Its a BRICK

jleeusa

Reaction score
I tried to root on Sunday. Couldn't even flash with RSD. Phone stuck on bootloader screen displaying code corrupt. Tried to flash atleast 15 times. Each time RSD says fail, but at seemingly various points. Fortunately Verizon is sending me a "like-new" phone today. I'd like to root it, but am a bit nervous now and could use some advice. I've read "keep trying, it will work" and "try a different computer" (I have not). What I don't get is why will it eventually work and why a different computer? Also, could it be the device? If so, what kind of luck will I have will a replacement. Ideally I could root this one and send them back the "new" one. I understood the risks of trying this out and AM willing to try again, but need some encouragement and/or insite. ANY suggestions or tips will be very appreciated.

I have ten days to return the brick. If I do eventually flash it, will I be able to get through the activation stage? I don't if Verizon does anything with the MEID HEX number used to activate a new phone. Thanks in advance.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest RSD and Drivers.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I tried to root on Sunday. Couldn't even flash with RSD. Phone stuck on bootloader screen displaying code corrupt. Tried to flash atleast 15 times. Each time RSD says fail, but at seemingly various points. Fortunately Verizon is sending me a "like-new" phone today. I'd like to root it, but am a bit nervous now and could use some advice. I've read "keep trying, it will work" and "try a different computer" (I have not). What I don't get is why will it eventually work and why a different computer? Also, could it be the device? If so, what kind of luck will I have will a replacement. Ideally I could root this one and send them back the "new" one. I understood the risks of trying this out and AM willing to try again, but need some encouragement and/or insite. ANY suggestions or tips will be very appreciated.

I have ten days to return the brick. If I do eventually flash it, will I be able to get through the activation stage? I don't if Verizon does anything with the MEID HEX number used to activate a new phone. Thanks in advance.

If it says code corrupt I would send it back!!!!

If you activate the "new" phone you cannot return it.

Do't be worried about RSD, it is a pain sometimes but I think you just got a s**t phone.

OP
jleeusa

jleeusa

Reaction score
I downloaded a couple dif times, concerned with corrupt files or downloads. I guess what I'm really worried about it trying this again on a "new" phone. Could my computer play so much a role that people suggest trying another one? Why? Thanks again.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could my computer play so much a role that people suggest trying another one? Why? Thanks again.

Yes, it could. Basically the problem is this: even though USB2.0 is supposed to be a "standard", different motherboards and chipsets may have a slightly different implementation. Different drivers can have a significant impact on how well RSD lite works. Basically, some motherboard/OS combinations just don't "play nice" with the DROID's USB flash interface that RSD Lite uses. And thus, it fails in various ways.

justin090435

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. After I got off the phone with Verizon and they were sending me a new one, Iloaded the .sbf folder from my download folder instead of my desktop and it worked, it unbricked my old phone and worked fine. U can also try to re-download the files. I would at least give it a shot so u don't return and phone that possible still has su and root.....

littlerick

Reaction score
i think this is the reason motorola locked the bootloader lol people trying to root there phones and screw it up then expect verizon/motorola to send them a new one free of charge

OP
jleeusa

jleeusa

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I didnt "expect" verizon to send me a new phone. I pay insurance and a deductible for a reason, they know what happened and are sending me a "like-new" phone. I posted here to try and get some help, I haven't given up on it. Maybe I screwed something up along the way and am looking for advice from some of you PROS to help out. If you dont have any advice then keep you comments to yourself. Or maybe create a thread where you can banter back and forth about those of us just starting out.

Additionally, maybe companies lock these phones down simply so that people cant develop and experiment to make things better. Thats where they lose money, not giving me something that I have already paid for.

Thanks again for your mind opening replies.

littlerick

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I didnt "expect" verizon to send me a new phone. I pay insurance and a deductible for a reason, they know what happened and are sending me a "like-new" phone. I posted here to try and get some help, I haven't given up on it. Maybe I screwed something up along the way and am looking for advice from some of you PROS to help out. If you dont have any advice then keep you comments to yourself. Or maybe create a thread where you can banter back and forth about those of us just starting out.

Additionally, maybe companies lock these phones down simply so that people cant develop and experiment to make things better. Thats where they lose money, not giving me something that I have already paid for.

Thanks again for your mind opening replies.

so verizon knew you were trying to root it? or did you file a insurance claim and they are sending you a like new one?

OP
jleeusa

jleeusa

Reaction score
They first "tech support" rep kept telling me to pull the battery after I told about stuck on bootloader screen. She finally sent me to another level of support. I just said I was trying to get back to the original version of OS. He said 3rd party software would void the warranty, but would replace. He had to know what was up but neither of us admitted anything.

forkup

Reaction score
Boot to a live linux cd and use sbf_flash, it just works.