issues after Factory reset

megraven21

Reaction score
I posted here a week or so ago about some issues I was having with my phone, hoping to see if there was a different route to go other than a factory reset. The couple of people that responded suggested factory reset as the only option, which I figured was the case, so I did it on Saturday.

For the first time, my phone actually reinstalled all my apps from the play store, which was really nice and a huge time saver. I was using nova launcher before the reset but for now, I'm sticking with the stock launcher but otherwise am using the phone the exact same as before. I have been noticing my battery is dying a lot faster now though. Right now I have 24% but normally I would have at least 50%. When I wake up,I sit outside, drink coffee and play angry birds for about 20-30mins and when I go inside, I'm usually down to about 80% since I don't do anything to save battery like lower the display or anything. The last 2 mornings, the battery is at about 60% after 30 mins of angry birds. This is not normal. Anyone have ideas? I don't know how to see how much RAM each app is using so if someone can tell me how, like the name of a good app or maybe the phone has this option already & I don't know it?
The other thing I found strange is that I thought the reset would have uninstalled the OS update from a few weeks ago but it's saying my phone it's up to date. I am on 4.1.2 but I'm pretty sure it's not up to date. I have the note 2, note 10.1 & note 8.0 so its hard to keep track of what version is supposed to be on which device. (Yeah, I LOVE Samsung and new stuff) lol.

Sorry for the novel...just want to be thorough.

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
Btw, after typing that, I am down to 16%...not normal for me.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I personally would do another factory reset. When setting it back up, do NOT sync with Google initially. Go to the Google Play app settings (upper right corner) and make certain auto install updates is unchecked.

Install the apps a few at a time and restart between and test before installing more. Start with only the essentials.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Keep us posted.. Install GSam Battery Monitor to check on apps using power... Cpu spy also is good to make sure phone is sleeping..

Noted 2x~4 beta

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
Lesshor, what do you mean by "Test before installing more"? What am I testing? To be honest, I don't know I will have enough time on any day to install a few apps, restart, install a few more, restart, etc... Doing it manually and setting the phone up on a normal factory reset takes almost an entire. I have specific settings I need on my phone before I can work (for safety reasons) so its a tedious process. Not to say I won't take your advice, just that it may be a while before I will have that much free time to do it. But I would love to know what I would be testing for before doing it. Also, can you tell me why installing a few apps at a time makes a difference? As I'm typing this, I think I see what you are saying...basically if be trying to pinpoint which app, if any, is draining the battery?

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
Also, what about the update? Doesn't a factory reset remove the update? I'm not sure it did...it looks like the old version but says I'm on 4.1.2. I was always under the impression you would have to reinstall any OS updates afterwards.

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
Oh, one other thing I've noticed...my phone keeps muting itself. I know I am not turning down the volume every 10 mins or so but somehow my phone is muting. I just remembered cuz it just happened 10mins ago,I turned the volume back up, typed my last 2 messages, locked the phone, picked it back up and its muted again.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Oh man.. Possessed phone... Hmm something is definitely going on with your phone.. Factory reset will always bring you back to version you are on Btw.. It won't go back to the one b4 update..

Noted 2x~4 beta

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Also, what about the update? Doesn't a factory reset remove the update? I'm not sure it did...it looks like the old version but says I'm on 4.1.2. I was always under the impression you would have to reinstall any OS updates afterwards.

No, a factory reset won't remove the updates. For the battery, you could try a battery meter calibration (with the phone off, charge the battery to 100% then use the phone to 10-15%, then with phone off charge again to 100% then use and charge phone as you normally would). See if that makes a difference. Also, as bkdodger mentioned, gsam battery monitor will identify any apps that are using excessive battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Tis.. I've read battery calibration is no longer necessary.. I know back in the day that's what we were told to do... DX days it was a ritual.. Lol

Noted 2x~4 beta

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are right...It's actually not calibrating the battery but calibrating the meter that reads the battery's state of charge. The battery pretty much works the same but sometimes the meter that reads the battery level is off (reading the phone is at 40% charge when really the battery still has 80% charge). I've noticed that some phones maintain their meter accuracy better than others (the Razr Maxx was horrible, M not so bad, my N2 seems to do even better).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I agree.. Gnex was horrible with battery meter.. N2 seems to be more accurate to me.

Noted 2x~4 beta

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
@megraven21

My suggestion was an extreme case suggestion. If you really want to see if an app is causing the problem, rather than a hardware issue, you would need to test it as barebones as possible to see if you are still having a problem. On my first Android phone I was having battery issues and tried everything under the sun to correct it. It turns out you can go to far trying to extend the battery life. A factory reset, as I desctibed, nearly tripled battery life and it struck around for quite some time.

As was already mentioned GSAM and OS Monitor are good diagnostics but with the muting going on you may want to cut your losses and just go with the reset.