It should be almost here, you know what i'm talking about

warped1987

Reaction score
Now, I had my phone rooted, I downloaded a Z4 root thing someone sent to my email, I recently had to un-root my phone because it was freezing and restarting a lot. I had Bloat Freezer with a bunch of stuff frozen, but I un-froze it all and un-installed it, unrooted my phone, will my phone get the upgrade to Gingerbread automatically like someone who never had their phone rooted, or do I need to do other stuff to get where I want to be? I heard people saying some stuff about an SBF? Explain to me please? Thanks.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Did you ever bootstrap the phone using D2Bootstrap? If you did, either you can delete the hijack (bootstrap) file in the system, or sbf to allow the update through.

warped1987

Reaction score
Nope, never did anything like that. Just installed the z4 root, rooted it, and that was it. Only apps I even used when I rooted it was Bloat Freezer, some screen shot apps like Drocap2, and Android Assistant. Didn't experiment with anything outside of my knowledge base really, too scared, lol

Byakushiki

Reaction score
You're all set then, assuming all bloat and such is back in place, and you're on the stock blur. :)

Reaction score
Great news, read this on Phandroid this morning! (China Time)

Just to be certain when this releases:

I am running a Rooted, Bootstrapped, and De-Bloated STOCK Rom. I am using China Mobile for the time being, but have access to WiFi.

Do I need to: 1) Un-boostrap (I assume I can do this within the app?), and 2) Re-install the Bloatware before I can "see" the update? Can this be "seen" with just WiFi, or do I have to connect to CDMA/Verizon's partners?

Thanks!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Yeah, uninstall bootstrap, go into system/preinstall/recovery, delete the file named hijack (I'm doing this in root explorer, you can use a free app like File Expert or something to do this aswell I believe)
Then, go to system/bin, scroll down until you see 2 files named logwrapper and logwrapper.bin
Delete the one named logwrapper, then rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper.
Reboot, and you're all set, no more custom recovery.
(I'd actually move the files that are to be deleted to the sd card, incase bootstrap doesn't work for some odd reason, since I've heard that's happened before on dx)
After this, just re-install bloat, and unroot(maybe optional, maybe root carries over?). You'll probably be seeing the update before all of this, but it'll just get an error during install if you're bootstrapped and have bloat removed.

OP
The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
This sucks since i've hit that system update button about once an hour lol.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

warped1987

Reaction score
This sucks since i've hit that system update button about once an hour lol.

lol, too soon, give it a few days before you drain that battery looking for the update, lol. And just set it to automatically alert you when an update is available

Xboi

Reaction score
1st post here so I'll amswer the guy above me and ask a question:
From what I have read your phone must be reverted back to its original bloated self with no trace of bootstrapping in order to get the system updates.

My question is, will the update do for me what I want?
Ive got D2G Global
sys ver 2.4.330.a956
droid ver 2.2
kernel 2.6.32.9-ge2c63d
I want netflix to work correctly and fully on my phone. I have read alot of the posts and tried all 5 variants of the apk and still only get about 2 sec of chipmunks sound and no picture. I know another poster had a similar issue-could have been on a different forum. Anyway my hope is that the new OS will be out soon and fix this-then I will cut the fat, and my phone will be amazing...but maybe I could Root and Rom this thing to a fat free NetFlix machine? What do yal think? Anyone w same circumstance get a fix?

Thanks for running an awesome forum...sorry for slightly diverting the thread w my netflix fetish...I think Im still in the realm of GB speculations. I mean someone should test the functionality of NetFlix in the new OS right? A little stretch I know as it seems to be a netflix issue and not a Droid issue. Did I win the "Longest 1st Post" award?

Xboi

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Ooh...reminds me, my phone refuses to check for updates due to lack of moto service account :eek:hmy:, since the D2G I have now is a replacement from during the worry free time. Guess I'll wait for someone to post the update file then

warped1987

Reaction score
Here's what we're looking at for the upgrade, not sure how your Netflix problem will go:

Enhancements:

Download Manager App:
New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
App and Power Management Details:
Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
Multi-Touch Key-Chording:
New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
New User Interface and Color Scheme:
New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
Dock Icons:
Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
App Groups:
New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
Security:
Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
Updated Calendar Options:
Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
Additional Improvements:

Email and Messaging
Sporadic issues with unintended recipient list corrected for text, picture, video and audio multimedia messages.
Exchange ActiveSync calendar events created on the device will now push to your PC calendar.
POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
New ActiveSync Email Policy Support for the following:
Data encryption for both the internal and SD card memory.
Require manual synchronization while roaming.
Allow HTML email.
Additional Device Features
Improvements in stability prevent lockups, resets and force close errors.
Bluetooth® devices will now select the correct audio recording level for optimal voice capture and alert you when your audio level is too low.
Improved battery life while using Bluetooth.
Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
Reset Backup Assistant under Manage Applications menu.
Enhanced connectivity when roaming in GSM/UMTS networks (Europe and India).
Improved battery life during Wi-Fi use.
Preloaded Apps and Programs
Google Books
Accuweather
Amazon MP3 Store
Blockbuster®
Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2
V CAST Apps

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Blockbuster? Really Verizon? Just how many more times do I have to delete that thing?
GBooks is welcome, as is Accuweather (to a point, I'd rather have my Fission weather widget)
STILL TOO MUCH BLOAT

OP
The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Blockbuster? Really Verizon? Just how many more times do I have to delete that thing?
GBooks is welcome, as is Accuweather (to a point, I'd rather have my Fission weather widget)
STILL TOO MUCH BLOAT

Is it possible that blockbuster pays verizon to have its app preinstalled to our phones?

warped1987

Reaction score
STILL TOO MUCH BLOAT

Is it possible that blockbuster pays verizon to have its app preinstalled to our phones?

I don't know why, they are going Bankrupt, or already went, can't remember which. Nothing they can do will save them now with Netflix and Redbox and all that stuff killing them. Just die honorably, lol. But seriously, they need to get rid of ALL that bloat, allow it to be installed via the Market if you want it, or have it come with it, but give us the option to remove it, why in hell don;t they get that?

Reaction score
From what I understand, the makers of those apps pay verizon to pre load them on the phone. Verizon makes a quick buck,99% of people who buy phones don't care about the bloatware, and we're the complaining 1%.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums