Is this True Just got off the phone with verizon

Reaction score
Hi people,

I'm very new to this and I just posted a qustion in the introduction section but I'd like to post it here.

I have a Droid 2

I just got off the phone with Verizon about a high pitch sound on some calls (no rhyme or reason) and it comes and goes. Ok even though it's posted neither motorola or verizon don't know anything about it I'll just let it play out.

But my question is this: I told Verizon I switched my phone from EVRC to EVRC-B for sound quality and as a troubleshooting step. The girl told me if I keep it on EVRC-B I could break my phone. I will loose all sound and not be able to get it back because the software would be courpted. This would mainly happen if I go into an area if EVRC-B is not supported

IS THIS TRUE? I just brought this phone from Craigs list for $300.00 brand new no warrentee but I have it insured with ensquared. I'd like to use EVRC-B but I have to make sure that the girl from Verizon was Wrong. My thought on the matter is if I enter into an area that EVRC-B is not supported I can just switch it back.

Thanks people have a good day

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
Hi people,

I'm very new to this and I just posted a qustion in the introduction section but I'd like to post it here.

I have a Droid 2

I just got off the phone with Verizon about a high pitch sound on some calls (no rhyme or reason) and it comes and goes. Ok even though it's posted neither motorola or verizon don't know anything about it I'll just let it play out.

But my question is this: I told Verizon I switched my phone from EVRC to EVRC-B for sound quality and as a troubleshooting step. The girl told me if I keep it on EVRC-B I could break my phone. I will loose all sound and not be able to get it back because the software would be courpted. This would mainly happen if I go into an area if EVRC-B is not supported

IS THIS TRUE? I just brought this phone from Craigs list for $300.00 brand new no warrentee but I have it insured with ensquared. I'd like to use EVRC-B but I have to make sure that the girl from Verizon was Wrong. My thought on the matter is if I enter into an area that EVRC-B is not supported I can just switch it back.

Thanks people have a good day

Ive had my droid on evrc-b since day one it was figured out, and I haven't broken a phone, and haven't seen any one that has broken a phone because of this. Idk how that would affect the phone, especially corrupt the software as all that would need is an rsd flash.... Probably just trying to scare you lol

But, keep in mind I'm not an expert or anything, so if it can hurt the phone, it's not my fault :p

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks I used to work in a call center myself so I kind of know the tricks. But I also know to at least with computers If somthing is not compatable it can crash such as putting norton 2010 on a computer with 256 megs of ram and a 100 FSB.

The analogy is (or somewhat)

being in an EVRC area but your using EVRC-B that is not compatable. According to the Verizon tech it will cause you to have no sound and you can't get it back. You might be able to reinstall the codec from the memory card (according to her) But that may not work if you have a droid 2.2 os phone and the card only has android 2.1 files it won't work. The compatablity thing makes sense but why would a memory card have 2.1 files if you have a 2.2 os from the factory.

I haven't even rooted my phone It costed me $300.00 no warrentee so I'm just going to relax for now. I used EVRC-B in Fort Lauderdale for 2 days and I have not had a problem. but what is the worst that happens when I goto a rual area. I would think a reload like you reload windows or you find that codec and put it back in.

But then again why would they put EVRC-B as an option if it's going to break the phone. Why is Verizon so against this? They nickel and dime you for everything so I don't get it.

Anyway thank you for your answer It's a relef to find out that you have not broken your phone Question what has happened when you went into non supported areas?

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I've been in many rural areas, I live in rural Texas, so there ya go lol but that's a good point about what the thought was. But anyway, I wouldn't really worry about it, vie never had a problem, and I'm always in areas in the middle of nowhere lol