Is this the WRONG phone for me?

amajamar

Reaction score
I want a phone that can run a wireless tether app (without a tethering charge from Verizon). And the possiblity of custom ROMS.

I like the build quality of the RAZR Maxx (I currently have a OG Droid) but I am put off by the locked bootloader. Should I be?

I was going to buy the Gnex, but something is bugging me about it. Things I read make it seems a little unreliable, IDK.

The Rezound also sounds like a viable option now that you can unlock the bootloader.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I want a phone that can run a wireless tether app (without a tethering charge from Verizon). And the possiblity of custom ROMS.

I like the build quality of the RAZR Maxx (I currently have a OG Droid) but I am put off by the locked bootloader. Should I be?

I was going to buy the Gnex, but something is bugging me about it. Things I read make it seems a little unreliable, IDK.

The Rezound also sounds like a viable option now that you can unlock the bootloader.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

In my and many other peoples opinions the motorola Razrs including the Razr and the Razr MAXX are perhaps the best build quality phones on the market. I don't believe you can go wrong by getting 1.

The locked bootloader does not prevent you from flashing roms nor does it prevent you from rooting the unit. Once rooted you can use the free wireless tether app and it does work well for most people though some have some difficulties.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
In my and many other peoples opinions the motorola Razrs including the Razr and the Razr MAXX are perhaps the best build quality phones on the market. I don't believe you can go wrong by getting 1.

The locked bootloader does not prevent you from flashing roms nor does it prevent you from rooting the unit. Once rooted you can use the free wireless tether app and it does work well for most people though some have some difficulties.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Thanks! If the locked bootloader doesn't prevent you from flashing ROMS or rooting, what's all the fuss about? Also, do you know of any cases that have a belt clip with a removable clip?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll never own another phone with a locked bootloader as long as I'm in the habit of flashing rom's - the bionic was frustration after frustration of flashing something that didn't take and having to FXZ back to stock - yeah safe strap has made things easier but nothing beats an unlocked bootloader

I went with the nexus and like the D1 I'll hold on to it for as long as I can

jays91ls

Reaction score
i had the galaxy nexus and the phone seemed really laggy and the first update they pushed to it mins after i got it made the phone loose service to the point where they had to do some serious time consuming trouble shooting and 45 mins later my phone was working, went to exchange it for the razr maxx and the verizon rep even said they have had a lot of people come back for a bunch of random problems with the nexus, haven't yet seen the great battery life from it yet but hopefully i will soon, i prefer the razr over the nexus but thats just me

Reaction score
Thanks! If the locked bootloader doesn't prevent you from flashing ROMS or rooting, what's all the fuss about? Also, do you know of any cases that have a belt clip with a removable clip?

The locked bootloader prevents you from flashing kernals and installing a custom bootloader. Or it should. Motorola's efforts to lock the bootloader have kind of failed because of bootstrap which bypasses the locked bootloader and allows you to run a custom bootloader and I hear people have found a way to overclock the bionic.

Honestly though, the locked bootloader is a drag but it doesn't mean you can't do anything with the phone. Right now I'm running Liberty 2.0 on my bionic and have been thinking of overclocking it. For me the locked bootloader isn't a big deal. But some people think its the end of the world.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rasaun87

Reaction score
With the nexus its a developer phone with a brand new os. If u want something 100% ready go with something else... if your tech savvy and u know what your doing go nexus. I've had the bionic, rezound, razr, and now nexus. I'm staying nexus... nexus=Freedom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I want a phone that can run a wireless tether app (without a tethering charge from Verizon). And the possiblity of custom ROMS. I like the build quality of the RAZR Maxx (I currently have a OG Droid) but I am put off by the locked bootloader. Should I be?
If you want free tethering, then yeah. Since that is something you'll want to root to do. You can still unlock a Razr, but it will be harder since Motorola will throw roadblocks in the way periodically.

It's main issues are the radio and lack of SD. The radio problems were widespread but far from universal, and it looks like it might even be a software fix. If you get one without radio problems and dont care about SD, it might be the best choice for you actually.

You can, and it is awesome that HTC allows that. But it will never be as rootable as the Nexus.

I went with the Rezound because of hardware reasons. I liked the hardware better.

benz0

Reaction score
If you like the slim design with great battery life, then it's the right phone for you! If you like to root and flash new roms, then the GN might be better for you. I'm happy with a working phone with great battery, i hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the maxx's battery life is awesome!!!! Still in awww!! Never had i left 4g on all day, and it actually is an all day phone! :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola hands down have the best hardware for android. The nexus is the best phone for people who love flashing roms; the development for it is amazing and will continue for the next 2 years. The rezound is a quiet device because its sandwiched between the razr, nexus, and iphone 4s, plus htc's history with the thunderbolt. The rezound with its unlockable bootloader is a nice device. Problem with the rezound is if you relock the bootloader it clearly says "security warning relocked" letting htc know the bootloader was once unlocked where as the nexus you can relock it and it just says "locked" like it did the day you bought it. All three has its pros and cons and you have to decide what is important to you. The nexus has the weakest of radios compared to the other 2. The razr has the strongest radio but a locked bootloader. The rezound battery life is not impressive at all I recommend an extended battery if you choose that device. And even if you go iphone 4s it does not have lte but they are running themes and have a swype like keyboard. So you see no matter what device you go with you will be giving something up. So you need to decide what is important. And pick the device that matched your priorities.