Issue with car mount

Silver Member
Reaction score
you guys realize that each of the joints can be locked, right? have you tightened down those joints as best you can? mine are rock solid because i like to take in-car video, so the position never changes.

dro

Reaction score
you guys realize that each of the joints can be locked, right? have you tightened down those joints as best you can? mine are rock solid because i like to take in-car video, so the position never changes.

Yes, the issue is with the flex in the arm combined with the weight of the Droid at the end of it. At certain speeds it will resonate left and right slightly, throwing the accelerometers out of whack and throwing reflections all over the place. This is likely not an issue with some vehicles, but it is very apparent for people with rougher riding vehicles. I have a Jeep and I would not consider it a rough ride at all, but the car mount is almost unusable during the day.

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol i'm just not seeing this level of vibration. are you guys off-roading or something? lol. i'll have to try this on a bumpy road for a test.

there's two joint locks. one direction behind the droid, and one on the arm.

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe it has something to do with how mine is positioned too. i keep the suction cup to the right and the DROID to the left, so that the camera has the most optimal view of the road.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
My joints are locked, but I am not experiencing anywhere near the amount of flipping that Dro is talking about in his Jeep.

Mine will just on occasion flip to portrait( I notice it most with pandora), when I whip around a corner or hit a pothole or something.

640, surely you can reproduce this in your lil rocketship.. go out and pull some g's in some bends, it will switch... make sure you have something open that will switch, like pandora. Correct me if im wrong, but it doesn't switch in video mode.

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah that's probably why i've never noticed. in camera mode, it stays landscape. i can't remember the last time i was doing donuts while trying to get directions. lol.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Hey 640,

After chatting with you this morning, I looked at my car dock, and it covers the camera's lens. Did you drill a hole in it or something so you could shoot your vids?

If so, does the dock still feel as solid?

ShowTime

Reaction score
I have mine attached almost directly under the rear view mirror, and the cradle angled towards me so that it appears horizontally level to my eyes when I'm in the car (meaning since the whole dock is off to the right, the phone is held at a tiny bit of an offcenter angle). I've got a lot of suspension work done to my car (improves control/cornering but makes for a pretty rough, bumpy ride) and subs that rattle my rear view mirror.... and I've never had it switch in and out landscape mode on its own once. Maybe I'm just lucky? :confused:

OP
M

messtress

Reaction score
So this morning I decided to use my Magellean mount for the Droid. Not once did my phone switch between portrait and landscape. So I am going to go with it was the Verizon mount and it's just not sturdy enough for my Jeep. Problem solved!!!