Is your modded Droid laggy and slow? Read this.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've come around to running Cyanogen with no themes - though, interestingly, I have been running Helix2, which has a bad rep but for me it's been stable and fast. I still get some lag issues with dialer and handcent, but perhaps they might improve with the new release. I try to improve things with auto memory manager, despite cyanogen's recent denouncement of such tools. :)

Reaction score
I have 5.0.6.2 hex fusion theme and have the horrible contact lag. handcent lag, screen roation lag. at this rate if I keep this up I'll spend years of my life simply waiting. I need to find a solution yet I want to stick with cyanogen. Any ideas? also a little off topic, are any of you guys having problems running pandora and then when you go to send a sms or read and email or anyting it stops and you have to restart? This might be rom related too.

I have the same rom and theme, same handcent issue :( I reflashed cyanogen today to see if that would work. it ran perfectly til i themed it with hex fusion again. NOw i need a new theme :(

powerwagon

Reaction score
I would agree with most of what the op said, however I strongly disagree with the "get rid of the task killer" statement. I don't want this to turn into a task killer debate, but I CLEARLY notice a difference using auto memory manager vs. not using it. But, like most have said, every Droid is a little different and handles mods differently so your mileage may vary. I just switched from Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 to BB v1.0 and am happy so far. Unfortunately I'm not really loyal to any one particular ROM, as half the fun of owning this phone is experimenting with all of the rom's out there...at least it is for me :)

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I'm gonna wait for 5.07 and if it doesn't fix the lag issue I'll switch to BB. Not because I'm loyal, but because I don't wanna go through redownloading all the applications and setting up my phone again if I don't have to.

Ayrond

Reaction score
Speedy Now!

OK, here is what I have observed with my Droid. Since rooting, I have tried Jrummy's blue themed CM, Ultimate Droid 10, and Redrum Rom, and just naked CM.
Even after overclocking, I really did not not notice any more speed, and some cases there was a lot of lag.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I tried going into spare parts, and setting "windows animations", and "transition animations" to "fast". This made a noticeable difference. Then I found a thread that mentioned also turning "on" "launcher in memory" in the spare parts menu. It also suggested to remove any task manager that you were using (I was using Advance Task Killer), and install "app Killer" from the market and set the preset to "Aggressive". I did all of this, but I only set mine for "optimal". I am overclocking LV at 1Ghz, using a bekit kernal and setCPU app.

I now have jurmmys remix v0.7 "blue themed" CM 5.0.6.2, I have Helix Launcher 2, (I like the glass dock that follows to each screen) with six screens, and multiple widgets on each one.

I cannot believe how FAST this thing is running, apps pop open quickly. Going from screen to screen is very smooth and quick. Going in and out of the app drawer is fast(this had always been a problem before). I put it up against an incredible at the VZW store, and my Droid kicked its butt!dancedroid

Maybe different droids are different. I know that I had zero problems rooting, and installing roms, and kernels, but I see on the forums how much trouble some people seem to have with this. I am no expert, but maybe this can help someone.

Jedijesus95

Reaction score
The only lag I see is sometimes when I hit home my screen wont have any icons on it for about 3 seconds than it takes another 3 seconds before I can scroll through my home screens. I'm using the stock home on 5.0.6.2.

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
I haven't been around but since march but I have noticed since rooting mine, my friends and my g/fs phones. For my phone is runs great on bb and an 800 lv kernel and while myself and my friend were both using ud10 same kernel at one point his phone was a little faster and had no issuses while mine had heat and lag issues so I switched kernels a few times and could never get it to run good so I went back to bb and runs great. My g/fs phone has helix 1 and bb no o.c and runs great no lag or she would kick my butt and tell me put it back to stock. lol if you only knew her. I also run helix 1 and now installed the latest bb on his phone and he has had some random issues that neither I or my g/f has seen. All installs were done the same way, same day, same new bugless b v1. Clear data/cache 2 times then adb format system boot data and cahce on all 3 phones. It just seems to clarify that not all phones will run the same with the same kernels or roms.
Now im not sayin this is concrete info but just seems to support they do not all run the same or like the same kernels.
Also if you have the spare parts app where you can keep home in memory that will help with the lag when hitting the home button but I know some people do not wish take keep things in memory.
I also have not had to many issues while installing roms. Yes sometimes one of the phones would get stuck on the m logo and I would switch kernels and it would boot right up so that also seems to support they don't all run the sam ewhile using the same setup because if my phone boots, runs fine and another cannot get past the logo until switching kernels iit seems to support that.

Last edited:

waspie

Reaction score
funny, i found this thread while trying to search on how to take a droid back to stock. my fiance is constantly having reboots on her's and i've had UD, CM, BB, you name it on it. i have the last UD on my still as i had a bunch of trouble with CM and the latest BB. i think the OP is spot on, stock is so much faster and more stable. mine will stay rooted and modded but hers just has too many problems with custom roms

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Have you tried redrum chaos? If so, at what/where was it unstable for you?

Thanks.

No disrespect intended for posting in koush's forum, I just want to get a feeling for what folks find unstable/performance issues.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Regarding the issue about Cyanogen and Task Manager. From my understanding I don't feel like Auto Memory Manager and AutoKiller are considered task killers? But I haven't seen his original post so I don't know what he really meant lol. But agree I've seen nice improvement with Auto Memory Manager.

OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
I am the OP of this thread. I wanted to mention another couple things I've noticed that seem to have a reproducible, predictable effect of lag:

1. Having a lot of text messages. Delete them every once in a while.
2. Running the HTC "Touch Input" onscreen keyboard.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I'm not going to spend any time getting into the details, how I arrived at these conclusions, etc. I'm sure plenty of you will disagree with this. That is okay.

The recipe for a fast Droid, simply put, is:

1. I am highly suspicious of themes. Stock is faster. I cannot prove this.
2. Non-stock "launchers" are very bad, at least right now. Don't use anything called "Launcher" or "Helix". Use the stock "Home" app. If you run CyanogenMod, you can install the stock Home from ROM Manager. Try it.
3. Overclocking appears to kick things up a notch. I'm on a 1.1ghz 5-slot, standard-voltage bebit kernel right now and all is well. I'm going to downgrade later today to the stock clockspeed for comparison.
4. App/task killers are bad. This has been discussed to death. Put some faith in Linux and Android.

I'll probably get buried for this, but yes, I'm essentially telling you that Motorola, Google, and Verizon pretty much got it right. Almost everything I've installed from the modding community has been a net performance hit compared to the stock system. At this point, the only reasons I remain rooted is for WiFi tethering and overclocking.

Sorry I gotta disagree for most of this, aside from a few spots.

Themes are Ok, they can slow down the phone, depends on how heavy they went on eye candy and if they correctly made the theme for the rom you're using. if you try flashing and old theme you saved on the brand new rom, yeah you'll have issues since you lose all the fixes in framework and whatnot.

Non stock launchers are by far faster, and more feature/option rich than the stock. the problem is people do not remove the data and completely uninstall the other launchers so they all clog up memory. They are much much faster than the stock launcher.

yes overclocking does add significant speed increase and coupled with setcpu can even save battery life in the process.

app/task killers can be bad or good. I suppose it depends on what you mean by it. It's nice to have something to kill apps that sometimes go haywire and will not close or get stuck as a zombie and android won't kill it (arggg go for the head!) but some things like autokiller which can help fine tune memory settings are a great addition and can speed things up a lot. just have to experiment with the settings. It can also kill apps/processes but it's not the main function. Though android usually does a good job and yeah just killing off apps isn't needed. but tweaking the kill off settings is great.

Want to really speed things up? get rid of all the crap.
-99% of you probably do not realistically need 7 home screens

-you do not want to plaster every home screen you do have with widgets,not only does it take up memory but a lot grab info off the network and thus use battery... aka more screens+widgets = more memory used and less battery life.

-Uninstall apps you don't use. If all you use is launcher pro or adw, uninstall completely the other launchers using adb or root explorer or whatever works. No need for it to be in the internal memory if it's not used.

-addition to the above, my list of usual instant removals on a new install are:
Old Launchers

facebook (don't use anyways and i hear market freebies are much better)

twitter (not sure, still hear market ones are better)

mp3 store(seriously? anyone use this thing? I haven't even run it, ever) Delete

geniewidget news weather thing. sucks always using memory and trying to access data. if you have beautiful widgets or weather widgets toggle, just delete this stupid thing, you'll be happy you did.

most people that don't use their phones for business or use exchange can probably remove email.apk and corp cal. (this is not the gmail email app)

vzw visual vm. maybe someone uses this? deleted =)

think that's most of them. Then set screens to 3 default to the middle one use a minimum of widgets... only one i use is beautiful for the clock / weather.

Doing all this I can hover around 100mb free idle. I know how linux memory works so it tries to cache things which is fine, but this gives me some headroom and keeps my phone snappy. Hell even helix2 could be flicked from one side to the other in one flick. so with these lightweight ones... whew fast!

**sorry didn't want to hijack the thread, but most people barely know how to install roms. I don't hear much about people properly uninstalling the crud they don't use, or I see screenshots of every screen packed with widgets ><

then they complain of being slow or having battery issues.

Last edited:

jbg25

Reaction score
I agree with everything above....although I dont abide by the 3 home screens and minimal widgets

I have CM5.0.7.1...overclocked to 550/1200MHz... home screens 6 used...several widgets running and live wallpapers (another huge battery and processor hog)...and I use Helix 1.

No lag whatsoever :)

OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
@LrdElderon - You are right about widgets, for sure. Over the past couple days I have removed every widget except News/Weather and the phone has experienced the biggest speed-up yet. At this point I'm almost willing to take back most of what I said about launchers, task killers, and themes. It is now beginning to appear that those three things have minimal effect, and that it's the widgets that are making things slow.

It's really a shame, too, because some of those widgets are awesome. I love Beautiful Home, Battery Left, and Android Agenda.

naalex

Reaction score
@LrdElderon,

How do you remove the CM default 3D launcher? I'm using LauncherPro, and would like to clean things up.