1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Issue getting Link2sd script to mount ext4 partition on boot with SD10rc1

Discussion in 'Steel Droid' started by bigeasy911, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

It seems that the link2sd script to auto mount the ext4 part is not taking for some reason.

Metal Spring,

thanks for the instructions over in the SD10 thread. I tried to PM you but it says your box if full. Did not want this to clutter up the sd10 thread as I may not be ROM related

Device: Droid 1
    ROM: SD10rc1
    Kernel: Deprimed 2.6.32.9 (latest from link at top of "break if you can" thread)
    SD Card: 32g Class 4
    Partition ( all set as Primary): Data:28g Fat32, Apps:1g EXT4, Swap:128mb Linux Swap

Here is a summary of the issue for anyone that can offer help:

I did the "modprobe ext4" command as SU in terminal and it looks to have took
    ( no error). I then opened Link2sd and you get the pop up that asks for what format of partition you have. I choose EXT4 and it took this time, without the error that happened without the previous terminal command. It then instructed me to reboot with a notation if you got the message again that it meant that there was an issue with mounting the ext4 partition automatically at boot. So after reboot I opened link2sd and once again I get the initial pop up screen asking for what my app partition format is. I chose ext4 to see what would happen and it gave me the error like before I did the terminal command. So it looks like the script to automatically mount on boot is not taking for some reason.

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Maybe you do need to add modprobe ext4 to the script?
    It should be at the top of the script but under this line
    #!/system/bin/sh

btw could you copy/ paste your link2sd script here?
    Since I have swap as my second partition and ext4 as my 3rd one I need to make a custom script so I can test it in the future
  3. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

I am having trouble finding the script. The info I have seen in the link2sd thread here points to init.d but I can not find it. If you can tell me where it is I would be glad to post it etc. I am stuck at this point. I am going to try installing from market and seeing if that works.what else I can figure. This is a bit dumbfounding at this point as I know plenty are running this app without issue.
  4. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

Could I make a script to run at with the modprode ext4 command much like I made the reboot to be scheduled. The issue I see is making sure it runs first. I wish I knew why I am having this issue when you and others do not. What is different?
  5. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

OK not sure what was wrong with me. I found the init.d folder. Duh. I need to get more sleep I guess LOL

Have the script

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #added by link2sd
    LOG=/data/link2sd-11link2sd.log
    echo "$(date) mounting..." > $LOG
    mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2  /data/sdext2 1>>$LOG 2>>$LOG

mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2  /data/sdext2 1>>$LOG 2>>$LOG 

mount  >> $LOG
    echo "$(date) mount finished" >> $LOG

Now for me you are saying try adding the
    "modprobe ext4" right after the last # line in that script?

Updated:

Looks like that did the trick for me. I added the command line there, Rebooted, Opened link2sd, It opened without any popup asking for partition info. Got the "whats new" popup for the first time. I PM'd bakpinar over on XDA and mentioned my issue and the suggestion you made. Maybe he will update the program?
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. metalspring

metalspring New Member

yeah it would be

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #added by link2sd
    insmod /system/lib/modules/jbd2.ko
    insmod /system/lib/modules/ext4.ko
    LOG=/data/link2sd-11link2sd.log
    echo "$(date) mounting..." > $LOG
    mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2  /data/sdext2 1>>$LOG 2>>$LOG

mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2  /data/sdext2 1>>$LOG 2>>$LOG 

mount  >> $LOG
    echo "$(date) mount finished" >> $LOG

i find that the insmod commands work better but its an extra line and a lot more to type out lol, either way should work though, just replace the 2 insmod lines with the modprobe line
  7. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

Now there is also the install-recovery.sh file. Do I need to make any changes to it.

Basically has the exact same thing in it but of course its missing the modprobe line or insmod lines

Anything I need to do?
  8. metalspring

metalspring New Member

try it without modifying that first, if it doesnt work then go ahead and add those lines, i never messed with it though
  9. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

No it seems to be OK as is I just wanted to make sure. I will try linking so apks now. I really needed this given I run co pilot and thats 2 files. One 25mb and the other 34.5mb range. I need those off the internal storage mem.
  10. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

You know I was jsut tring to figure out why I am only seeing a max allowable setting in SETCPU of 1000mhz instead of the 1.2 1.25 ( if you have any info on this I am all ears) But I was reading the deprimed break if you can thread. Here is a line in the first info post by Prime

I never ran this, did you? Is this why I was having an issue ? Not running this do you think its going to be an issue now? Seems everything is OK but do not want to click on something in a certain order and have a big issue.
  11. metalspring

metalspring New Member

I never used that script and its always worked fine for me
    also to set different speeds just type this in terminal
    Code:
    su
    then go to /etc/init.d/20overclock to edit the last speed setting to 1250 (forgot how many zeros there are but just delete one and add the #5 in) and make sure to change the max vsel (near the end above the top speed, it should be set at 80) if you want 1.25 GHz then you'll probably want to set it at 86
    If you want to experiment with slightly lower vsels (can improve battery life and heat) then download the milestone overclock app in the deprimed op to test different ones out
  12. bigeasy911

bigeasy911 New Member

Thanks

It was a bit confusing when everything you read everywhere is saying to type in overclock. Yet I coudl nto find a overclock script anywhere just the .ko module for it. I actually have a 1250 script which I opened and it had the same numbers up to the 1.25 cpu speed. What I do not understand is with the first SD10 rom when I flashed the deprimed kernel I had automatically up to 1200 right in the CM setting and the setcpu. But when I upgraded to the RC3 and reflashed deprimed I was stuck at 1K wierd.

Everything is good now. Running 1.25 @ 80vsel ran stress testing for a long time and rock solid and never got too hot.
  13. metalspring

metalspring New Member

try benchmark apps like antutu, quadrant standard and cf bench, they stress the cpu much more to test stability, if it freezes or the app randomly quits then raise the vsel to 82, test again, if the same happens then raise it to 84, then 86 is the highest you should go
Search tags for this page
11 link2sd script
ext4.ko link2sd downloads
how can i mount ext4 second partition in link2sd
how to create mount script in link2sd
link2sd card mount script cannot be created not allowed to s

link2sd ext4

link2sd ext4 not supported

link2sd mount script cannot be created

link2sd mount script not created not allowed to su
link2sd on android 4.2.1 showing not allowed by su
mount script cannot be created