It's been a good run - new ROM request...

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by jphudy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jphudy

jphudy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Droid 1 from the day it was released. I've been amazed with the capabilities of the thing, and, with the support here, it's worked great for two years.

When the prime comes out, however - I'm going to jump ship and leave the old Droid 1 behind. Original Droids don't appear to go for much on eBay.

What I could really use is a ROM for my original Droid that works over WiFi without a 3G connection, so I could give it to my kids to play with - or use as an MP3 player, portable web browser, etc.

PLEASE, PLEASE tell me this is possible!!

2. mwahlquist

mwahlquist Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Too easy. Any ROM should be able to do this easily, even stock. I would setup a gmail account just for this purpose (so your kids don't mess with your real one). There is a development screen unlock to bypass the phone activation at initial start up that would even get you around the email as well, but you will have to google it. I think it had to do with touching the four corners sequentially at the first setup screen after install. I have my second og droid setup this way, it has never had service, but works easily over wifi. Unfortunately none of the og droid ROMs allow android to android tether, so you would not be able to push service from your prime to your droid, like you would to your computer. Maybe we can find a workaround for that in the near future.

Let me know if you need more.

3. Urugami

Urugami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just did this with a OG Droid I got from a coworker who upgraded. I put MIUI on it, for no other reason than it looks the most juvenile and game-like of any ROM I've tried. Works well; loaded up TubeX for DLing YouTube (and playing them), WinAmp for music, and got all 3 Angry Bird versions, plus a few other games (so far).
    The 5-Year-Old loves it, and it helped him get over having his tonsils out.
    Just a note from Captain Obvious, standby time is FOREVER when the Droid doesn't have to worry about connecting to CDMA or 3G networks.

4. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On a similar note. Someone asked me if you could activate an android phone without a data plan, use it as a phone with wifi. I did not think it was possible, does anyone know if it can be done?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

5. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    If it's a smart phone it can not be done. As soon as the phone is detected they will add the data plan to your line (at least that is the way I understand it). :blink:

6. mwahlquist

mwahlquist Member

Ratings:
    +8
    True.
    However, you can leave the phone unactivated and just use it over wifi, including making calls from other apps. Once you activate, they force feed you the data plan. There are a few like MetroPCS in areas that have pretty low "everything" prices... but I haven't looked into it in a while.

Still looking for someone to knock out the android tethered to android connection... no ad hoc yet, though.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +296
    Not sure if this is the question being asked, but disable 3G data and then simply connect to home wifi. You're normal gmail for market should work just fine. Make sure you turn off updates for ALL apps as I foresee issues with a new phone on the same market account as far as new apps and updates.

8. overtwo

overtwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wifi still works in airplane mode. Enable Airplane mode > then re-enable Wifi.

Also, regarding the development bypass. When you first flash your rom and asks you to sign in upon first boot, tap the top left of the screen then top right, bottom right and lastly bottom left and that will bring you right to your homescreen. enjoi.