Its been a week n still no OTA UPDATE

heyyclifford

Reaction score
Whats the deal? Should i just go to verizon and ask em if they can update it for me?

Sent from my DROID PRO

IAm

Reaction score
I know what's the deal? I called Verizon a few days ago and they told me they have no information regarding the release for the Pro only the X. Motorola says that they are still performing R&D and it will be released soon. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Download the update.zip from this forum guys. GB is so worth it that it cannot wait!

Roque

Reaction score
I know what's the deal? I called Verizon a few days ago and they told me they have no information regarding the release for the Pro only the X. Motorola says that they are still performing R&D and it will be released soon. Hope this helps.

It's not that great. Trust me.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

IAm

Reaction score

Any performance improvements?

Roque

Reaction score

Any performance improvements?

It's probably a bit quicker/smoother. Also no lag when typing from home screen to go into quick search. Never misses the first letter like before.

Some new features here and there but nothing I care about.

But basically, the UI is worse in my opinion. Mainly the status bar is dark blue and the status symbols (new mail, text, WIFI, network strength) are harder to read since they are either grey, light blue, or white. The old symbols that were black on white where MUCH better.

Also, menus are black on dull-white (almost grey) instead of the old white on black. I preferred the old scheme.

So it's a big shrug as far as what everyone is making this out to be.

boodafli

Reaction score
though, the OTA will break root. team black hat has an app that will give you rooted GB for 2.99. totes worth it. it was seamless, painless install. best 3 bucks ever, yo.

and i kind of love GB. it's faster, smoother. i like the new little spinny progress wheel.

i don't like that the app drawer isn't smack in the middle. it's weird over there in the corner.

i think the grey bar and the blue icons are pretty. it's a much less contrasting interface, so less visually jarring. it's pleasant, you know? i think it helps that my wallpaper is a bright color, though. i could see it getting lost on a darker paper.

boot seems faster.

wireless tether is busted. supposedly there are workarounds, but i haven't gotten them to work yet.

ostensibly, bluetooth DUN with pdanet should do the trick? not sure. waiting on my galaxy tab to test out that theory.

but yeah. i'm fond of the overall gingerbread experience. it's living up to it's cookie-man namesake, cuz it's super fast.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It seems that the initial release may have been a test run of sorts, only going out to a few people to see how it performs. Motorola has done this in the past, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. As long as there aren't any major problems that pop up, I'd think it would start rolling out to everyone who didn't already get it before too much longer.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Here is the link for the update.zip to update to gingerbread for those who hadn't already seen it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download.html

I would update through zip. But honestly i have absolutely no clue where to even begin with it. :( like step by step. No idea on how to do so

Sent from my DROID PRO

The second page in that thread has detailed instructions on how to install it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/151082-2-3-3-gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Here is the link for the update.zip to update to gingerbread for those who hadn't already seen it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download.html

I would update through zip. But honestly i have absolutely no clue where to even begin with it. :( like step by step. No idea on how to do so

Sent from my DROID PRO
Here you go heyyclifford. Go to this site: Download Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP. Download the zip file to your computer. Unzip the file and follow the instructions below and you will have installed GB on your Pro. It is as simple as that.

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Select by pressing the enter key SDcard update.zip
13. When the install is complete , select with the enter key "reboot"
14. Phone will reboot into GB.

Last edited:

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Thanks alot for this. Helped my friend at work get his pro up to date

etsuHoopsFan

Reaction score

Sent from my DROID PRO
Here you go heyyclifford. Go to this site: Download Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP. Download the zip file to your computer. Unzip the file and follow the instructions below and you will have installed GB on your Pro. It is as simple as that.

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Select by pressing the enter key SDcard update.zip
13. When the install is complete , select with the enter key "reboot"
14. Phone will reboot into GB.

Thanks for the instructions. Appears to have worked perfectly. But I wanted to note a few things to expect during the install/rebooting.

On my Droid Pro at least, the actual install took a few minutes. There will be a bunch of dots on the screen with some words saying what is going on at the moment. This kind of reminded me of the old DOS day computers. There will also be a status bar in the backgrouond. This process will take a few minutes to complete.

When you reboot your phone, this will take a while too. After you see and hear "droid" you will see the droid symbol and it will stay on your screen spinning for a while also. Don't be alarmed...even though I was! It finally opens to your phone settings like normal.

Just wanted to point this out for those that might be leery about doing this update.