Is this thing worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X2' started by Kevin3328, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Kevin3328

Kevin3328 Theme Developer Theme Developer

I just got the DROID x2 3 days ago upgrading from htc DROID incredible and I am within my 14 day return period. There are many things I absolutely love about this phone.. love 4.3 inch screens.. great build.. great call quality..beautiful screen. Overall good but not great phone.. I was expecting a much better phone than my incredible.. however that is not the case as of yet..there are a plethora of apps such as tune in radio, launcher pro to name the two that are really bothering me. Both are unusable.. launcher pro lags like crazy and tune in radio freezes on me. Also MOTOBLUR ui is just not good.. widgets r not aesthetically pleasing..no favorite contacts widget etc. I know this is a new phone and I really want to keep it.. this question is for those on this forum with experience... will these issues continue in your opinion or will over the air updates occur such as gingerbread or anything else that will fix the problems on this phone? I am not an extremely tech savy person when it comes to cell phones. Don't know how to root or any of that .. overall just looking for some input from any of you others in this forum so I can make sure I am making a wise decision on keeping this phone because quite frankly I generally love this phone but there some glaring issues that I want to be fixed. Thanks in advance for any input

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  2. Hobn

Hobn New Member

Personally, I don't think X2 is much of an upgrade over the Inc. Unless you have plenty of money to throw at new phones, I'd wait until something better comes out. Also, Lancher Pro was a bit unreliable back when I used it. ADW and GO launcher share many functionalities with Launcher Pro, so check them out. I don't think the X2 has any ROMs.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

That really up to you, but if you don't like it exchange before you lose the chance. There are 4-5 Android phones out now that are pretty good.

Personally I love my X2 it's so much faster than my OD and I haven't any problems that other people report. Good luck.
  4. Kevin3328

Yea I actually got the phone cheap online as an add a line upgrade for my daughter so she could have a flip phone.. I know its not a major upgrade and lol def don't have enough money to keep up with the times as far as cell phones go .. that being said if those issues I mentioned in my previous post were rectified I would be a happy camper.. thanks for your input .

5. Zetsumei

Zetsumei New Member

I personally haven't experienced any of your issues that you're having. If you're comfortable with rooting I would recommend taking a look at the V6 super charge script. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...tproof-launchers-fix-memory-all-androids.html . Alot of people state this helped fix drawing issues w/ LP. But since the script initally has values for the milestone, and since the x2 has more RAM, it would be a good idea to do your own values. Also try freezing the bloatware too! Good luck, hope this helps!
  6. brad92

brad92 New Member

I would have gone with a Thunderbolt, DROID Charge, LG Revolution etc. The X2 is basically exactly like the X, except for the processor. I have messed with one for a couple hours and didn't think it was really an upgrade from my X.

Gingerbread and a custom ROM will help, but some phones are crap anyway. My first X was terrible. It lagged badly, always froze etc. This one hasn't been too bad.

sent from my ZombieStomped X
  7. JRizEJ6

JRizEJ6 New Member

i returned my x2. coming from an OG droid, the phone was blazing fast. no issues with LP+ (other than the occasional screen re-draw) and now issues at all with tune in radio. i actually really liked the phone. loved the physical home row buttons, battery was GREAT compared to my OG, and like said earlier the phone was just fast. however after the leaked pics of the new bionic and the announcement of the galaxy s2, i gave in to play the waiting game. now the question is which will come first, the bionic or gs2.
  8. Kevin3328

Thanks for the input .. I love this phone .. launcher pro redraw is exactly the issue I was talking about just wish I could make that stop.. im gonna keep this phone.. I was looking into thunderbolt but battery life is horrendous.. im actually pleasantly surprised on battery life with this phone.. anyone know how to stop the redraw on launcher pro?

9. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

The droid x2 doesn't have enough ram. It is not fixable with an update unless Motorola decides to dump blur which isn't going to happen. The dual core chip, the powerful gpu, and blur are all ram intensive. This is why you are seeing tablets with 1gb of ram. I owned the x2 and returned it for an incredible2 and the incredible2 runs insanely better.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
  10. Zetsumei

Zetsumei New Member

I have played around w/ the incredible 2 and I gotta say choppy to the max! The amount of RAM On the x2 is fine the inc 2 has only 768 mb and if it's anything like the tbolt only 200-300 of it will be available. Not saying that inc2 is a bad phone, but it's definately nothing spectacular like the original incredible was for its time. Think about it Tablet, phone, tablet? Ofc they would add more to tabs seeing that #1 they have bigger batteries or often are plugged in AC #2 people generally do more w/ their tablets. Don't really see why you would even compare a tablet to a phone.
  11. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

The incredible2 has more ram than any phone for Verizon and it shows during use.

12. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

13. Kevin3328

I solved a lot of my issues with this phone by using spb 3d shell launcher.. this launcher for whatever reason makes the phone run insanely smooth for some reason.. however its a 15 dollar launcher

14. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Not to argue with Zet's experience, but a majority of people are not having a choppy experience on the Inc2. The Inc2 has the exact same internal specs as the Thunderbolt, just no LTE. It's an extremely smooth/snappy phone overall. It's essentially a smaller Thunderbolt with no LTE, but global capabilities, and solid battery life.

The only "common" bug on the Inc2 is some people are reporting their compass reads North/South backwards - but it's not too many people, and HTC knows about it and a fix is in the works. And fwiw, it doesn't affect using navigation or maps - they still work while you're moving.

Also, fwiw, the Inc2 has the most crystal clear speaker/phone out of any of the recent phones I've used - X2, Bolt.
  15. Zetsumei

Zetsumei New Member

Everyone's experience is always unique even if we have the same phone etc. I do agree overall the Inc2 is a solid phone, just wasn't as impressed with its performance overall. The tbolt (when i had it) was pretty smooth one thing I liked about it the most was the earpiece was quite loud (even at min volume) but was quite distorted. You'd think that the tbolt would have the loudest speakerphone due to the kickstand being in the way when it's not propped out. I really can't wait to see the x2 with gingerbread w/ all the OS optimizations for DC compared to froyo.
  16. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

A bird told me that low ram availability is the thing delaying gingerbread for the x2. Apparently gingerbread is a little more ram intensive.

17. Kevin3328

So should I expect the performance of this phone to be much better when gingerbread comes.. I love this phone but there r some glaring issues that I want rectified without rooting since I don't know how to yet.. I want to keep this phone.. there's alot I like about it.. a ton actually I just need some things to be fixed so I can really commit to it

18. Zog

Zog New Member

Full HDMI mirroring is friggen amazing. Why does no one talk about this? I miss it.. however I didn't like the screen, lag, lack of gingerbread, dev support, rooting and customization, or wasting a 2 year.. so I returned my x2 to keep my x.

If you're tired of using your Inc and want something new to play with, sell it and break even buying a Droid x off of craigslist. Its essentially the same phone and u save an upgrade.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  19. Kevin3328

In response to zog .. I added a line to get this phon

20. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Kevin3328, let me ask a few questions. Well 2 questions. Are you running a task killer or any antivirus on your X2? If you are remove them asap.

Gingerbread. I won't say it won't improve your phone function, certainly when Froyo came out it sped up the D1. But don't expect miracles. It's a new OS and hopefully it will help your X2 improve in a lot of areas.
Search tags for this page

is samsung charge worth keeping

worth keeping droid x2