Is WiFi useful?

jrice

Reaction score
Just received my new Droid 2 a few days ago. This was my first Smartphone. I immediately setup the phone to my WiFi network and within 4 days my data usage with Verizon was 30MB. Contacted Verizon to find out that many apps go over their 3G network despite that fact that I had it set to WiFi. I asked them to tell me what apps are being forced on the 3G network. They told me they could not, that there was no list. They did suggest using Advanced Task Killer. There was only one app that I knew of that had to go over their network, Backup Assistant. That app could not possibly explain 30MB. I should mention that I went on the $15 150MB monthly package. So where am I going wrong. Is the Droid not a candidate for the 150MB package?

Taegost

Reaction score
They're right about not being able to give you a list, it's up to each individual developer. A lot of apps will use it, but things like the Sync feature and I believe Skype require 3g service. Plus, whenever you're not using the wifi, there's still data being sent and received. The rep who sold you the Droid should not have let you get the limited bandwidth package, I definitely recommend upgrading to the unlimited even though it is more expensive, as you start to use the phone more, your data usage is going to go up and I'd hate to see you spending a lot of money on data charges.

TheRealKrobar

Reaction score
As a flip side to what Taegost says, you didn't specify exactly how many days ago or what you're doing.

I just came over from T-Mobile where I had a G1, I DID opt for the 150mb package as I have wifi that's not too heavily censored at work as well as at home and really only check to see if an email is important if I'm out, I have a GPS and Satellite radio in my truck so at this point I wasn't worried about the use of those. Since last Saturday I've used 8mb of data, my wife who works from home and is also on the wifi at home has used less than 2mb of data, and most of that was the initial syncing when we were at the VZW store getting the devices.

Having said that, I am checking our usage reports daily (well, since it started showing up on the VZW site yesterday) and will be upgrading if necessary. But for our situation I really think the unlimited smartphone data plan isn't necessary at this point. :)

nickb1

Reaction score
As a flip side to what Taegost says, you didn't specify exactly how many days ago or what you're doing.

I just came over from T-Mobile where I had a G1, I DID opt for the 150mb package as I have wifi that's not too heavily censored at work as well as at home and really only check to see if an email is important if I'm out, I have a GPS and Satellite radio in my truck so at this point I wasn't worried about the use of those. Since last Saturday I've used 8mb of data, my wife who works from home and is also on the wifi at home has used less than 2mb of data, and most of that was the initial syncing when we were at the VZW store getting the devices.

Having said that, I am checking our usage reports daily (well, since it started showing up on the VZW site yesterday) and will be upgrading if necessary. But for our situation I really think the unlimited smartphone data plan isn't necessary at this point. :)

Wow 150mb thats nothing. I just checked my usage and last month I had 3Gb.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Just received my new Droid 2 a few days ago. ...
The initial setup of the Droid uses a lot of data; after that, it depends on what you do with the phone. I'm not a heavy user, and I don't switch to WiFi b/c I'm on the UL plan, but I don't go much over 150 MB in a month. Monitor your usage for a while. You may see that it levels out and that you will remain under 150 MB. If it gets close, the worse that could happen is getting hit for another $15 for another 150 MB of data. Better for you, if your usage remains low, than paying $30 every month for under the 150 MB limit. If you are constantly over 300 MB, call up then and get switched to the UL plan; they will make it retroactive.

born2golf

Reaction score
Just received my new Droid 2 a few days ago. This was my first Smartphone. I immediately setup the phone to my WiFi network and within 4 days my data usage with Verizon was 30MB. Contacted Verizon to find out that many apps go over their 3G network despite that fact that I had it set to WiFi. I asked them to tell me what apps are being forced on the 3G network. They told me they could not, that there was no list. They did suggest using Advanced Task Killer. There was only one app that I knew of that had to go over their network, Backup Assistant. That app could not possibly explain 30MB. I should mention that I went on the $15 150MB monthly package. So where am I going wrong. Is the Droid not a candidate for the 150MB package?

There is no app I am aware of that requires 3g. They only require "internet access", which could be in the form of wifi OR 3G. I can say this with confidence because I use Juicedefender to manage my 3g connection, and specifically use a setting called "prefer wifi" which means that whenever an acceptable wifi connection is present, it will use that and TURN OFF 3G. I too work at home and the days when I am at home my phone is exclusively communicating to my home wifi network (I have 4 APs). So on these days 3G is turned off ALL day and I have never had an issue where an app wouldn't work.

The logic behind juicedefender is all about battery conservation and in this case Wifi consumes less power than 3G. But more importantly, the user experience is relevant to your question.

another thought is this... when my contract expires and I upgrade, I will not get rid of my phone as I have in the past (assuming it is still intact). Because aside from the telephone features this device should continue to work on "wifi only" till it dies, just like an iPod touch. I could still use all the apps in the home or office where wifi is plentiful. Or maybe my little kids will want to play with it...

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Only reason I use Wifi is to save on battery power, I see at least 3 or 4 hours more battery life when enabled at home. I would suggest upgrading your internet to unlimited, those extra $15 a month will be nothing compared to the overage fees you risk getting if you happen to go over your limit.