Issue with wired earphones and handset mic

gary84

Reaction score
Problem not solved

Speakerphone mode was merely using the phone's microphone as the microphone, not the headphone's microphone. I think. I got a replacement new phone in the mail from Verizon, tried it, and the same problem occurs with the headphone microphone.

I guess Droid 2 users simply aren't supposed to use wired headphones.

dsciara

Reaction score
My stock phone accomplishes this just fine. I listen to radio when running, call comes in and they hear them and they hear me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

NYC Drifter

Reaction score
And, the trick is to making a wired headphone's microphone work with a Droid 2 is... drumroll please...

... click on "Speakerphone". Even though the headphones are plugged in, the phone needs to you active Speakerphone mode, to know to listen to the headphone's microphone.

Thanks for the suggestion :)
This however did not work on the Thunderbolt :huh:

gary84

Reaction score
Problem solved, sort of

I returned the fancy expensive $100 Diddy Beats/r.Dre headphones that have the inline volume control.
I bought a cheap headphone/microphone accessory for $20, with no inline volume control.
The cheap one's microphone works with my Droid 2. This is the first time I've had a wired headphone's microphone work properly with my phone.

tycedeano

Reaction score
Hi Team,

I've come across an issue where the phone is plugged in with earbuds (with no mic) and i usually talk straight to the phone, but the other caller cannot hear me.

I've also tried hooking up the TB to my car aux jack and make a call, I can hear them through the speakers but they cannot hear me thru the handset .

Has anyone encountered this issue? this to me is a major drawback and almost a deal breaker for me.

thanks guys
Someone gave this tip a week or so ago and it works!

Menu- Settings- Call- TTY Mode- TTY VCO

I tried it and it allows you to talk through the phone's mike when you have a jack plugged in for speakers/headphones/car. I couldn't find it anywhere in the owner's manual and I wish HTC would have made that the default to save us all a lot of pain, but thank goodness for these forums!

NYC Drifter

Reaction score
Thanks. I could use mic on beats, but could not adjust volume which was on full.

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
Hi Team,

I've come across an issue where the phone is plugged in with earbuds (with no mic) and i usually talk straight to the phone, but the other caller cannot hear me.

I've also tried hooking up the TB to my car aux jack and make a call, I can hear them through the speakers but they cannot hear me thru the handset .

Has anyone encountered this issue? this to me is a major drawback and almost a deal breaker for me.

thanks guys
Someone gave this tip a week or so ago and it works!

Menu- Settings- Call- TTY Mode- TTY VCO

I tried it and it allows you to talk through the phone's mike when you have a jack plugged in for speakers/headphones/car. I couldn't find it anywhere in the owner's manual and I wish HTC would have made that the default to save us all a lot of pain, but thank goodness for these forums!

This seems to be working for me. Thanks. The status bar now says TTY, but when I turned it off in settings the status bar still had the TTY logo in the status bar. I had to restart the phone to get it to disappear.

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
Apparently the TTY VCO option isn't working. I tried it this morning. Guess I'm going to have to get the aux connection with the mic.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums

jkinsey435

Reaction score
What about using the Seidio headphone mic adapter? I was curious about this option for my Droid X. Are you supposed to be able to use wired headphones to make calls with? I have a headphone/mic set at home but it also has two jacks on it; one for the headphones and one for the mic so I'm not sure if those would work. Plus, the chord is really long.

jkinsey435

Reaction score
I tried wired headphones with my Droid X yesterday. They worked fine. The person I called could hear me and I could hear him in perfect stereo. No extra buttons to push or options to enable/disable. Yet another reason to love this phone.