Is your OG slowing down??? Check the Services

dro855

Reaction score
I've had the Droid for over one and half years, and the last few months the OG started lagging,FCing programs, and just became a chore to use. I thought it was from installing so many different ROMs, kernels, and flashing so much. I even SPF'd back to the original ROM, but a few days later, it was doing the same thing. The isuse was a very simple one.........TOO MANY SERVICES RUNNING. So many would run that they were always restarting, and often times would get stuck in that state. When Handscent is stuck in that state, you miss text alerts. When SetCPU is stuck in that state, it no longer manages the CPU, causing inefficient battery usage. Here is what was running when I had all the issues.

Silent Toggle Widget
PowerAmp Music Player
Pandora (Does not fall out of memory)
Handscent Security
Handscent SMS Receiver (Stuck in memory)
InfoLite Apps2SD (Does not fall out of memory)
Lookout Security (3 or 4 services)
Pure Grid Calendar Widget Update Service
SetCPU Profile
SetCPU Widget
Google Framework

Here is what I did

Silent Toggle Widget - Replaced with toggle widget that doesn't stay in memory
PowerAmp Music Player (Changed setting so it wouldn't stay in memory)
Pandora - Manually close app when not using
InfoLite Apps2SD (Does not fall out of memory) - Uninstalled
Lookout Security (3 or 4 services) - Uninstalled
SetCPU Widget - Removed Widget, just use shortcut

These are the only services that stay in memory now

Handscent Security
Pure Grid Calendar Widget Update Service
SetCPU Profile
Google Framework

The OG has been running like new ever since. No lagging when bring up menus, the Dialer, or Internet. No redraw for home screens. No Force Closures.

iamjoe

Reaction score
This sounds like what I need to do. Do I need to go into each app and try to set it not to run? I can provide a list of apps that I have.
Thanks

OP
D

dro855

Reaction score
Go to Running Services and see what is in memory when your phone is at its slowest. Check the apps to see if they have manual "Exit" buttons or options to not run in the background. Hand scent Security(12Mb) and Lookout Security were definitely the biggest memory hogs for me. Also, I removed all music apps except PowerAmp. For whatever reason, when one is running, the stock player and even third party players would load into memory as well.

Feel Free to list what you have running in memory.