1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Issue with Google Car Home.....

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Riley, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Riley

Riley New Member

I have SS v4.8 on my Droid, runs awesome. But I noticed two Google apps that aren't allowing for updates. One is the Car Dock and one is the Maps Street view. Both fail when I tried updating.

So I started with the Car Home. Went into Chevy's Tools(which rocks btw) and deleted the car home apk file, then did a reboot, went to the market and re-downloaded and successfully installed the latest google car home. That's all fine and dandy, except it doesn't show up at all in my app drawer and when I try and open it from the market it says it's installed, but the 'open' button is greyed out. I've tried a few reboots and nothing. It's no huge deal, I can use an alternate car dock, but I like to know the 'why' LOL.

Any ideas?

I haven't messed with the street view thing yet.
  2. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Same thing happened to me but instead of deleting it I named it CarHomeGoogle.bak apparently there's a file called CarHomeLauncher.apk that's needed to make it show up in the app drawer. You need to find a way to get it back and you should be fine.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Riley

Riley New Member

Hmmm I'll have to see if I can figure the out.

4. listenman20

listenman20 New Member

Should be able to just pull it from a back up. It'll probably still launch when set into the dock, but you'll need that other carhomelauncher to do it from the drawer.
  5. gerend

gerend New Member

I had the same problem...

jaycemiskel got it right.

I solved my problem by:

Rename CarHomeGoogle.apk to CarHomeGoogle.bak (or delete it, if you're confident). It is located in /system/app

Make sure you LEAVE ALONE CarHomeLauncher.apk

Go to the app store, and download Google Car Home; it should install successfully.

I never did worry about downloading the street view app; I believe the maps app now has this built-in (correct me if I'm wrong here).
  6. Riley

Riley New Member

Cool let me give this a try......I reflashed 4.8 the other night to put a new theme on and haven't messed with car home yet..............
  7. Riley

Riley New Member

Ok weird I see both apk files in /system/app

When I try and rename the CarHomeGoogle.apk it tells me I have insufficient premissions and that it's a read only file. WTF?
  8. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

You need to mount as r/w first. Need to be using root explorer.

9. Riley

Riley New Member

Duh! Forgot about that in Root Explorer. Ok so I renamed the apk to bak successfully. rebooted and no matter what I do it says it's downloading it from the market, then nothing happens. Yet it still shows the car home in the app drawer! Maybe hide it with Chevy's Tools?
  10. james4133

james4133 New Member

I'm running BB v.05 but when I installed the new Car Home, I did the same thing, and deleted the whole app. If you're running Launcher Pro there is also another work around though, and it should work just fine on SS.

With Launcher Pro, add a shortcut on any homescreen, add an "activity", select the Car Home app, and then select "com.google.android.carhome.CarHome". It should let you rename the app whatever you want, and the new shortcut should start the Car Home.
Search tags for this page
google car home for droid razr

google car home gingerbread