Is underclocking worth it?

audioman42

Reaction score
My new Droid X is plenty fast & I have no desire to overclock it, but I see lots of people underclocking and running low voltages to increase battery life. It seams like it wouldn't really make a noticeable difference since the screen uses most if the power... Has anyone done any real testing? Also, will underclocking cause any lag?

Thanks

want a droid

Reaction score
On my Droid 2, I didn't have any noticeable increase in battery life while underclocking.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
even if the screen is using highest % in the settings, the processor is still ALWAYS running.

lowering the voltages for the speeds = less battery consumed = longer battery life

might not be a big difference, but it will help.

ybrodsk

Reaction score
Ran it for a few days and didn't notice any difference

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

en28so

Reaction score
I don't underclock, but I do run with custom ULV levels. Now I get about 3 to 4 more hours of battery life. I also use profiles with the jrummy overclock app.

Droid X. Rooted with Z4root and undervolted to save battery life, with jrummy's overclocking app

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Use QuickClock Advanced to undervolt. It will find the lowest stable vsel for your specific setup.

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
I figured I'd give it a shot. My main concern was lag, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue. I guess I'll leave it since I don't have anything to lose.

My settings:
300MHz, 15
600MHz, 27
800MHz, 36
1GHz, 45

Last edited:

beantown06

Reaction score
I am underclocked and also a pretty heavy user of my DX and I can go until bed without a charge.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App