Is your modded Droid laggy and slow? Read this.

Discussion in 'Koush' started by brianjcohen, May 2, 2010.

1. brianjcohen

brianjcohen New Member

I am the OP of this thread. I wanted to mention another couple things I've noticed that seem to have a reproducible, predictable effect of lag:

1. Having a lot of text messages. Delete them every once in a while.
    2. Running the HTC "Touch Input" onscreen keyboard.
  2. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Sorry I gotta disagree for most of this, aside from a few spots.

Themes are Ok, they can slow down the phone, depends on how heavy they went on eye candy and if they correctly made the theme for the rom you're using. if you try flashing and old theme you saved on the brand new rom, yeah you'll have issues since you lose all the fixes in framework and whatnot.

Non stock launchers are by far faster, and more feature/option rich than the stock. the problem is people do not remove the data and completely uninstall the other launchers so they all clog up memory. They are much much faster than the stock launcher.

yes overclocking does add significant speed increase and coupled with setcpu can even save battery life in the process.

app/task killers can be bad or good. I suppose it depends on what you mean by it. It's nice to have something to kill apps that sometimes go haywire and will not close or get stuck as a zombie and android won't kill it (arggg go for the head!) but some things like autokiller which can help fine tune memory settings are a great addition and can speed things up a lot. just have to experiment with the settings. It can also kill apps/processes but it's not the main function. Though android usually does a good job and yeah just killing off apps isn't needed. but tweaking the kill off settings is great.

Want to really speed things up? get rid of all the crap.
    -99% of you probably do not realistically need 7 home screens

-you do not want to plaster every home screen you do have with widgets,not only does it take up memory but a lot grab info off the network and thus use battery... aka more screens+widgets = more memory used and less battery life.

-Uninstall apps you don't use. If all you use is launcher pro or adw, uninstall completely the other launchers using adb or root explorer or whatever works. No need for it to be in the internal memory if it's not used.

-addition to the above, my list of usual instant removals on a new install are:
    Old Launchers

facebook (don't use anyways and i hear market freebies are much better)

twitter (not sure, still hear market ones are better)

mp3 store(seriously? anyone use this thing? I haven't even run it, ever) Delete

geniewidget news weather thing. sucks always using memory and trying to access data. if you have beautiful widgets or weather widgets toggle, just delete this stupid thing, you'll be happy you did.

most people that don't use their phones for business or use exchange can probably remove email.apk and corp cal. (this is not the gmail email app)

vzw visual vm. maybe someone uses this? deleted =)

think that's most of them. Then set screens to 3 default to the middle one use a minimum of widgets... only one i use is beautiful for the clock / weather.

Doing all this I can hover around 100mb free idle. I know how linux memory works so it tries to cache things which is fine, but this gives me some headroom and keeps my phone snappy. Hell even helix2 could be flicked from one side to the other in one flick. so with these lightweight ones... whew fast!

**sorry didn't want to hijack the thread, but most people barely know how to install roms. I don't hear much about people properly uninstalling the crud they don't use, or I see screenshots of every screen packed with widgets ><

then they complain of being slow or having battery issues.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I agree with everything above....although I dont abide by the 3 home screens and minimal widgets

I have CM5.0.7.1...overclocked to 550/1200MHz... home screens 6 used...several widgets running and live wallpapers (another huge battery and processor hog)...and I use Helix 1.

No lag whatsoever :)
  4. brianjcohen

brianjcohen New Member

@LrdElderon - You are right about widgets, for sure. Over the past couple days I have removed every widget except News/Weather and the phone has experienced the biggest speed-up yet. At this point I'm almost willing to take back most of what I said about launchers, task killers, and themes. It is now beginning to appear that those three things have minimal effect, and that it's the widgets that are making things slow.

It's really a shame, too, because some of those widgets are awesome. I love Beautiful Home, Battery Left, and Android Agenda.
  5. naalex

naalex New Member

@LrdElderon,

How do you remove the CM default 3D launcher? I'm using LauncherPro, and would like to clean things up.
  6. pdroid

pdroid New Member

in terminal,

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    rm /system/app/Launcher.apk (might be Launcher2.apk, not sure)
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    exit
  7. solution

solution New Member

With all these descriptions about how things tend to lag after a few days of operation or how after performing a reboot their phone response is back to normal, I'm getting the feeling that there's some sort of memory leakage going on.

Now, I don't know much about how these fine people go about modifying the android system or creating awesome themes like they do. I'm a computer tech by trade but I know very little about Linux, the droid is sort of my way of diving into the linux world. Taking a look at the android architecture layer on their SDK website: What is Android? | Android Developers You can see that the application framework layer holds all the key components that allow the apps communicate with the system. Now agian, I'm not exactly sure what gets modified in these custom roms but logically I have to think that if changes are made to the components in that layer or in any other layer underneath the app layer, there may be some unforseen side effects when those resources are accessed by applications from the marketplace or wherever you get them. It is impossible for these devs to test every single app, every single widget on the market to make sure it works on their rom.

I agree with the OP that the Official rom is the most stable version around. And it is my humble opinion that people who don't have a working knowledge of the phone's operating system or at least is trying to learn (that is what I'm trying to do) have no business installing custom roms, or at the very least have no grounds to complain on the dev's thread that their "roms sucks" and gets laggy after a few days of use.

Everyone should keep in mind that the developers are not you. They don't know what you're doing with your phone personally, that's why results vary. The fact they actually take the time to answer questions on threads for something they made for free, aside from donations here and there, is nothing short of a miracle.
Search tags for this page

android a855 running slow

droid a855 internet slow

droid a855 problems slow response

motorola a855 droid apps run slow

motorola a855 runs slow

my droid a855 is slow