Is wireless charging overrated, or needed?

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I currently only use wireless charging at home and a cable in the car. First started using it when USB-C started and either myself or company had both of the USB types to charge. Worked great. I have had a charging cable instantly go behind my dresser when unplugged which was not possible to locate at night so had to wait until morning. Sold me. The real benefit to me is when watching video stored on a USB-C drive. I can keep it charged while using it for other things (casting etc). Will not buy a phone without it (at least until something even better comes along).

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
first let me say Nicholas Tesla would spit on you for dissing Wireless charging. lets be serious for a minute. how many things are charged wirelessly, I can think of my toothbrush, thats pretty much it. how many people have loose charging/micro-usb ports? that right there is THE reason. period. at home, its wireless charging only, saving wear and tear on my phone. over-rated?!!!? seriously ? I got a galaxy s7 and my wife got an iphone 7. I got a free wireless charger and a credit for more stuff, which I used for a super Otter-Box. Applw gave her NOTHING. that is the only drawback to wireless charging. a very good thick 2 part case like the good otterbox means you have to be picky about setting it down on the charging puck. but it is worth it in my opinion. the car option however, I wont bother with. the only other drawback I see is those fancy magnetic phone holders for the car vents... putting an iron disc inside the case will make the already finicky wireless charging situation ( because of the case) useless. so I cant use the MAGNETIC vent holder if I want to wirelessly charge the phone.
Welcome to the Forum.

This is why I started this thread. To have a discussion and express our points of view. In my opinion there is no right or wrong answer, we all have our opinions and points of view on functionality and whether it's "needed" or just "convenient". This thread has been a good discussion so far. Let's keep it going.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My wireless charger is the stand up kind. I set it to go to clock mode when I set it down.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Convenience is the key also don’t forget all these coffee shops and places with wireless charging on tables

iPhone X

pchain

Reaction score
Unless phones can get to the point where a battery will last a week between charges, having wireless charging is non negotiable - if it doesn't have it I won't buy it.

I don't really understand why anyone would not want it. Next to my bed I simply put my phone down and I wake up with 100% charge, pick it up and start my day. It takes no effort at all. No futzing with plugging it unplugging a cable.

I never thought I'd need it until i had it. Kind of like air conditioning. lol

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I usually charge my Note 8 with a fast charge wireless. When upright It is my desk clock as it shows the time when turned off *not shut down). it will also charge sideways - I love that when watching video. I like that I can just grab it when the phone rings and talk without haveing to unplug something or bend over to where it is. Mostly though I think it is because it leaves that USB-C port open for tons of other things!

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I usually charge my Note 9 with a fast charge wireless. When upright It is my desk clock as it shows the time when turned off *not shut down). it will also charge sideways - I love that when watching video. I like that I can just grab it when the phone rings and talk without haveing to unplug something or bend over to where it is. Mostly though I think it is because it leaves that USB-C port open for tons of other things!

note 9????

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sub-question, all of you that "can't live without it," did your first phone that you used it with come with the pad for free or did you buy it separate?

I think that's the biggest reason I've never tried it. I'll buy an extra charger for the car, maybe an extra cable here or there, but (at least back in the day when the tech first started appearing in phones), I've never felt that the price was worth it.

I'm sure it's convenient, but the phone comes with a plug-in charger, so that's what I use.

Just curious as to how many people spring for the additional accessory vs how many got it as a freebie. If you got the first one free & then bought more, obviously you like it, but do you think you'd have paid for a wireless charger having never tried one for free?

I've had phones that were capable of it, but have never used the feature because of the added expense.

I've had my share of loose charging ports. My Pixel XL is in an OtterBox right now for no other reason than I got tired of having to clean the port out again so it'd charge properly.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I actually had two wireless chargers before I got one free one with the note 5. I even had to purchase a wireless charging kit and attached it to the battery on my note 3. It was necessary because I was always forgetting to plug in the cord.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I have about 5 wireless pads.. prices are all reasonable from Amazon I've picked them up over the years.. THEN again you talking about a guy with 3 cell phones.. over 10 cases each phone iPhone and Pixel... already 3 for my LG.. I have enough cables to connect from NY to CA.. Lol

LG G7

pchain

Reaction score
Bought my wireless charging stand separately. I have used it on several phones now. If I calculate the cost on a daily basis over the years it's been used, it comes out to less than 4 cents a day. I think it's worth it.