Is your modded Droid laggy and slow? Read this.

OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
I see where you could come to this conclusion. I have ran several roms that have showed down my phone. It seems that every one's phone is slightly different and a rom that runs fast on one phone will run slow on another.

I found that CM ran slow on my phone where Redrum Chaos runs really smooth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No, these are sophisticated $600 palmtop computers that are manufactured to exacting specifications. Unless something is physically defective with your device, it should function exactly the same as any other Droid having the same configuration.

Alex K.

Reaction score
(quote truncated)

Your Droid is a computer. Unless something is physically wrong with it, you should be able to count on it running the same as any other Droid running the same processes in the same configuration. Luck has nothing to do with it, and an earlier poster who suggested you randomly try various combinations until you find one that that work with your particular Droid is doling out some really bad advice.

@necr0 - as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have found these "theme" roms to be largely evil, in terms of performance. I have absolutely no proof for this theory, but my gut suspicion is that it has something to do with additional resource usage (memory to load, and CPU to render) associated with all that artwork.

I see where you could come to this conclusion. I have ran several roms that have showed down my phone. It seems that every one's phone is slightly different and a rom that runs fast on one phone will run slow on another.

No, these are sophisticated $600 palmtop computers that are manufactured to exacting specifications. Unless something is physically defective with your device, it should function exactly the same as any other Droid having the same configuration.

Here's a few pointers:

1. Droid has its own GPU, which means for rendering, CPU load is reduced and the majority of the process is transferred to the PowerVR chip.

2. ALL Droids are different, and if they are not, explain the varying quality in headphone jacks, different types of keyboards, and different strengths of CPU chips (due to binning). That's like saying everybody can jam a 1.3GHz LV kernel on top of your Droid and max it out without having any problems. Obviously this is not the case, because I can only run up to 1.2GHz on low voltage, but since this kernel exists, and people do use it and a lot do not, a lot of people must have something "physically defective" with their devices.

3. If you want to post your opinion that can make people digress from using certain ROMs or themes, you should get benchmarks on your device and OTHER devices on each of these ROMs and themes in question. I know it is not a direct way of putting down other peoples' work, you must be considerate in the measures of which you place your thoughts.

4. Before you continue to talk bad about ROMs, my build of Cyanogen, with my own small modifications (which aren't even performance-specific ones) runs absolutely flawless clocked at 550MHz, or even 1.1GHz. So what results you can produce and what others produce do not match, making your argument invalid. I'm not flaming or trolling you, I'm just saying that when the Droid first got rooted and kernel-threaded, there were so many speculations as to what different situations mean and they have been answered in practical methods brought on in the computer world that have been tested on these "palmtop computers" that we use today.

Last edited:
OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
(quote truncated)

Your Droid is a computer. Unless something is physically wrong with it, you should be able to count on it running the same as any other Droid running the same processes in the same configuration. Luck has nothing to do with it, and an earlier poster who suggested you randomly try various combinations until you find one that that work with your particular Droid is doling out some really bad advice.

@necr0 - as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have found these "theme" roms to be largely evil, in terms of performance. I have absolutely no proof for this theory, but my gut suspicion is that it has something to do with additional resource usage (memory to load, and CPU to render) associated with all that artwork.

Here's a few pointers:

1. Droid has its own GPU, which means for rendering, CPU load is reduced and the majority of the process is transferred to the PowerVR chip.

2. ALL Droids are different, and if they are not, explain the varying quality in headphone jacks, different types of keyboards, and different strengths of CPU chips (due to binning). That's like saying everybody can jam a 1.3GHz LV kernel on top of your Droid and max it out without having any problems. Obviously this is not the case, because I can only run up to 1.2GHz on low voltage, but since this kernel exists, and people do use it and a lot do not, a lot of people must have something "physically defective" with their devices.

3. If you want to post your opinion that can make people digress from using certain ROMs or themes, you should get benchmarks on your device and OTHER devices on each of these ROMs and themes in question. I know it is not a direct way of putting down other peoples' work, you must be considerate in the measures of which you place your thoughts.

4. Before you continue to talk bad about ROMs, my build of Cyanogen, with my own small modifications (which aren't even performance-specific ones) runs absolutely flawless clocked at 550MHz, or even 1.1GHz. So what results you can produce and what others produce do not match, making your argument invalid. I'm not flaming or trolling you, I'm just saying that when the Droid first got rooted and kernel-threaded, there were so many speculations as to what different situations mean and they have been answered in practical methods brought on in the computer world that have been tested on these "palmtop computers" that we use today.

I said in the beginning I had no proof for most of this. I also said I had no interest in getting into the details of why I had arrived at my conclusions. I thought I had made it clear that the statements I made in the original post were decidedly non-scientific. They are my opinion. My hope is that some folks who are experiencing lag could find some relief.

Regarding the GPU vs. CPU, your analysis seems valid. I'm therefore curious as to why there is, nevertheless, an apparent correlation between running a "themed" ROM and the experience of dreadful lag. That said, I'm not curious enough to get into a discussion about it. :)

Regarding the difference between different Droids' hardware -- I see your point, especially if you say that there are some batches that literally have different keyboards. However if there are really batches of Droids that have different CPUs, would those CPUs not have different identification codes? Rather than saying "all Droids are different, you should experiment until you find what works," why not work out a chart of, say, kernels known to perform well or poorly on different Droid hardware revisions? I am curious as to whether these hardware variations are truly as prevalent as they are purported to be, or whether they are being over-used as an explanation for undesirable behavior and bugs? As before, however, I am not curious enough to get into a discussion about it.

All I want is a fast, rooted Droid while taking advantage of certain nice things in ROMs like CyanogenMod. I do not want to spend countless hours trying to narrow the exact problem down, when my own minimal testing shows such a correlation. Yes, it's quite possible that the theme isn't the problem. Or maybe it's only a problem with certain themes. Or certain revisions of certain themes. Rather than let my head explode, I will stick with what apparently works.

As for putting down peoples' work, wow. That was certainly not my intention, and I apologize if it came off that way. If you re-read my original post you will see that my intention here was not to critique anyone's work or to start a flame war about the pros and cons of flashing your Droid's ROM chip. I provided some "try this" tips. That's all.

Can't we all just get along?

Alex K.

Reaction score
@brianjcohen

I am sorry that I came off terribly formal about everything, that is my nature. :p

The CPU thing is completely random as it varies by batch of production. It isn't by product week or by CPU serial entirely, and the actual problem is by CPU wafer, all of these CPUs will have the same batch number, yet depending on where the CPU was located on its wafer (whether it be on the rim or in the center) is how it will perform at higher clock speeds. The closer to the center, the better.

The keyboard thing is also random, entirely. I do not understand how it worked out.

Your best bet is, however, is to run a close-to-stock ROM, in example, CyanogenMod+Home launcher, or Bugless Beast 1.0.

They have always worked the best for me.

Reaction score
On the topic of the overclocking capabilities of different chips:

Different chips made with the same process on the same day one right after the other will NOT be identical. Every chip will have microscopic differences in the silicon and doping processes that will affect the overclocking and undervolting capabilities of each individual chip.

This is the way EVERY semiconductor-based device has always worked since the first transistor radio. All droids are NOT created equal. For instance, my droid will run up to 1.2 ghz at low voltage, but not 1.3 even at increased voltage. The same is not true for all units.

EDIT: darn I type waay too slow on my phone, lol.

superglen99

Reaction score
I have 5.0.6.2 hex fusion theme and have the horrible contact lag. handcent lag, screen roation lag. at this rate if I keep this up I'll spend years of my life simply waiting. I need to find a solution yet I want to stick with cyanogen. Any ideas? also a little off topic, are any of you guys having problems running pandora and then when you go to send a sms or read and email or anyting it stops and you have to restart? This might be rom related too.

K

killabyte

I too have noticed that most of the launchers and themes cause slow downs. The Helix launchers for me are absolute crap and a lot of the themed roms seem to cause performance issues too. I have ran every one I could find for a couple days each and i've found the simply stunning/bb and cyanogen 5057 and 5062 to run the best with the least hit in performance. I'm currently running cm5062 with forkups hero theme and it runs well. I notice a hiccup here and there at times.

I think maybe you guys are not quite getting what he was saying about all droids being the same. They are, for the most part, identical. I think the biggest factor in determing how they run is the person using it. Some people need 7 home screens and every screen has to have something on it - icons, pictures, widgets and whatever else they can fit on it and god knows how many apps installed. Some of you guys practically live on your phone and do so much with it and there's a limit to how much you can squeeze out of these devices.

droiddadi

Reaction score
Helix launcher 1 with three screens no lag for me. I am running CM 5.0.6.2 with p3droids 900 Mhz and lemon ice theme

idulfingz

Reaction score
different every week, you would have to ask
I have found that no two phones react the same to a rom, my girlfriends seems to run best on bugless beast and cyanogen whereas mine runs great on ud10 , I have switched the roms on my phone and hers almost everytime a major player, PETE,Cyanogen,BD,droidmod,jrummyremix.... has put out an update. I do agree that themes seem to really lag things until they have been around for a while and they have to be made specifically for the rom intended, no mixing. I have found that the helix1 works best on my phone and my girlfriends works great only on the stock home. As for kernals i usually keep with 1000 on whatever the developer recommends and i try and stay at 900 for my girlfriends

Alex K.

Reaction score
My phone handles everything very, very well. but everyday recently in the same time period (7-9am), I will experience automatic reboots. They usually stop but it's crazy stuff, :p

Reaction score
I have been running Cyanogen Mod 5.6.2 with Smoked Glass-Esque @ 1.1GHz with Helix2/7 screens, and atleast 2 widgets on every page. I had the worst time with force closes and crazy amounts of lag when switching apps. I found somewhere on here to go to spare parts and change the animation speeds to fast and a lot of lag was cleared up. But Helix2 would have force closes when exiting apps so I went to ROM Manager and did Fix Permissions. That was last Wednesday and I haven't had a FC since. This may help someone out. It sure as S helped me out.

Ayrond

Reaction score
Thank for the tip on the animation speed setting, it made a huge difference in my speed! i am not sure why anyone would set that to anything but "fast".

VirtualGeek

Reaction score
Yup, ive been experiencing this problem lately. I found a few apps were really slowing things down for me on cyanogen - news/weather widget, engadget widget and more icons widget. Its much better now but still, i need to reboot occasionally when it starts to lag.

I'm also using droid swap with swap partition, and im actually wondering if its really doing anything...

DroidHoff

Reaction score
I'm running 5.0.6.2 and for me it does run better "stock" no theme. I love the nexmod theme but it appeared to me to run slower. Also noticed that running a lower voltage overclock seems to induce a little lag as well. Overall I am very happy with 5.0.6.2 and cant wait for 5.0.7. I also think the desparity in installs and performance has alot to do with how the rom was installed. i.e. what all was wiped and how it was wiped. I've also found that I can get away with a build or 2 without wiping but after that things start to get laggy. Just my personal observations!