Is time really running out.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
android-4-0-3-vs-4-0-4-vs-4-0-5-header-04112012.jpg

Was reading an article on Android Authority about HTC, Motorola, and Sony. It was not long ago we expressed our distaste for HTC, a company that brought us the first Google phone, Nexus One, Incredible, Evo, and Rezound, can not seem to figure it out. And in the tech world 4 months might as well be 4 years ago and 4 years decades.

Out of all the manufacturers out there Sony should be the fan favorite with the way they have approached the developer community. The reality is they too have not been able to get enough of the market share to matter. The US market has not found that square look to be the look they want in a phone. I am almost not surprised that it is coming to this point with Sony as they are trying to do whatever to capture the tech audience. Even so much so to try and market a $1000 walkman (which obviously didn't sell).

Out of the 3 Motorola have been the company that I see having the best chance to rebound. Despite digging themselves in a large hole during the razr years, they are the one company that the community remains excited about. The problem is they are not able to get much play because they are overshadowed by Samsung. With so many android companies fighting to get to the top being 2nd or 3rd may no be enough to pay the bills.

With a over saturated android market is there any money to be made, especially for companies not named Apple or Samsung?

source: Near-death experience: the uncertain future of Sony, HTC, and Motorola

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moto has at least started selling the specs of the droids to the gsm markets..that may help... But releasing a top notch device like the turbo, and then dropping the ball on it as far as how they support it and promising a quick upgrade that took nearly a year to happen...that doesn't help..

I know it helps the bottom line to be in bed with vzw and the droid line..but they need to push outside of that.. Verizon would lock them down contractually, until moto dies.. They need to see that and get into the gsm market or even make awesome devices that will work on vzw that aren't so locked down...locked down. Another story.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I pull for Moto personally, but they've stumbled very recently. I know the fact that one of the recent Moto X's isn't getting Marshmallow is another sore spot for some users and I can fully understand why. Add that to the flub-up with updating the Turbo and you're leaving a bad taste in a lot of mouths.

I was hoping they'd learned a thing or 2 while they were under the G umbrella, and it seemed like they had as they abandoned Blur and went for a much more stock experience.

I think they can still redeem themselves, but they're the only one I'd put my money on.

Another thing to consider, I like that they went around the carriers to sell the Moto X Pure, but I wonder what that'll do to their sales numbers. People like us here on the forums have no problem going and ordering direct from Moto, but the very average consumer is going to walk into their carrier store just the same way they always have and choose from the selection there. I firmly believe they took a step in the right direction doing it this way, but hope they've been smart about inventory. Won't hurt them that people will be able to get them at Best Buy and/or on Amazon. That was probably the smartest part of the whole plan.

Will definitely be interesting to watch all 3 as we move into next year.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Out of those 3, I think HTC is in the most trouble. Their internal issues have really shown and their last two HTC One phones haven't been selling and are underwhelming in areas where other manufacturers have focused on, such as camera (which has become a priority to the general public, imo). I expected significant changes with their phones, but nothing has come of it, and I think their current design has grown old and people see even their latest generation of devices no different than say, the One M7. They need an overhaul design wise, much like Samsung did which could maybe help.

Sony never had a strong US presence but their presence among Europe has been pretty good from what I've read. I don't get why they haven't taken more advantage of the US market, their devices are really solid and top tier, imo. It's a shame that both Verizon and Sony wanted to sort of "dumb down" the Big Red. The z3v wasn't an ugly phone by any means, but when you took a look at the regular z3 variant, just makes you wonder why they decided to go and do that. And after their z4/z3+ flop, who knows where they'll end up with the z5. It is quite a good looking and well-spec'd device though. (Very disappointed the z4v ended up getting canned)

Moto has definitely turned things around, but with the recent sale to Lenovo that's also a bit worrisome. They still put out great phones, but they drop the ball when it comes to updates. I wish Google had held onto them because that could've been something special and I really would've liked to see a Nexus line of just Moto devices, but it is what it is. And as @94lt1 stated, their updates on Verizon's network are hopeless, especially since those are Moto's top devices.