is this the end?

edwards2243

Reaction score
I know bionic has had a bad rap for a while, but I have to ask why. I mean I understand its had its share of problems, but whenever one of these threads are started it seems the vast majority still loves the phone. My bionic is the shiz.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I was able to trade my Droid Charge for a Bionic this week(straight up: #winning). Of all the problems people say they have with the Bionic, I can assure you the problems with the Charge are worse. The GINGERBREAD update caused terribly poor call quality, it dropped data more than my Bionic on .893, and needed way too many tweaks to get it to run well. With that said...this phone is far better than any other phone that I've owned straight out of the box (Continuum, D2, DX, and Charge). I don't even have the urge to flash a ROM yet...:icon_ lala:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Nope... It's all good. If it were not for all this, we'd all still be using the original RAZR, or, worse yet pay phones. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
I agree with many of you that Quad core doesn't make a huge difference and there will be a vast learning curve when it comes to utilizing all that processing power.

But unfortunately the fact is that the average consumer is more about the newest gadgets and technology whether they understand what that technology is or not, and the manufacturers are driving that to those types of buyers which in turn means that newer phones means software developers spending more time having to make their apps work with the newer technology and thus meaning that the older tech will either be left behind or with some devices completely abandoned altogether.

I personally think that dual core will be sufficient enough for the next couple of years and that the Bionic will be up to par with such said devices and many that are available today.

I think that the industry is getting ahead of itself with cores. There's a balance between what's more important --multiple cores/threads, or better performance per core.

Look at Intel's Medfield processor, which Moto is slated to release Android phones with later this year. It's basically a reengineered low-power version of the Atom netbook CPU with a PowerVR GPU tacked on. One core, with hyperthreading --and current performance tests show it running Android faster than the RAZR and the Rezound, while getting reasonable battery life.

I'm not sure how many of us will be able to utilize four ARM cores on a phone --I'd much prefer to see vendors working the hardest on integrating the LTE baseband into the current SoCs, extending battery life to the point where none of us need to buy an extended battery to get the life we want on our phones, or getting several days of life if we do choose to buy the extended battery.

Side note to the above: Why Moto didn't just put contacts (with a removable/replaceable seal) on the back of the DROID RAZR to allow some form of optional snap-on secondary battery, I don't know. Everyone could have had the best of both worlds.

Nope... It's all good. If it were not for all this, we'd all still be using the original RAZR, or, worse yet pay phones. :)

I had one of the original StarTACs which inspired the RAZR. They were pretty cool back then (prior to the texting era).

motorola-startac-6500-qr9-460.jpg

Attachments

• motorola-startac-6500-qr9-460.jpg
    motorola-startac-6500-qr9-460.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 489

floyd

Reaction score
The limiting factor nowis obviously battery energy density and charge time. Until carbon nanotube tech prices come down to consumer commercial levels you are gonna need a clunky big battery and long charge times to use your mobile phone like a plugged in PC for extended periods of time.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/25634/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

shiningstar

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more....I loved mine at first but now I'm starting to really get more irritated and unhappy with it. More problems now than when I first got it!

Reaction score
I'm glad verizon told Motorola to hold the phones!! Sheesh, soo many phones, the poor Bionic will soon be in the backburner!

elbowslayer

Reaction score
im confused though, alot of bionic owners have gone to rezound.... and have been satisfied. Im one of the users that did and im not, its laggy and just doesnt feel fun like bionic. Camera is better but thats it.

cybric

Reaction score
Except for a few 3g data drops out in the boonies I am really happy with the bionic running 901. Definitely like it more than my Evo. This is the first non htc phone I've had going back to my 6700.

jhom

Reaction score
I am thrilled with my Bionic. I got it during the first week of its offering. I've had very little problems with it. It is rooted and stock 5.5893. My standard battery holds more than enough charge for a day's use. It still continues to be fun to use and it is fast. It is a sturdy phone with an excellent build quality. I don't see any need to envy other phones at this point because it serves my needs well. In fact, I'm not worried that there are not as many developers for the phone as some others. For me, it is the end (of needing to search for a good smartphone). :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

rumblee1

Reaction score
Bionic owner here. Happy from the beginning, happy now. If buying now, I'd get the RAZR maxx. Only because of battery life. I usually make it through the entire day on a single charge with moderate usage. I do have an extra battery just in case though. So, for me, it's not worth changing from bionic. This device is just the right size, very fast even on 3g, and powerful.

tieto89

Reaction score
extended battery

or just get an extened battery like the bionic thats what i have and its awesome.. the phone last twice as long.. its alot thicker but i like that as well it suits the grip.. :)

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
or just get an extened battery like the bionic thats what i have and its awesome.. the phone last twice as long.. its alot thicker but i like that as well it suits the grip.. :)

Agreed.

I found the original RAZR uncomfortable to hold; it's wider than the Bionic, has sharp, angular edges, and the thinness actually made it less comfortable to hold in the hand; I knew that calls for more than five minutes wouldn't work well for me.

I wonder a bit if the RAZR MAXX is not only an attempt to improve battery life, but to also make a more comfortable-to-hold phone. I'm still not hot on a phone whose battery cannot be removed, though. I like the thought that a year in, I can replace a battery if I need to, and to me, a non-replaceable battery adds a sense of "throwaway" to a device, which seems wrong from both a sense of finance and environmental responsibility.

cbrmike

Reaction score
I'm happy with the Bionic now that it's working great on 901, so if thats the end result then I'm good. New phone's are around the corner and I'm sure that most of them will be better/faster than the older Bionic but as long as it does what I need it to do I can wait out my contract. Not to bash on the Razr Maxx but unless it has a removeable battery and a better feel to it I would not consider that phone as an option.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do you think recent Razr owners are feeling today? With the announcement of the Razr Maxx, which is exactly the same as the Razr, exact same hardware, exact same size/form factor - but with a larger battery somehow shoehorned in. I would guess Razr owners might be feeling a little abandoned as well. Hmmmm, I wonder if there are any "let's start a class action lawsuit" threads over on the Razr forum...

Size doesnt matter its the motion of the ocean that counts rofl