It's a honeycomb deal!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Jun 13, 2011.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

We normally try to cover most of our Android Tablet news over at our sister site, however this bit of news we wanted to pass along to all of our readers that have been on the edge of purchasing a Honeycomb Tablet. Today Ebay has the Acer Iconia 10.1 Tablet loaded with Android 3 for only $379.99, the lowest price I've seen for a honeycomb tablet. Free shipping and no sales tax in most states makes this Acer Tablet a deal for any bargain hunter. Better hurry, this won't last long!

For more information, visit: Acer Iconita Tab A500-10S!6u 10.1" 16GB Android 3.0 | eBay

Want to learn more about this tablet? Well head on over to our Acer Tablet Forum!
  2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought about posting this. I have to say, it's a very odd-looking deal. Why is the same device $450 on MacMall's own website? Something fishy going on here...even though the description says "new, unopened package" it just doesn't feel quite right to me. Plus the typo at the top...Iconita???...WTF?

Remember that the Iconia doesn't have an IPS screen like the Transformer does.

-Matt
  3. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

I would trust it, EBay has been posting some incredible daily deals lately. I had a friend purchased a macbook pro through one of those deals a few weeks ago. $200 cheaper then macmall's website price. I did notice the typo in the title, I wonder how long it will take them to fix that.. lol
  4. gadgetrants

Yeah, I think the deal is legit...it's just...could these be some kind of return/overstock type units? Some manufacturing reason why they're discounted? Call me a little paranoid.

-Matt
  5. jeffcicale

jeffcicale New Member

@ little paranoid - sorry Matt, I just couldn't resist:) I completely agree with you...something just seems fishy there but could definitely be legit.
  6. barski

barski New Member

It does seem a little off. You would think they would have the title correct to achieve the max amount of people to buy it. Funny thing is there is the exact same thing selling on eBay and bringing more. that guy has alot of feedback and looks legit (unless those hackers that have been in the news got to him). Very tempting.
  7. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

I'm pretty sure it's legit. I just don't like Acer.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  8. gadgetrants

I've got the Viewsonic gTab ($280 @ woot) for now, and pretty happy with. Yeah, it'd be cool to have a device that came with Honeycomb, but the ported ROM ("Bottle of Smoke", alpha 4.0) is reasonably stable, and everything I need and want on it works well. The only regret I have is the screen...ah, that IPS on the Transformer is so tempting.

-Matt
  9. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

haha way to stay on topic
  10. gadgetrants

Hey, for me that's WAY on topic. :icon_ lala: The point is I've got something to play with, and tide me over until the next batch of Honeycomb tablets come around. I can comfortably pass on this one.

-Matt
  11. doniago

doniago Member

I might have gone for it, but it's sold out now. :(

Are there any 3G tablets that are actually good deals? Here in the hinterlands of VT we still have areas (such as an area where I spend 8 hours of my day) where free wireless isn't an option.
  12. Mandroidx

Mandroidx New Member

13. doniago

doniago Member

Thanks for the link. The reviews I've seen have actually been a bit discouraging though...I think I'll hold off on any purchasing for now.
  14. Mandroidx

Mandroidx New Member

15. gadgetrants

+1 I second that vote. And if there are any issues, Newegg is great with returns (apparently Asus isn't treating their customers so well these days).

-Matt
  16. doniago

doniago Member

If you want to save almost a dollar - ASUS 16GB Eee Pad Transformer Tablet TF101-A1 B&H Photo Video

I think Acer may have missed the boat by not including any explicit docking capabilities.

The big issue for me is that if I wanted net capability while I'm at work I'd likely have to wi-fi tether to my phone. $20/month if I want to do it on the up-and-up, which isn't horrible but isn't great.
  17. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

The advantage this one would potentially have for me is the full-size USB port. Some might not think that's a big deal, but I used the full-size USB port on the G Tablet all the time while I had it. One of the major functions of a tablet for me is to making reading the dozens of articles I have to go through every day easier, and all of them are PDFs. Being able to drop them on a flash drive and pop it in on the go is a lifesaver in a lot of situations. The Toshiba Thrive has been my targeted tablet for awhile now, but the lower price on this one just might get me to bite.
  18. gadgetrants

I would definitely head down to a Bestbuy and play with one first. I've tried the Acer--not yet the Asus--but my sense is the Asus would feel better in the hands. Based on trying the Acer...it's nice but clunky. A notch above the gTab which I own and love, but probably not quite as nice as the Asus.

Of course, the USB issue is a good one. Maybe that's the deal breaker for you? If so, I'd give it a few weeks and see if you can get your hands on the Thrive.

-Matt
  19. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I've used both the Acer and the Asus. I didn't seem to experience any of the issues that some have had with the Acer. I actually preferred the metal feel of the Acer to the plastic of the Asus. Overall, it just felt better when I was holding it. And the USB port is a deal breaker for me. I won't sacrifice a feature that I know I'll use daily for a device that is slightly thinner or a little lighter. This discounted price on the Acer is just about right for me. And there are just as many positive reviews out there for it as there are reviews that express disappointment over it. A friend of mine has the Asus, and I've found it to be lacking in a lot of ways for me. Now, if I were interested in the keyboard dock, that would completely change things. But I have no interest in that. If I'm doing something that requires a keyboard, I'll be doing it on my laptop.
  20. gadgetrants

Can you comment on the Asus screen? I've got the Nook Color, which is pretty breath-taking. Makes the gTab look...well, I don't think I can type that word.

But I've heard the Asus may also have backlight bleed issues.

-Matt
Search tags for this page

pacman