Issues with Mavrom 3.5

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I didn't see any mention of the issues I'm seeing on the web so I thought I'd post here. Tired of the battery life, general slowness, and total bugginess of this device I finally decided to rom it. I've had the Mavrom 3.5 installed now for a few days and I must say the phone is running much much better, with the exception of two very annoying problems that I have found so far:
1) Account creation, i cannot type in the email field when entering account info for either facebook or non google email. I have tried typing the email address and it does appear as if some text is going in the field but it is completely blank as if the etxt im inserting is white. I have tried to add the accounts anyway after entering the password but it always fails. I have also tried typing my email in another app and copying/pasting it into the account creation field....no go. So fo now I can't sync my facebook contacts.
2) I was using Endomondo yesterday (a fitness app that tracks running distance via gps), and about 10 minutes into my run, it seems the gps froze. The app was still responsive and pandora was still playing, the app even said gps signal strong, but it stopped logging my running after about 10 minutes. I never saw either issue with stock.

Any info you guys can provide would be great as I would really like to not have to go through loading up an alternative rom.

jesusishere

Reaction score
1) The account creation's font color is white. It stills works, you may want to try again. I have no issues logging in other than that I cannot see what i am typing.

2) I have had constant issues with GPS with my phone whether it be on Mavrom or an ICS rom, I am wondering what Moto base you are on? .890, .900, .960 etc.

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply, you were right it worked I must've typed the password wrong. I'm a bit new to this whole thing so you'll have to forgive me, not sure exactly what version you're looking for but the system version is 5.7.905.XT862, android version 2.3.4 and kernel is 3.6.35.7. Never had a problem with the gps until yesterday, i'll be testing it again tomorrow to see if it freezes again.

jesusishere

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply, you were right it worked I must've typed the password wrong. I'm a bit new to this whole thing so you'll have to forgive me, not sure exactly what version you're looking for but the system version is 5.7.905.XT862, android version 2.3.4 and kernel is 3.6.35.7. Never had a problem with the gps until yesterday, i'll be testing it again tomorrow to see if it freezes again.

I would say if gps problems continue you may have to sbf flash you phone and start over. I had to with mine to get my gps to work again.

I had the same issue and decided to reslove it the same day you posted:

Basically I am an in home computer repair guy. GPS is a necissity for me. I upgraded to the 905 build and I had nothing but GPS issues. The gps would freeze, jump and otherwise be highly inaccurate. The freezing part was the worse. Driving on the freeway and I would suddenly realize I passed my exit 3 miles ago would infuriate me. I decided a fresh start was the way to go. Since updating to the 906 build I have had little to no issues with the GPS. At first it takes a couple tries to get it properly locked but once it does... it seems very consistant. After time it seemed the GPS would be even more accurate. I have only been able to test trips of about 20 minutes or so. I will be going on a trip next Tuesday for at least an hour, I will test it again then. If you need help downgrading check the link below. I posted everything you need due to the fact that I had a hard time finding working download links. Please backup anything to your external sd card. Your intenral will not likely be touched but it's a good idea anyways.

Immediately after starting over, update to 906.

Downgrading: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1255198&page=23
Upgrading to 906: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=23263016#post23263016

Last edited:
OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
Yeah I couldn't imagine having that happen while driving, i'd lose it lol. I went for a 3 mile run yesterday and the gps was solid the whole way through, but I still don't trust it. I'll check it out over the next week or so with every trip or run I take and see what happens. If I still have trouble I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again for all the info!

dustyjerran

Reaction score
I would say if gps problems continue you may have to sbf flash you phone and start over. I had to with mine to get my gps to work again.

I had the same issue and decided to reslove it the same day you posted:

Basically I am an in home computer repair guy. GPS is a necissity for me. I upgraded to the 905 build and I had nothing but GPS issues. The gps would freeze, jump and otherwise be highly inaccurate. The freezing part was the worse. Driving on the freeway and I would suddenly realize I passed my exit 3 miles ago would infuriate me. I decided a fresh start was the way to go. Since updating to the 906 build I have had little to no issues with the GPS. At first it takes a couple tries to get it properly locked but once it does... it seems very consistant. After time it seemed the GPS would be even more accurate. I have only been able to test trips of about 20 minutes or so. I will be going on a trip next Tuesday for at least an hour, I will test it again then. If you need help downgrading check the link below. I posted everything you need due to the fact that I had a hard time finding working download links. Please backup anything to your external sd card. Your intenral will not likely be touched but it's a good idea anyways.

Immediately after starting over, update to 906.

Downgrading: [Recovery] RSD v5.5.0 and 5.5.184 (aka 5.6.890) fastboot partitions/flashable zip - Page 23 - xda-developers
Upgrading to 906: [OTA LEAK] DROID 3 (XT862) 5.7.906 Update from Staging Server - Page 2 - xda-developers

as far as gps issues i was having the same problem u have said and i went in and editer the gps config file and it has been working better since then i have it running the same file as the droid 2 would basicially and i get gps sync in a matter of seconds also u can gown load a app called gps test and go in to setting and hit clear agps and then update agps it will take a little bit to update that file but once it does it should continue to sync faster.

jesusishere

Reaction score
Well my story goes on at this point. I went and re-wiped my phone. I still have gps issues, I am running on on build 890 now. I am beginning to think for me it's either my car dock or it's heat causing my phone to loose position. Further testing will be needed.

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
I'm sitll having gps issues as well tbh. I can run a mile and it thinks I've only run .75 miles, so it seems to be losing and picking back up at some point, but that never happened before I installed the Mavrom. As much as I love the mavrom if I can't fix this gps issue I'll just have to go back to stock and deal with all the other crap that I had problems with lol. I think I am finding the gps is the single most important function for me on this device. I'll try clearing the file etc. as suggested but I don't have much hope.

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
one thing I did notice just now actually that when I turn off my wifi and go to 3g my gps doesn't want to start until I reset the phone. If i Leave my wifi on, the gps seems to stay on (at least the icon on the top of the screen.) This make any sense?

dustyjerran

Reaction score
I'm sitll having gps issues as well tbh. I can run a mile and it thinks I've only run .75 miles, so it seems to be losing and picking back up at some point, but that never happened before I installed the Mavrom. As much as I love the mavrom if I can't fix this gps issue I'll just have to go back to stock and deal with all the other crap that I had problems with lol. I think I am finding the gps is the single most important function for me on this device. I'll try clearing the file etc. as suggested but I don't have much hope.

open a root browser and go to etc folder and long press on gps.conf and hit open in text editor and edit the file so it only has
NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
and then save it and restart the phone and test it

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I already had exactly that in my file except each entry was looking for "extra2.bin" so i switched them all to just "xtra.bin". I'll let you know if that works any better!

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
Okay so I made those changes to the file and as suspected it's no better. I ran all 3 miles tonight and the gps signal didn't work once, it just blinked the whole time. I opened the app, it said gps was okay, so I started going. What's worse? I rebooted the phone just before I went out to make sure everything was kosher. If no other suggestions i'll have to go back to stock :-(

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Okay so I made those changes to the file and as suspected it's no better. I ran all 3 miles tonight and the gps signal didn't work once, it just blinked the whole time. I opened the app, it said gps was okay, so I started going. What's worse? I rebooted the phone just before I went out to make sure everything was kosher. If no other suggestions i'll have to go back to stock :-(

Update to mav 4.0. May be a problem with the 905 base. 4.0 has 906 base.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
I was considering doing that but didn't want to go through all that trouble again unless I had a good idea that it would work.

Doubleyoupee

Reaction score
one thing I did notice just now actually that when I turn off my wifi and go to 3g my gps doesn't want to start until I reset the phone. If i Leave my wifi on, the gps seems to stay on (at least the icon on the top of the screen.) This make any sense?
wtfd...wrong quote..wrong topic..how did this happen