructions but I kept getting a failed error because the app on my computer couldn't retrieve the IMEI number... or something like that. There was something it wanted from my phone that it wasn't getting. Then my battery died and I couldn't make a connection to the phone. It looks like the decrepit state of my phone is preventing it from changing the battery. My babysitter happens to have a droidX so I put my battery in her phone this morning. When I get home I'll try to sbf it again.

What app do you recommend to SBF? I don't remember the name of the app I'm using and I don't have my laptop with me but I'd like to use what you and/or everyone else is using.

Thanks again!!!

clueless77

Reaction score
There is no app, you have to have the correct Motorola drivers and RSD lite installed on your computer and the proper SBF file downloaded and extracted because when you flash it you have to use the SBF file unzipped

BAD ASS X

OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
There is no app, you have to have the correct Motorola drivers and RSD lite installed on your computer and the proper SBF file downloaded and extracted because when you flash it you have to use the SBF file unzipped

BAD ASS X

Yes, RSD lite! That's what I'm using I remember the name now that you wrote it. Okay so I guess I just have to try it again on a full battery.

Thanks!

OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
I think I figured out a solution for RSD lite. I'm using windows 7 and I had to open RSD lite in compatability mode with full administrator privilages. In compatability mode I was able to SBF back to factory in under 10 minutes.

I'm still can't boot to recovery though. I can get to the stock recovery but I see an error: E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command. I tried all the fixes I can find on this forum and google and I even SBF a 3rd time but nothing worked.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.