isn't froyo supposed to have...? (not about tethering or hotspot)

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Wavefunction, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Wavefunction

Wavefunction New Member

I've been looking and looking, and I can't find the itunes streaming google promised on my froyo? anyone found this? I can't find anything when I search for the company's name (simplified media)
  2. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Dont know, just think its really funny you put "(not about tethering or hotspot)" in the title instead of just saying "itunes streaming" , lol.
  3. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

I was unaware of Google announcing this as a function built into froyo. I know Google's supposed to be working on a cloud based music service that would allow streaming but I don't think it will have anything to do with itunes.
  4. Wavefunction

Wavefunction New Member

I had posted this question in the froyo help threads without response 3 times, so I thought I could get some more attention if I was vague
  5. Wavefunction

Wavefunction New Member

wasn't it in their I/O conference announcement may 20th?
    you can look at the video on youtube-I watched it again yesterday to see if I could find anything that would tell me what I was looking for
  6. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

I stand corrected engadget reported this in may after Google announced it at I/O conference.

Froyo-Itunes Streaming
  7. Moreno

Moreno New Member

Very interesting, why would Apple and Google still allow this with the whole competition against each other in the smartphone race?
  8. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

I don't think it would be a good idea for Android to use anything to do with itunes. In my opinion that would be like showing people drinking Coke in a Pepsi commercial and then talking about how good Pepsi is. I think Google should distance itself from iAnything personally.
  9. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Apparently the technology was already provided by the company simplify media but I can't find any mention about it online after May 21. It seems like something that would come in the form of an application rather than an OTA update though.
  10. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

Bad logic. If Android wants to convert customers from iPods and iPhones, then they absolutely need some way to get their iTunes music synced properly with their Android device. This is a big deal for a lot of people... unfortunately.

Anyways, this feature was never scheduled to be in Froyo. It sounds like they're working on it for Gingerbread.
  11. Wavefunction

Wavefunction New Member

will droid one be getting gingerbread then?
  12. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

This is very true, itunes has just had a stronghold on the market for quite some time. I'm always talking people into jumping ship to android even if they don't own the iphone and I always have to explain the little work arounds between itunes and android. While I hope that google does make an itunes alternative that fact that the phrase "itunes alternative" is even used by people is just evidence of itunes dominance.
  13. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

I don't do iTunes and don't plan to. I rip my CDs to mp3 and then to Droid via USB. If I want to buy mp3s I'll do it through Amazon, but only if it's not DRM-infected, cos I'm not having that on my PC.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Itunes got rid of DRM a while back.
  15. Wavefunction

Wavefunction New Member

yes but anything you bought pre-DRM-FREE itunes still has DRM, that is unless you buy it all again

all the movies are still DRM as well I think
  16. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

Though nothing is in stone and it might end up being a watered down version but as far as what little google has said it seems the droid 1 will be getting gingerbread. Rumor is in Oct area, but for how updates get pushed back and this one is a whole UI overhaul id be surprised if it was released. MAYBE, just maybe gingerbread will make its first appearance on the rumored droid pro?

And yeah i never heard anything about an itunes client for android. All ive heard is that "Google Music" is supposed to launch either with or right after gingerbread's release slated for the fall
  17. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

Yea well think about this....
    How about screw itunes and Google create their own Google Media Store or something to counter itunes? They did it with Android vs. iphone, why not go after itunes? Don't join 'em, beat 'em! Remember: All the experts laughed at Android from the get-go. I say let them laugh and take a shot at itunes with their own service.
  18. Wavefunction

Wavefunction New Member

as long as I can stream from iTunes, I'm happy
  19. Nibbz

Nibbz New Member

they cant do that though. iTunes is the industry standard as far as computer music players go. If they add this simple connectivity, then they stay compatible with many users who may want an iphone just because it works with itunes. Google is helping consumers by essentially endorsing a rivals music player. Google cares.

edit: and for the record. Google DID announce a feature that will allow your itunes to stream into what looks like an updated music player to your android. They announced this at the Google I/O, check the Android keynote on youtube. iTunes streaming WILL come to Android, presented by Google. They announced it after they announced features for froyo stating that all that followed (including the itunes streaming) is a sneak peak beyond froyo.
  20. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

Well... it is a bad idea if you ask me. Nothing will change my mind. The "They can't do that" statement was said MANY times about Android phones, now look. They could, and should. It seems asinine to support the competition just because people are used to it. Did they support the iphone to launch Android? NO. So when is the new Ford Corvette coming out?