It's been out for 2 weeks now...as things stand now, are you keeping your Droid?

metalmenance

Reaction score
Keeper for me.........
All smartphones have and will have minor issues with them, its the way it is.
Overall I like it way better than my omina or storm hands down.

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
As an early adapter I expect some issues.. none of the current issues with the Droid would prompt me to return it.. issues that are not fixed with the next update will be fixed at some point and I am fine with that.. as it stands now, there is nothing that will make me return it...

Posed this from my Droid :)

you've just reminded me that as an early adopter, things will not be perfect...I just have to remember that.

The Droid Stays! :motdroidvert:

OP
L

lmapp

Reaction score
"Posed this from my Droid"

Maybe the spell check? Come on...it's kind of funny.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Keeping it for sure....too many possibilities with this phone and for it being the 'first" of it's kind it's pretty well near "perfect"

cgibney

Reaction score
Bought mine on opening day. I work in IT and have owned a lot of PDAs and smartphones and I've had to support users with quite a mix of devices over the years (Palm II, Palm III, Blackberries, WinMobile, iPhone, etc). I have a few frustrations with my Droid but I really like it a lot, and I believe there's tremendous momentum in the marketplace now for Android. And Verizon wants the Droid family to succeed in a big way, so I feel good it will only get better.

I'm definitely keeping it.

OP
L

lmapp

Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on Android as an os, but I'm sort of on the fence about the Droid as a phone. The only 'bugs' that I've encountered seem to be on Moto, not Google.

xfeathersx

Reaction score
Only you can decide. You can read these posts till your eyes fall out of your face. It's what you need or want it to do, that will be the key factor to you. Put the phone thru the tests, or do the pro's and con's and see what list is greater.

hazydave

Reaction score
Definitely a keeper... not a remote question.

That's not to say it's perfect.. but what is. At this moment, this early stage, I have fewer issues with the DROID or Android than I did with my so-mature-it's-kind-of-over-with Palm Treo 700p and the PalmOS. That alone is enough reason to stay.

There are other issues. First of all, what are the problems. Sure, there are some bugs... but they're actively being worked on. Nice for a change. There's enough pressure behind Android that it's only going to get better for the foreseeable future. I don't have any deal-breaker that I believe is due to DROID hardware.

Second, where are you going instead? I'm done with proprietary OSs, period. I don't like the power that grants the hardware vendor, nor the lack of options. That's not an open source issue, but FOSS only make multi-platform software better -- perhaps I could fix a big problem myself, if I'm so motivated. So, before I even look at what they offer, this locks out Apple, RIM, and Palm. Fact is, I do know what they offer, and I find the DROID and Android already a match if not yet better at all things.

So I have my C64 Emulator, with Commodore BASIC... just for fun and nostalgia, sure (I was the #2 hardware guy on the Commodore 128 project). But it's also very, very important. The C64 thing may be silly, but the same "Apple Rejection Law" that kicked this out also prevents very important Web things, like Java, Flash, and Shockwave. Those will never be on the iPhone as long as the policy remains, which permanently puts the iPhone up as a second class citizen on the Web. These are not all in place yet on Android, but they will be. Nothing else out there matches the web experience on Android or iPhone, but really, one of the main reasons for that $30 a month, to me anyway, it Internet Anywhere. Why view it from a self-imposed ghetto?

So I'm left with Android phones as my only choice. There are plenty of very good options, but I think the DROID is ideal for what I want. I don't fault anyone else in finding their needs differ.

yungo845

Reaction score
Stop with all the complaints anything that comes out is gonna have some type of issues it took apple what like 2yrs to add voice control,landscape keyboard not to mention mms. The phone is solid for the most part plus android is finally gonna get the boost it needs into the mainstream partnering wit verizon people should be happy there's already an update coming out it takes months for apple to come out wit a update.. you will never find a phone that doesnt have any problems in the smartphone market, were the real testers of software and google seems to be a company that listens to its users.. If you want to complain about something go get a Iphone and see how many complaints you'll have and how long it takes for updates to come out.. i know i had an Iphone and dealt with complaints falling on deaf ears

Last edited:

Zippster

Reaction score
Simple to sum it up, absolutely keeping and loving it, still not that impressed with call quality though, I know alot say its the best they have ever had, but not to me....still more muffled then my samsung.

OP
L

lmapp

Reaction score
Stop with all the complaints anything that comes out is gonna have some type of issues it took apple what like 2yrs to add voice control,landscape keyboard not to mention mms. The phone is solid for the most part plus android is finally gonna get the boost it needs into the mainstream partnering wit verizon people should be happy there's already an update coming out it takes months for apple to come out wit a update.. you will never find a phone that doesnt have any problems in the smartphone market, were the real testers of software and google seems to be a company that listens to its users.. If you want to complain about something go get a Iphone and see how many complaints you'll have and how long it takes for updates to come out.. i know i had an Iphone and dealt with complaints falling on deaf ears

Dude...stop, take a deep breath. Not interested in Apple. I've had the Droid for two weeks, so I get it.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I am a former :blackberry: Storm1 User/owner, while I really did like (more like love / Hate) that device, I was never happy with the support that RIMM or VZW gave it. It was and is a really good device, but it never did become what it could have been. It was released to us FLAWED. :mad: I never had a piece of tech, that I had to search and install my own firmware updates on a weekly basis. i have played with the Storm2 and found I like my old Storm1 better. I was not impressed with the Storm2. :byestorm:

As for the Droid, :motdroidhoriz: Motorola/VZW hit the ground running with this one. This is what I thought the Storm was suppose to be a year ago. I have had mine, like most of us, for the past 2 weeks. I have never had the intention of returning this once. Never crossed my mind. It is a fantastic :icon_ banana: Ver 1.0 of a device. I only see great things in it's future as the developers start banging out the apps for it.

I :heart: my Droid. I am keeping it till it dies and I replace it with the next incarnation of this fantastic smartphone. I recommend it to everyone and anyone I can too. See Ya all in Droid Land :icon_ devil:

Yeah, I was one of those out side my local VZW Store waiting for them to open the doors. I have never looked back.

theascended

Reaction score
I'm surprisingly on the fence as well. At first I was completely enamored with the Droid. But after a while, I really began to get annoyed with the the way certain things work.

I develop on an embedded linux platform, and I know the kernel will kill apps when there is no memory left, but the kernel has now way to take stability or overall performance into account. I'll run anywhere from 10-50 different apps in my day, and if I don't manually kill everything periodically the phone becomes completely unusable. What's more annoying is the way applications can register as startup apps with no built in way to prevent it (I have to wait for root to manage my phone based on an open platform??) or to prevent them from restarting after I've killed them. When I restart my Droid, I'm left with 68MB or less of RAM and it only takes about 20 minutes before the UI starts to jerk around like a toddler with Tourette's (its ok, I have a family member with the syndrome).

I think the phone would be perfect if the UI provided a way to manually close apps without starting another app, gave us control over what was allowed to run in the background, and allowed us to edit user installed services and startup apps. I'm probably dreaming a bit... but I'm allowed... right?

sgdossey

Reaction score
Keeping it.

I work in IT and have also had a lot of PDA's. There are a few issues that are not deal breakers and I am confident that they will get fixed. This has been the best phone I have ever had. I am surprised that I don't use the physical keyboard. I missed it after having the Storm. It is quite easy to type on the screen.