Is Traditional Black Friday Shopping (Brick and Mortar) Finally Dead?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll be honest, last year I was an idiot standing in line on the night of Thanksgiving for a 50" TV at Walmart. This year, I've come to the realization that no one should be working on Thanksgiving. I'm boycotting shopping anywhere (including a convenience store) on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or July 4th. Those are important holidays to me, and should be celebrated (if not celebrated, at least with your family) by everyone.

Either way, Cyber Monday shopping it will be from here on out.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll be honest, last year I was an idiot standing in line on the night of Thanksgiving for a 50" TV at Walmart. This year, I've come to the realization that no one should be working on Thanksgiving. I'm boycotting shopping anywhere (including a convenience store) on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or July 4th. Those are important holidays to me, and should be celebrated (if not celebrated, at least with your family) by everyone.

Either way, Cyber Monday shopping it will be from here on out.

I felt like that many time especially this year when I work on Thanksgiving. Then I thought about all the times I volunteered to work on Thanksgiving (for the extra pay of time and a half) plus I worked nights so I still could eat with the fam and make a little extra for Christmas. Yeah there are some people who are forced to work the holidays and are unable to spend any time with their families. But there are also some people who are now able to get temp work for the holidays because of the holiday shopping. There are doctors, law enforcers, men and women in the armed forces, and more who have worked the holidays for years, and many away from their families that will never get the holidays off because they are needed to be at work. I'm not trying to sound cold hearted or feel like "I should have my TV now on BF". No, I just had a change of heart about the holidays because I do realize that yeah someone is working the holidays when they want to be home, but someone is also getting a wage on that day that could help them.

Again it is tough because I want, like you, for people to have the holidays off. But I am trying to no put everyone in a box. Where there are those who want the holidays off there are some who actually look forward to the money on that day/period. With that said, I'm still not standing out in the cold for a marked down tv. Me not showing up is not because I'm boycotting, its because there is a better way thanks to technology....oh and the fact BF deals kicked off earlier this year.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree with both of you actually. I worked retail eons ago. I liked working most holidays for the double time and a half that we got paid.
And we usually weren't forced to.
Of course the store was closed on TGiving and BF wasn't a holiday. But I volunteered to work most other holidays.

Tap'n Turbo