IT Policy Questions...

kazjak

Reaction score
I've got some questions about differences between the Droid and Droid 2. We were holding off on supporting Droids in our Exchange environment until 2.2 since the IT Policy wasn't being forced until the new update. Now we have been activating users like gang busters and we've found an annoyance that I'm hoping you guys can answer. Droid 2 has a "manage lock timeout" feature under security so the user can set our policy to lock the phone after 30 min for convenience. The standard Droid does not have this feature. To clarify, I'm not talking about the slide lock. This is the lock screen that we force above and beyond that locks down all mobile devices we support. I have to unlock the slide lock and then unlock the policy. This happens everytime my display turns off. Are we missing something? Both devices are running 2.2. I would think that the exchange support would be consistent. Does Verizon control that because I'm only running the standard data plan? At a loss...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you are referring to the 4 digit code that you need to unlock D2 phones with Exchange. If that is the case then no, Motorola put that in there as a security measure. You have to unlock the phone each time to use it. To the best of my knowledge there is no getting around this.

OP
K

kazjak

Reaction score
I'm not looking to get around it. I'm the Exchange Engineer forcing it. We allow users to suspend it for up to 30 minutes. The difference is, the D2 has this feature but the D does not. The rest of the policy is working correctly and we've successfully wiped a phone with it. It's an annoyance I'm trying resolve.

danwanna

Reaction score
The Droid 2 does have this policy/feature enabled from what I can tell. My company has a 15 minute timeout policy that the D1 never honored (it locked as soon as the screen went off). On my D2, it doesn't lock until my phone has been idle for 15 minutes.

This is a huge improvement from a usability and security perspective. Usability is obvious, but for security it should help reduce the number of people looking to bypass the lock entirely because it is too much of a pain.

I'm liking the D2's Exchange integration so far...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah...D1 lacked the timer setting, even w/2.2 on it.

Having that on the D2 is very nice...