Is wireless charging overrated, or needed?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Sajo, May 22, 2018.

1. radon222

radon222 Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +739
    In my case with the Turbo, the would suddenly and prematurely drop to 0%-5% and shut down immediately. It wouldn't power at all until you plugged in a charger cable and then it immediately jump to ~50% battery. If you unplugged again, battery would tank immediately. When that happened I had to do the press & hold power hold button to complete reboot and reset the battery cal. Then leave the phone plugged in over night.

The real pita with the Turbo and battery re-cal is that it would also wipe out all my BT pairings...so I had to go through that rigamarol every time it happened too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,905
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    Yep, what @radon222 wrote. General weird & strange battery level reporting, and overall strange battery behavior. I used to alternate between wireless & wired charging with my Turbo 2 and never experienced any out of calibration symptoms; but have seen many posts related to it on the Moto forum and other places. I'm not sure if wireless charging was always the culprit or not?

And yes, I have personally seen three charging ports go bad. One on my kids Moto X 2014 and both of the Turbo 2 phones we had. They just flat out failed over time and wireless charging was the only option until they both just died completely.

Since my company paid work phone is now a Turbo 2 (yes, I finally convinced them that the old Samsung had to go away) I charge it every night on my wireless charger, to help keep the wired charging port from wearing out. I thought I really "needed" wireless charging with my Z Force so I bought a wireless charging Style Shell. I used it extensively for a while. Now I find that it's just as simple to plug in the wired USB-C charger every night before I go to sleep and unplug it in the morning. I agree with some of the other comments, for me personally wireless charging is a "nice to have" feature but not a "must have" feature. I would still buy a Moto Z3 even if it doesn't support it.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +993
    Eliminating the cord is nice for several reasons. And it's just more convenient.

Combine a few strategically placed pads with fast charging and your phone is almost always fully charged with no effort or thought.

4. CaptainSS

CaptainSS Gold Member

Ratings:
    +558
    Absolutely joking, I never pass up on humor (usually on me) I would probably Love a wireless charging experience. I am not a fan of "Honey where is my charger?"
    Which basically means I know one of the kids forgot theirs and have now commandeered mine.
    Now, Where did my "robotic elbow bender get to....I need a Beer"!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    here you go and it won't even yell back and tell you to get it yourself

This robot can get you a beer from the fridge

6. radon222

radon222 Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +739
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,905
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    Alright PereDroid, I dug my wireless charging Style Shell out of storage and I plan on using it this weekend, to see if wireless charging is more convenient than plugging in the USB-C cable. I like wireless charging and do think it's great technology / functionality. But I'm still not convinced why it's "necessary" functionality for every phone to have. Why do we really "need" this, compared to just plugging in a USB-C cable? That's the original question.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

8. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,217
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Convenient? Brother, there's no question it's more convenient to me. This may not apply to everyone. My wife goes to bed around 11. I usually around 12. So when I walk into the dark bedroom, I don't have to look for the cable. It falls off the night stand all the time. So I have to fumble around for it. If it is on the table it's just so much simpler to look for the little light on my dock. My wireless back is right there waiting for the phone.
    Thinking about it ... It's really not even the wireless part that makes it: it's having a dock.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. me just sayin

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    It is all opinions and IMO, a phone is worthless if it does not have wireless charging. it is convenient and will not damage the phone.

10. popcenator

popcenator Droid X Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +926
    I still firmly believe that until I can pick my phone up, use it and it still charge, wireless charging is a gimmick. I've never once struggled to find my cord at night, the only struggle came with the micro-usb plug. Type C charging eliminated this. Now, I use to love wireless charging when I had a car dock with it built in, but I've yet to need to charge this phone before bed anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. abbeyon

abbeyon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having a Qi pad is a good idea but the overall wireless idea is still not mature and as it still not available on most of the phone. Another thing is fast/ turbo charging is improving as well. No doubt wireless charging on the newer high end phones is the future.

12. me just sayin

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    you will see more of it because of convenience. soon there will not even be charging pads, it will be built into furniture :)

Search tags for this page

azs

news

rss