Is your modded Droid laggy and slow? Read this.

brianjcohen

Reaction score
I'm not going to spend any time getting into the details, how I arrived at these conclusions, etc. I'm sure plenty of you will disagree with this. That is okay.

The recipe for a fast Droid, simply put, is:

1. I am highly suspicious of themes. Stock is faster. I cannot prove this.
2. Non-stock "launchers" are very bad, at least right now. Don't use anything called "Launcher" or "Helix". Use the stock "Home" app. If you run CyanogenMod, you can install the stock Home from ROM Manager. Try it.
3. Overclocking appears to kick things up a notch. I'm on a 1.1ghz 5-slot, standard-voltage bebit kernel right now and all is well. I'm going to downgrade later today to the stock clockspeed for comparison.
4. App/task killers are bad. This has been discussed to death. Put some faith in Linux and Android.

I'll probably get buried for this, but yes, I'm essentially telling you that Motorola, Google, and Verizon pretty much got it right. Almost everything I've installed from the modding community has been a net performance hit compared to the stock system. At this point, the only reasons I remain rooted is for WiFi tethering and overclocking.

V

verian

I don't think you catch to much flack for this its a valid argument. I will be the first to disagree. When I compare my friends droid to mine, I whop his butt faster smother more responsive overall.

utkanos

Reaction score
I'd have to agree on everything except the launcher.. the launchers that come in CM are laggy as hell. Helix 1 is the only one that doesn't have random lag issues and misclicks that I've found.

Alex K.

Reaction score
Install one of the nightly builds of CyanogenMod. They fixed the launcher like I predicted, considering the launcher wasn't exactly refined yet.

Dxun

Reaction score
I just posted something like this in another sectoin hers a few minutes ago. I have found that a few days after installing a new ROM things start to slow down for me. Extremely fast at 1st then the lag starts to kick in. Maybe im going to try eliminating my task killer and see how things go.

warrior21

Reaction score
While I liked the droid in stock form when I put my rooted droid next with helix next to my wifes stock one, there is no comparison. Its just a matter of finding the rom that works best for your phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

utkanos

Reaction score
Install one of the nightly builds of CyanogenMod. They fixed the launcher like I predicted, considering the launcher wasn't exactly refined yet.

I hope they fix the phone app/contact lag, that is the biggest clincher for me.

OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
I'd have to agree on everything except the launcher.. the launchers that come in CM are laggy as hell. Helix 1 is the only one that doesn't have random lag issues and misclicks that I've found.

In that case you do agree with me about the launcher. What I said in my post was that these 3rd party launchers you keep seeing (Launcher, Launcher2, Helix, Helix2...) seem to be a collective hodgepodge of bloat and bugs. I disagree with you re: Helix1, I found it to be no better than the rest. Stock "Home" is the only one that functions smoothly for me.

Dxun

Reaction score
Could it be the more screens we have is whats causing this. More screens means more widgets and crap we have constantly gathering info.

OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
Could it be the more screens we have is whats causing this. More screens means more widgets and crap we have constantly gathering info.

I have the same number of screens and the exact same widgets running on my stock "Home" as I did with any of the 3rd party launchers. "Home" is snappy, the rest aren't, to say the least.

necr0

Reaction score
I've experienced ridiculous lagging with this ROM. Specially when I finish a call and press the home button to get back to the main screen, it takes a few seconds for all my icons to show again. After that everything lags for a a few more seconds until it finally returns to normal. I was running the smoked glass theme overclocked to 1.0GHz (Bekit Low Voltage) and the stock launcher. I Installed AdamZ ROM again and it runs perfect... maybe it's my luck? :-/

Reaction score
I see where you could come to this conclusion. I have ran several roms that have showed down my phone. It seems that every one's phone is slightly different and a rom that runs fast on one phone will run slow on another.

I found that CM ran slow on my phone where Redrum Chaos runs really smooth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

brianjcohen

Reaction score
I've experienced ridiculous lagging with this ROM. Specially when I finish a call and press the home button to get back to the main screen, it takes a few seconds for all my icons to show again. After that everything lags for a a few more seconds until it finally returns to normal. I was running the smoked glass theme overclocked to 1.0GHz (Bekit Low Voltage) and the stock launcher. I Installed AdamZ ROM again and it runs perfect... maybe it's my luck? :-/

Your Droid is a computer. Unless something is physically wrong with it, you should be able to count on it running the same as any other Droid running the same processes in the same configuration. Luck has nothing to do with it, and an earlier poster who suggested you randomly try various combinations until you find one that that work with your particular Droid is doling out some really bad advice.

@necr0 - as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have found these "theme" roms to be largely evil, in terms of performance. I have absolutely no proof for this theory, but my gut suspicion is that it has something to do with additional resource usage (memory to load, and CPU to render) associated with all that artwork.