Issue with backup

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by moot, Aug 2, 2010.

1. moot

moot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I followed the following instructions and created a backup.

Create Backup:(I always create backup just to be safe)
    Turn off phone and turn on while holding x.(hold x before and after turning on the phone)
    You should see Welcome to SPRecovery in the middle of the screen.
    Using the D-pad select backup/restore(left is up and right is down to select use center button)
    Select Advanced Nandroid backup
    Select Set backup name and type a name pressing enter when done.(example: stockfullbackup)
    Now select backup CACHE, MISC and RECOVERY.(this should make every option have an * next to it)
    Select Perform backup
    Once complete Reboot and backup your SD card to your PC.

The backup file folder was saved in nandroid folder, I took it out and put it in clockwork/backup, when i press x and power and restore, it says error while restoring /system/. I installed the BB .4 rom, but realized I had forgotten to make a copy of my apps, I wanted to load by previous nandroid restore, but I get the error message.

Did I royally screw something up? Is all my data lost?

#1 moot, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you first signed in to your google account, did you select the box to sync to your Gmail account?

3. moot

moot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I did, should I not have done that? Further instructions will be greatly appreciated.

4. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You definitely want to do that everytime you wipe / flash a new rom. That way, as a failsafe, all of your apps and contacts are backed up on to a Google Server.. Try flashing a new rom, whichever one you were wanting to try, and sign in to your gmail account just like normal. Give it about 10 minutes and all of your apps/ contacts should be synced back to your phone. It may take a while longer, depending on how many apps you have. Although, for some reason, the apps only sync back to my phone about 80% of the time, I'm not sure why. Perhaps somebody else has the answer.

Another good idea would be to install TI Backup and backup your apps using that. Then, everytime you wipe, you can just install using TI if the Google Sync doesn't work.

5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    If your first backup was in sdcard/nandroid directory, then you did it with SPRecovery, and Clockwork can't restore those. You'll have to put SPRecovery back on and put the directory back in sdcard/nandroid in order to restore it.

edit: basically, SPRecovery has its own version of a nandroid backup, and Clockwork has its own version, and they're not compatible at all, ironically :)

#5 jntdroid, Aug 2, 2010
  6. moot

moot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the suggestion. It is very helpful. Google did try to sync my apps, but none of the user info was synced up. For example, for handcent, the program downloaded by all my saved text messages was gone. I was hoping I'd be able to restore my nandroid backup and start the root process from scratch.

7. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure thing. That's because stuff like that, app data, isn't synced. Just the actual .apk itself. However, using TI (titanium) Backup will sync the app data too, just a bit more of a pain in the butt to restore because you have to manually click allow for every app.

What JN said makes sense. You created the backup using SP, and tried to restore it using Clockwork. Try flashing SP back on to your phone and run the backup restore again. Then you can change to CW, just make sure you stick with one or the other.

#7 deaf leppy, Aug 2, 2010
  8. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    Also, since Google typically only keeps a record of your paid apps, I use App Brain. It doesn't backup data, but it's basically like an online Itunes, and at least gives me a list and easy way to re-download/install all of the apps I had before.

Then, obviously, there's Titanium and MyBackupPro to backup the apps AND their data (like Deaf already said!).

9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    You should be able to reflash SPRecovery by going into ROM Manager and scrolling down and "flash alternate recovery" - I think that's how it's worded. Probably your easiest way to get back to SPRecovery, then you can grab that nandroid you made.

10. moot

moot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the responses jntowers and deaf leppy. I was able to restore my backup. What everyone said made a lot of sense, I did not realize that the two nandroids were not compatible. This is a huge relief!

It's night like this I love the droidforums community more than I love my droid! I'm so glad I'll be able to use my phone at work tomorrow.

11. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    *high fives deaf leppy*

:p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

backup assistant database error

backup assistant database error 10
backup assistant has encountered a database error