Issues running web server (PAW server) on Droid

peterpressure

Reaction score
So I setup "PAW server for Android" last night (free from the market app) so I could setup a HTTP server on my Droid for simple directory browsing of my SD card.

It works great when I am on wifi (I get a local 192.x.x.x:8080 adress), I can browse my sd card from my web browser on my PC and download files from my Droid, but when I disconnect from wifi and it redirects to my Verizon 3g WAN ip address, I am not able to reach the site.

Anyone else ever try to setup a web server on the Droid and have similar results? I wonder if Verizon is blocking port 8080 so I cannot host a web server on my device?

Motorola Droid F/W 2.01

Sources:
PAW Server for Android
fun2code.de - Home

OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
I just installed it and it worked perfect using port 8080 over 3G.

Thanks for the reply!

Are you sure you are using an outside connection?
When I use wifi (192.168.2.x:8080) It works fine.

When I use 3g, I get a random Verizon IP and from any device using my Droid as Wifi Hotspot (using the wifi tether root hack) they can connect via port 8080, but When I use a device outside my local network, I cannot connect over 8080.

I am very curious what is different in our 2 configurations. I tried this before I rooted and wifi tethered my phone. Droid 2.01.

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Positive I'm on the 3G network. It's a public IP it's displaying. Try rebooting the phone and if you're saying that you're trying to use it while running the tethering app, try it without running it. I am rooted 2.0.1 but I don't think that's allowing me to use it. Prior to rooting I used an FTP server over 3G without issue.

OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
Positive I'm on the 3G network. It's a public IP it's displaying. Try rebooting the phone and if you're saying that you're trying to use it while running the tethering app, try it without running it. I am rooted 2.0.1 but I don't think that's allowing me to use it. Prior to rooting I used an FTP server over 3G without issue.

Very strange, I have been trying to get this to work for over a month now, so many many reboots and non-wifi tethering tests have been tried.

Really want to figure this out, my girlfriend has a Droid which is very clean, I will try it on hers before I give up.

OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
Tried it on another Stock 2.01 Droid, still a no go man.

http://97.56.21.117:8080/

Nuthing!!!

All I can think is my area has started blocking ports, and yours has not. I am clueless as to why yours works and mine simply don't....

Mind posting your IP for a minute, I would love to see for myself :)

carbine

Reaction score
I am also getting no luck using 3G.

Pinging it gets nothing, nmap returns nothing.

Edit: Here are my nmap results:

carbine@hades:~$ nmap 97.176.63.226 -PN

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-01-18 18:38 EST
All 1715 scanned ports on 226.sub-97-176-63.myvzw.com (97.176.63.226) are filtered

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 345.134 seconds

Last edited:
OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
Also, I have been e-mailing the Developer maintaning PAW Server.

thanks for the info, I'll follow the discussion.
Althought I can't test, this seems to be a carrier issue.
On the Fusion Webserver (http://textlogic.com/fusion/) page they are
stating: "Public IP support when available from Carriers.(At present not
available from Carriers, thus WiFi is required) ".

Bye
Jochen
PAW Server for Android

zeitgeist

Reaction score
Any update on this. I see this was back in 1/18/2010. I can't connect via 3G either. I can connect over wifi just fine. I'm running stock 2.1...

Perhaps Verizon is just blocking ports in certain areas? Any update on this would be great.

Thanks!

OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
Verizon is blocking ports on certain towers in certain areas. Not much we can do.

zeitgeist

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if it's going one way or the other (i.e. are they planning on opening these blocked areas up... or are they planning on blocking the open areas)?

Surprisingly there is not much information on google about this. I suppose it's because most people don't really care to run servers on their mobile devices. Truly unfortunate.... anyone who has used the PAW application would want to have it available over 3G. I hope it's going in the way of more openness.

Has anyone found any better option, short of using a proxy (similar to swiftp)?

OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
I have not contacted Verizon Wireless, but I am curious what they would say.

I think a proxy is our only choice at this point.

zeitgeist

Reaction score
I was curious too. I did call and Verizon claims they do not block any ports. I was fairly certain they did at least block all ports below 2000. It would be great to get some authoritative documentation on this.

I suspect if I called their tech support 5 times, I would get 5 different answers.

OP
peterpressure

peterpressure

Reaction score
Sometimes I do wonder if it is a problem with the app because don't other apps have the same problems?