1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

It could be the beer, but my droid feels faster with GDE?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by NvrEnough, Dec 5, 2009.

1. NvrEnough

NvrEnough New Member

This thing is blazzing right now with GDE installed. Im sure it's just the quality of the beer that I have consumed but I like the GDE.

:icon_ banana:
  2. DroidHoff

DroidHoff New Member

I'm with you! The latest GDE update was awesome! My Droid is completely blazing and fully customized !!!
  3. Ainvar

Ainvar New Member

I am not sure but I think GDE and Home++ are both about the same speed on my personal droid. Which is both faster than the default stock home screen app.

I am torn between which one I like more though. I have been running each one for about a day each now and I wish in a way I could merge the two together and keep what I like about both as one app :)

Either way, it looks like we are getting some really great developers in the droid arena.
  4. psycdoc

psycdoc New Member

I am a newbie with the Droid phone and Verizon. Can someone tell me what GDE is and what update your referring to.

Thanks
  5. him

him New Member

I think its the beer...GDE force closes a lot and sometimes swipes to a completely black/blank screen. Not to mention the multiple duplicates it creates in the app window. Oh yeah and when going back to the homescreen the force close causes the entire phone to freeze.
  6. Ainvar

Ainvar New Member

GDE is one of a few home screen replacement application you can use on the droid.

If you are coming from windows you may have heard of litestep, windowblinds (not really one since it just skins the existing shell in Windows), and a few others.

In linux it would be things like windowmaker, sawmill, icemaker (I think I said it right, did not look it up), and a few others. On top of that you can run gnome, kde, enlightment, and prolly a few others on top of that.

Now what do they do.... For Android phones it will allow you to replace the default home screen to get more than 3 virtual screens most of them give you 5+ screens. They also allow you to change up the notifications bar like they do in Home++. GDE gives you a different way show the home screen along with allowing you to use themes.

I know I may have caused you to have more questions but I am sure that will give you yet more answers and maybe help others out.

Right now I am stuck between GDE (paid app) and Home++ (free app).

Both are really good IMO but they have different pros and cons.

Since this thread is about GDE I will talk about GDE.

It is a very small footprint and on my droid it runs very quickly and I have had very few FC's (forced closed). You can use themes with GDE which allows you to change the way it looks.

You can also chose how you change from one virtual screen to another. Right now I believe the cube effect is the most popular.

It also allows you to have two shortcut buttons on the screen on the bottoms which allows you to use them to go to SMS, Phone, Contacts, Add, and a few others.

That is it to me in a nutshell, I am sure others will correct and/or add more to what I have said here.

Here are some other thread links you can use to learn more about this.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/6788-gde-running-my-droid-youtube-vid.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/3570-gde-vs-open-home-vs-panda-home.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-simply-amazing-take-look.html?highlight=Home