Is this what I should expect after rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Rettocs, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

My Droid was running perfectly when it was stock. Scrolling wasn't the smoothest, but that was it. I rooted using that new app, so that I could overclock it, to make scrolling smoother. I overclocked to 800, and now that I am rooted, the phone is laggy, clunky, and generally unstable. Opening the app dock only works half the time, and other random apps keep force closing, even when I'm not trying to open them. The browser hasn't been able to successfully load anything but Google.

I'm about to be done with this, but I just figured I'd ask and see, since everyone else seems so happy with their hacked phones. What do you suggest. Is it the root, or is it the ROM? If it is the ROM, I'm using Sholes, should I switch to BB? If so, how do I go about that?
  2. dman91

dman91 Guest

If you're having those problems with Sholes then you should probably switch to BB. I'm using BB with my Droid overclocked at 800MHz and it's running very smooth and stable. There are a few bugs and such but overall it's stable and has smooth scrolling (even in the browser which is now multi-touch).
  3. NvrEnough

NvrEnough New Member

Go with BB, Ive been at 950 for two days and not one issue. Phone fly's faster then my I7 on my puter. :) JK but yeah its fast.
  4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

5. SuGaR

SuGaR New Member

I'm using BB 950 MHz and love it. Runs smooth, looks good, barely any lag, and the temperature has been great so far (3 days in).
  6. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

depending on the options you choose with sholes you cud end up w/ a terrible ROM. Don't install 2.1 launcher or JIT, both de-stabilize the OS. JIT is the worst.
  7. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Good to know. I know for sure I DID install JIT, I don't remember about the launcher, though. So far though, BB is nice! Thanks!
  8. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Without thee 2.1 launcher or JIT the new sholes ROM is just as stable as Bugless Beast, at least for me. And I like having the original 2.0 lock screen. Plus you have more options for what you want on the ROM.
  9. dahotz

dahotz New Member

To keep my phone running smooth (I have issues so bare with me):

I did a clean wipe from BB 0.7.3 and put on 0.7.4. Restored my apps using Astro File Manager. So this is what I have (condensed version)

BB 0.7.4 - Which is 2.0.1 with the ability to run at 950mHz.
    SetCPU - App to allow you to control your overclock
    Temp Monitor - To see how hot my Droid is getting with overclock
    Advanced Task Killer - To see the running apps.
    Lookout - Antivirus and backs up contacts (Kinda useless but I like the peace of mind)

I keep SetCPU at 950/125 mhz.
    The profiles (which tell your phone what overclock to stay at in different situations) I have set up:
    Charging: 550/250
    Sleep/Standby: 550/250
    Power <30% 550/125

I run Advanced Task Killer (ATK) when I first turn on the phone, and I kill everything that isn't a Widget or an app that I'm using. I stay around 70-80MB free for memory.

If I run a program like Google Maps, Browser, Google Voice, etc. once I finish using it, I run ATK, and my phone is always good.

I have NEVER have a slow unlock, or scrolling, and my phone is running so smooth, my blackberry friends and iphone friends are jealous. Ahh Droid FTW.
  10. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Mine runs super smooth w/o ATK or any antivirus. I'd dump those and you shouldn't see any difference.
  11. dahotz

dahotz New Member

I will take your suggestion, and see how I like it. :) thanks.
  12. joeyspindler

joeyspindler New Member

Jit was the problem for my phone also.... but now its smooth and fast and no problems.