Is wireless charging overrated, or needed?

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know your (mostly) joking but you've never had your charging cable fall behind the night stand? And a charging station is a helluva lot easier to find in the dark with that led on it.
@Sajo: no idea. What symptoms would battery calibration issues give off?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Absolutely joking, I never pass up on humor (usually on me) I would probably Love a wireless charging experience. I am not a fan of "Honey where is my charger?"
Which basically means I know one of the kids forgot theirs and have now commandeered mine.
Now, Where did my "robotic elbow bender get to....I need a Beer"!!

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Absolutely joking, I never pass up on humor (usually on me) I would probably Love a wireless charging experience. I am not a fan of "Honey where is my charger?"
Which basically means I know one of the kids forgot theirs and have now commandeered mine.
Now, Where did my "robotic elbow bender get to....I need a Beer"!!

here you go and it won't even yell back and tell you to get it yourself

This robot can get you a beer from the fridge

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Alright PereDroid, I dug my wireless charging Style Shell out of storage and I plan on using it this weekend, to see if wireless charging is more convenient than plugging in the USB-C cable. I like wireless charging and do think it's great technology / functionality. But I'm still not convinced why it's "necessary" functionality for every phone to have. Why do we really "need" this, compared to just plugging in a USB-C cable? That's the original question.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Convenient? Brother, there's no question it's more convenient to me. This may not apply to everyone. My wife goes to bed around 11. I usually around 12. So when I walk into the dark bedroom, I don't have to look for the cable. It falls off the night stand all the time. So I have to fumble around for it. If it is on the table it's just so much simpler to look for the little light on my dock. My wireless back is right there waiting for the phone.
Thinking about it ... It's really not even the wireless part that makes it: it's having a dock.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Alright PereDroid, I dug my wireless charging Style Shell out of storage and I plan on using it this weekend, to see if wireless charging is more convenient than plugging in the USB-C cable. I like wireless charging and do think it's great technology / functionality. But I'm still not convinced why it's "necessary" functionality for every phone to have. Why do we really "need" this, compared to just plugging in a USB-C cable? That's the original question.

It is all opinions and IMO, a phone is worthless if it does not have wireless charging. it is convenient and will not damage the phone.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still firmly believe that until I can pick my phone up, use it and it still charge, wireless charging is a gimmick. I've never once struggled to find my cord at night, the only struggle came with the micro-usb plug. Type C charging eliminated this. Now, I use to love wireless charging when I had a car dock with it built in, but I've yet to need to charge this phone before bed anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

abbeyon

Reaction score
Having a Qi pad is a good idea but the overall wireless idea is still not mature and as it still not available on most of the phone. Another thing is fast/ turbo charging is improving as well. No doubt wireless charging on the newer high end phones is the future.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Having a Qi pad is a good idea but the overall wireless idea is still not mature and as it still not available on most of the phone. Another thing is fast/ turbo charging is improving as well. No doubt wireless charging on the newer high end phones is the future.

you will see more of it because of convenience. soon there will not even be charging pads, it will be built into furniture :)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Anyone that's thinks it's useless obviously never had to replace w phone with a bad charging port. Looking at you HTC Incredible 2.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have had to replace two phones with defective charging ports (both a Turbo 2). And wireless charging was invaluable at that time, it was the only way to charge them for a while. I don't think it's useless myself, but also don't feel that it makes the phone any more premium than a phone that doesn't have it.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have had to replace two phones with defective charging ports (both a Turbo 2). And wireless charging was invaluable at that time, it was the only way to charge them for a while. I don't think it's useless myself, but also don't feel that it makes the phone any more premium than a phone that doesn't have it.

but what would you have done without the wireless charging feature? that is where the premium lies, the convenient of having a backup method for charging. but then it also depends on a persons definition of premium.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think every phone should have it, therefore I don't think it should be a premium item either. ;)

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I like wireless charging when it works but my old turbo would iverheat and not charge fifty percent of the time. Haven't tried it with Z2 I think I need a Moto mod which defeats the purpose if I have to swap in a mid why not just plug in a cable. It should be built in

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It can't be built into the back of a Moto Z because of the big ass magnets used to attach the Moto Mods. So yes, you need a wireless charging Style Shell with any Moto Z phone.