Issues w/ Android 2.3.3/4.5.596 (Official Gingerbread OTA)

Pnoy82

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm writing to you all, kindly requesting any information and/or help with some issues I am having with the (official) Gingerbread OTA (.596). Please note that I've had an unrooted/stock Droid X, and that I received the OTA update yesterday at about 12:13AM. For those of you that have received the OTA update, have any of you noticed the following (although minor to a few, but may seem significant):

(1) When one views "Accounts," one's Facebook account is no where to be found (i.e., it's not displayed); however, when you try to "Add account" and choose "Facebook," one gets, "You can only have one active Facebook service account at a time." w/o one's Facebook account visible under "Accounts," how then can one go about modifying and/or removing an existing Facebook account?

(2) Contact pictures are still NOT syncing properly and/or updating accordingly (provided one has his/her contact pictures provided by Facebook).

(3) Although the UI of the keyboard has been modified via the update, does anyone find it a bit laggy when typing?

(4) Unlock screen still with delay and/or pause when unlocking.

Please know that any comments and/or help would be very much appreciated. I hope you are all (or will be) enjoying Gingerbread!

Chimuel

Reaction score
1. Which facebook are you using? The one integrated in BLUR or the standalone app? I haven't had this problem at all... Try clearing cache for the facebook app you're using.

2. Mine wouldn't sync contact pictures (or even contacts for that matter) from facebook until I signed in using the facebook included with BLUR (I'm using both the standalone facebook app and the integrated BLUR one)... and that's when the pictures and data started syncing properly.

3. I haven't had any problems with the keyboard... it's silky smooth on mine.

4. Haven't had that problem either.

I'm on stock 596 as well, 7 widgets, 20 icons spread across 5 of the 7 screens.

OP
Pnoy82

Pnoy82

Reaction score
1. Which facebook are you using? The one integrated in BLUR or the standalone app? I haven't had this problem at all... Try clearing cache for the facebook app you're using.

2. Mine wouldn't sync contact pictures (or even contacts for that matter) from facebook until I signed in using the facebook included with BLUR (I'm using both the standalone facebook app and the integrated BLUR one)... and that's when the pictures and data started syncing properly.

3. I haven't had any problems with the keyboard... it's silky smooth on mine.

4. Haven't had that problem either.

I'm on stock 596 as well, 7 widgets, 20 icons spread across 5 of the 7 screens.
Hi Chimuel! Thanks for the reply. With regards to Facebook, I'm using the one that is integrated into BLUR. Prior to receiving the Gingerbread OTA, I was able to see my Facebook account displayed under "Accounts." However, post-OTA update, my Facebook account is no longer displayed under "Accounts." Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this would be very much appreciated. Otherwise, I'm enjoying GB!

LonnieD

Reaction score
&)(_%^$** Verizon Updates

Well, I fell for it. I updated my rooted phone to .596 and now it is really messed up. It hangs up all the time and when it doesn't hang up, it takes forever to load. I lost all my speed dial info. I unrooted the phone (I use Z4Root) and it still hangs up. Any ideas what is causing this or maybe what ap(s) could be causing the problems.

Any advice is appreciated.

LonnieD

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Did you do a factory data reset after installing the OTA? If you don't do this, you will have a very buggy phone. And, yes, you will lose all speed dial info and other data that is stored on the phone's HDD itself, but not the SD card.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
As with the Facebook syncing and other Facebook problems... Just don't use that app! hahahahahahahahahaha.. I hate Facebook.

I did notice, back when I was running the leaked GB, the lock screen would temporarily pause after sliding the lock, but the phone was perfect besides this slight hiccup.

Chimuel

Reaction score
I'd look into doing a factory wipe on the device. Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset

Note that this will erase everything on your phone (not your SD card) and your phone will be as if it was just out of the box (don't worry, it'll be running gingerbread)

metnix1

Reaction score
Am I the only one who still has their camera default to WS instead of 8MP no matter how many times I change it?

hardybb24

Reaction score
sorry guys, just looking for some help here. Went to update to gingerbread and now i'm stuck at red circle with a white m and it wont let me go into recovery. Any suggestions?? I have a feeling i'll be heading over to verizon on my lunch. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

anemrac

Reaction score
The lagging is definitely disappointing. Im going to try the factory reset.

-anemrac

surrendermonkee

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the lock up after the GB update. Did a few battery pulls and it comes back but only for a little while. Can't get to factory reset screen.

tim.bond.72

Reaction score
I just got the GB update you can't be rooted or you are bricked you try to force your phone it will become a brick... And you can't re root which also of some bull **** but I'm sure soon there will be a new z4root or something so that once again us root users will be rooted once again so once again if you dont want to get rid of your beloved root apps I would recommend to wait until GB is rootable

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tkelso

Reaction score
sorry guys, just looking for some help here. Went to update to gingerbread and now i'm stuck at red circle with a white m and it wont let me go into recovery. Any suggestions?? I have a feeling i'll be heading over to verizon on my lunch. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
I have made the same misteak. I am not rooted, downloaded the ota upgrade and it has trashed my phone. The only way I can turn it off is with a battery pull. When I do that I see my icons but when I push one the whole screen goes black. I have contacted Verizon by phone and visited a store and they will do nothing for me but send me a refurbished phone. I am definitely not happy

tim.bond.72

Reaction score
Have you tried waiting for a long period of time before restarting because on your first boot with gingerbread it has to configure all the new and up dated files and if you battery pulled you probably corrupted necessary booting files so you would be officially screwed unless you sbf'd your droid which I've never done and couldn't tell you how to sorry bro

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tkelso

Reaction score
Phone trashed

I upgraded early this morning. I thought all went well. When I got to the icons I attempted to access one. When I did the screen went black except the bar at the top. The only way I can tur off the phone is by taking the battery out. I called Verizon and they were no help at all. I went to a store and they were less help, They are going to overnight me a used phone. I am definitely not happy. Anyone have any suggestions?