issues with Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and home wifi connection

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score
I just got a Galaxy 2 7.0. I have it connected to my home wifi network, which is Verizon Fios, and my router is a Actiontec MI424WR, WPA2. It is password protected.

My Gtab shows connected, but constantly shows the signal strength as either "fair" or "poor". Most of the time, if I try to go to a webpage, it will says the webpage is not available. If i try to go to the GooglePlay Store, it says "no connectivity".

However, I have a Dell laptop that is also connected to the same wifi network, and it words beautifully, always showing a signal strenth of "excellent".
Does anyone know what is wrong? I'm assuming it must be some sort of setting on my Gtab...but I've tried changing a bunch of settings, but still get the same issue.
Can anyone help? Thanks!

Dolly

Reaction score
I have the identical problem. Sent out back to Samsung, got it back today, even worse connection. I have to be in the same room add the router to get a strong signal. My husbands Dell laptop works great all over the house and outside.

OP
E

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score
Hey! a couple days ago, I did an online chat with a Samsung tech guy, and he told me to go into the wifi settings and forget my network, then go back and add it manually (rather than letting the phone detect it). I was thinking, that seems like a stupid thing to try, why would that make it any different...but it totally did! I now have great signal and my tab loads internet pages just fine. If you don't know how to manually add a network, let me know and I'll look for the instructions that I printed out, and post them here. :)

skennelly

Reaction score
I'll have to try this tonight. I always get a signal, but it has low bars. My Droid X would still pick up my WiFi 20 yards outside of my house. My gtab 2 has trouble if I'm just on the patio with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Dolly

Reaction score
Yes please post. I tried to do it manually and need some help.

Markster1

Reaction score
I have the original tab 7 and set up my mother's tab 2. She was having the same problem as you describe and on a whim i went to see if it had an update available and it did and this fixed the problem on hers.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

skennelly

Reaction score
I set it up manually last night and did not notice any difference in signal strength. Oh well.

Sent from my SCH-I535

blacbeard

Reaction score
The bundled residential gateway/wireless routers are notorious for having horrible wifi coverage. Upgrade to a medium/highend wireless router. That said, I have no issues with mine so far....

OP
E

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score
Hey! This is the instructions the Samsung gave me:

Forget the wifi network
from home screen, touch apps, settings, wifi, then touch add network
enter the network ssid
touch the security field and then touch a security type (depending on the security protocol used by the WAP, additional network info may be required, such as a password)
if necessary, touch password and enter the password or hex key
touch save

I hope this helps you! My tab is still working great with my home wifi after doing this..I always have good signal now, whereas before I had "poor" signal and couldn't load any internet pages.

dasmueller

Reaction score
Bought one of these Saturday and exchanged it today. I spent about 6 hrs w support most of which was an online chat which did not work out well at all. I got disconnected 2x due to the time it took to do what they wanted. I never did get it to connect. They had me attempt the manual network add as welll as a static IP on my router. Finally phoned support and ran through the processes again at which point I was told I had a unit w a faulty wi-fi adapter and to return it or send it in for svc. It was easier and quicker to do a return/exchange. New unit is charging now.

My router is on the 2nd floor and I have wireless music streaming devices on both the 1st floor and in the basement of a frame construction house. The signal has to go through several walls including one brick to reach the basement and that unit works well. Hope the tab will be as successful. Will post back tomorrow w results.

dasmueller

Reaction score
Wireless connectivity resolved

To start, new unit and same issue of no connection. Interesting in that the interface was ever so slightly different. Called support again w no success. I do not like to quit so kept trying different things even changing the router password-no success.

Then I resolved the issue. What I did was to go into the router and manually add the device by putting in the Mac address in the wireless card access list and voila connection. I called support back to inform them of the solution so that hopefully it will be integrated into their system to assist others. Hopefully this well help someone here as well !

munya2012

Reaction score
Same issue with tab 2

To start, new unit and same issue of no connection. Interesting in that the interface was ever so slightly different. Called support again w no success. I do not like to quit so kept trying different things even changing the router password-no success.

Then I resolved the issue. What I did was to go into the router and manually add the device by putting in the Mac address in the wireless card access list and voila connection. I called support back to inform them of the solution so that hopefully it will be integrated into their system to assist others. Hopefully this well help someone here as well !

Can you share a step by step on how this can be done? Mine is a Dlink router and i have managed to access it but cant find how and where i can enter the tablet info. Under STATUS there is a menu and when i click on DHCP TABLE i get a list of the devices that get their IP addresses from the router. This tablet is indicated as HOST NAME: android-7347caabfbc2d78c, with the MAC ADDRESS, IP ADDRESS and LEASE TIME. But i cant find any options for adding or editing the information. I so regret buying this tablet and don't hesitate to tell anyone who wants my opinion on it to NEVER BUY IT! The minute i fix this problem am selling the tab

dasmueller

Reaction score
My router is a Netgear so what you see may be somewhat different. Here is what I did-

1. Selected Advanced Wireless Settings
2. Under Wireless Card Access List selected Set Up Access List
3. Select Add
4. Named the tablet and entered Mac address
5. Selected apply.

I did not know to do this I was just poking around to see what I could find. When I went into the wireless card access list I saw 2 wi-fi music players but not the tab so I just said let's add the tab. It worked.

How info is displayed in your routers pages may be different so you may need to experiment. Unfortunately documentation one receives w electronics is sadly lacking these days. It would be next to impossible to cover all the variations w a home network but they could point you in the direction you need to go. As a last resort call support to see if they can help you. The tablet itself is fine. Once setup I think you will enjoy it.

Good luck.

Custos

Reaction score
Possible solution

Hello. I had this problem and another more annoying one. My TAB lose connection when goes to Sleep Mode and apparently recover it when wake up, but with no internet connection.

The problem was solved when I change my WI-FI Authentication Type from WAPA2-PSK to WEP 64bit. Problem solved.

MacLightning

Reaction score
I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 which has the same problem connecting to the internet.
How the problem occurred? Normally I would just let my tab connect to my home wifi 24/24. Once I went to my friend's house and I brought my tab with me. My friend also had a wifi router and I connected to it without any problem. Then I went back home and discovered that my tab didn't connect to my home wifi automatically like it should be countless times before. My router was still on, my Acer laptop still could connect effortlessly, but not my tab. I cannot access to the internet thru my router but everyone else's up to now.
My solution? A lot. Reboot, wipe cache partition, wipe the whole system, continuously turn on and off wifi on my router and on my tab, turn off and on my router and my tab at the same time, wait for the battery to drain out, reset my router, forget my network then set it up manually... and everything listed above. None of 'em works.
I 'think' what might have brought up the problem is the system update thingy. When I bought my tab, it was Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.1 which used to work just fine with every wifi connection. Now it's 4.1.1 and I lost my 'ability' to view Flash content AND also be gone my root access. 'V never tried to downgrade my tab though, probably someday.
Anyone tells me what -you think- might have caused the problem?