Issues with the data-on-boot for the current CM9 and Gummy roms

faykfox

Reaction score
I've been following Hashcode's work on the CM9 ROM for the droid 4, and have kept my phone up-to-date with the latest builds. Unfortunately, I've been having issues with the 4G data on these roms.

Immediately after a full data / cache wipe and a ROM upgrade, 4G connects and functions immediately.
After a signal loss the phone fails to re-connect to any network.
After a reboot, the phone cannot connect to the LTE network, but sometimes CDMA only will still work (3G)

switching the preferred network type in the system settings does not alleviate the issue.

This problem makes these ROMs unusable on my phone. I've spoke with Hashcode briefly over twitter and he indicated that all those two ROMs (Gummy and CM9) both use the same data on boot package. The stock ROM that came with the phone has no data connectivity issues, so I'm fairly sure it's not the phone itself that's causing data do fail.

Looking for help with this issue, or to provide more & better information to anyone who might know what's going on.

supershot666

Reaction score
I had the same problem (until the recent nightly) but what always fixed it for me was to turn Wifi on connect to a network and then disconnect and then it should pick up 4g. (or for me it did anyway) Also make sure when you do try to restart your phone DON'T use the reboot function. For some reason when the D4 is restarted using the Reboot function the LTE antenna does not restart properly. Turn the phone fully off wait for 10 seconds then turn back on. I never use the reboot function any more (not even in safe strap) and I never have data issues.

Hope these help.

OP
F

faykfox

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I attempted the following:

1) Wiped the phone data / cache.
2) Installed the latest nightly build (2012-03-25) for CM9 ICS
3) Powered off the phone, then powered back on after 15 seconds

-- At this point, 4G connected no problem

4) Powered off the phone, then powered back on after 15 seconds

-- At this point, phone could not find networks. Signal strength meter would show 3 bars, then drop back to 0 when attempting to access data

5) connected to my wireless LAN

-- The wifi indicator turned blue, but still did not show 4G.

6) waited 5 minutes, then disconnected from my wireless LAN

-- The wifi indicator turned gray again and no data connection was present.

Looks like I'm still having the same issues as before, even though I've stopped using the reboot options and tried the wifi reconnect suggestion. :frown:

Cegal

Reaction score
After you restart your phone (via power off, then on) you will still have to cycle from gsm to lte/cdma. I find another way to "trick" my phone is to cycle from gsm to cdma then to lte/cdma...seems to pick up quicker for me...or it could just be wishful thinking.

Sent from R2D4 using DroidForums

Shein0327

Reaction score
I was just about to post a new thread about this when I saw it.
I'm having the same issues on Gummy... Its not a HUGE issue; I'm on wifi 90% of the day but it is annoying when I'm not. I'll try out the tricks mentioned here, and keep my eyes peeled.

EDIT: Also, I noticed today on my lockscreen it says "No SIM card. / Verizon Wireless"

Could have something to do with it...

My regular service is fine, it's just the data so I'm fairly sure the SIM card is fine

Last edited:

kwyrt

Reaction score
Sounds like we are stuck waiting on a fix. On the plus side when a fix is figured out it should fix all 3 ICS ROMs. I have just been leaving mine set to CDMA. It seems to switch between 3G and wifi just fine that way. I really don't miss the 4G that much. I'll be happy when it's fixed but I am just happy to have a pretty darn stable ICS ROM on my D4 for now!

EDIT: Also, I noticed today on my lockscreen it says "No SIM card. / Verizon Wireless"

Could have something to do with it...

My regular service is fine, it's just the data so I'm fairly sure the SIM card is fine

Not sure what that's about. I am on Gummy and my lock screen doesn't say anything about the SIM card. Maybe power the phone off and make sure the card is seated properly?

mjcecere

Reaction score
Hey guys. names mike, rooted my droid bionic and put gummy ics on my phone. the rom is pretty much prefect except for the fact i cant get 3g/4g service going. every time i try to toggle between gsm and lte/cdma i get an error post saying, "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped". can some one please help me get my 3g/4g working. i can send text and make calls but i need my data. thanks for the support guys.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Mike, I would suggest that you redownload and do a fresh install. Be sure to uncheck the box that wants you to let google restore to your phone or whatever it says. Then manually install your apps.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
F

faykfox

Reaction score
Hey cegal, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, like some other people in this thread, my data is still very flakey at best even with cycling the network mode, powering off instead of restarting, and connecting / disconnecting from wifi. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a fix.

I'm currently running the April 01 build of CM9 and still experiencing the same issues.

OP
F

faykfox

Reaction score
just to be thorough, I confirmed the same behavior on the 04-01 AOKP rom.

Shein0327

Reaction score
Yeah I'm running the .9 version of gummy. I tried all 3 ICS roms: gummy, CM9, and AOKP.

I like gummy the most, but the data thing is driving me up the wall. Whats worse, I can't send/receive picture or data messages unless I'm on 3g; not even wifi can send receive them.

Which is weird, because it works for web data, other apps requireing internet, etc.

Anyone else have this issue?

boddah

Reaction score
I installed the latest nightly of AOKP for Droid 4, can't speak on 4g issues, we dont have it, but data seems better, especially the handoff between wifi and 3g

anjunafreek03

Reaction score
Reflash and skip the wifi option. Just use the data from the tower. Don't turn off the wifi WHATEVER YOU DO, do not turn off the wifi. I've been 3 days strong with no issues because I left wifi on and not connected to anything! Turning off wifi shuts off all data and sucks the battery dry because it seems to hop towers constantly!

Ever since I reflashed, I've had no issues! I hope this helps!

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums