1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is this the easiest way to change boot animation or the dumbest?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zeavott, Jan 28, 2010.

1. zeavott

zeavott New Member

Hey everyone,

I've been getting really active and starting to understand the whole "rooting", "sprecovering", busyboxing, etc.... Not fully understanding it but I'm maybe at 70%.

Anyways, I was able to successfully install the newest ROMs made by Pete (Bugless Beauty and Bugless Beast)... Both are awesome, It's really cool seeing the developers at it.

So, I wanted to change the boot animation and I started getting confused. Then I realized something....
    If you go to update.zip and navigate through it....I realized that the bootanimation.zip is kept under the following path: "update/system/media/bootanimation.zip"

What would happen if I were to extract update.zip, delete bootanimation.zip and change it with another one (Let's say "Red Rage" by Adamz AllDroid - View topic - [Release] "Red Rage" Boot Animation v0.3 (1/26/10)**) and then zip it back up and finally run the update.zip through SPrecovery?

Would this work? Would this brick my phone? I'm not being too brave with this and I just wanted to get some smarter minds to lend me their two cents.

Thanks for reading, I hope this would work out and make it easier for some users.
  2. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

I *think* that would work. I would do it with 7-zip so you can maintain whatever compression was already on the zip file (the update.zip and DEFINITELY the bootanimation.zip -- if you use the wrong compression on the bootanimation.zip it won't work). I know some of these processes that use zip files are very picky about compression.

A very roundabout way, but whatever works for you.
  3. zeavott

zeavott New Member

Good tip vpshockwave, I'll try that. You don't think there's any chance that it would brick the phone would it? As long as I use 7-zip, i'd be good?
  4. voydas

voydas New Member

Theres a much much simpler way of doing it..

are you familiar with adb?
  5. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

6. AdamZ

AdamZ Premium Member Premium Member

I didn't do it! :)

Just to make sure everyone knows... I didn't make that boot animation. "hammo" did... I only spoke to him about making it blue and possibly putting it in my ROM. (I didn't know it was in his post until now tho :p )

As far as update.zip... if you aren't familiar with ADB... DO NOT DO IT...

You can't just re-compress the update.zip...

And as far as where "bootanimation.zip" is kept... it is stored in /system/media/bootanimation.zip but the system looks in /data/local/ first... if nothing there, then /system/media (for testing reasons I believe). Anyway... there is actually a third location (not going to go look it up now... sorry) that has a bootanimation.zip (and it's a different animation altogether). It pulls from that location last. (if you don't believe me... delete or rename /system/media/bootanimation.zip and you will see it. It's just the word "Android" with a silver/green gradient moving horizontally. And one more note... install my new ROM and put in the 1gz upgrade I provided (at your own risk :) ) and you better have a short boot animation to enjoy it! :icon_ banana:
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  7. zeavott

zeavott New Member

already running it, thanks for the advise
  8. AJRAS

AJRAS New Member

i need help with a boot animation to and all these posts confuse me

i need it dumbed down 100%.......or a video of what to do on computer and droid
  9. fliphkd23

fliphkd23 New Member

try using this guide it helped me to figure out custom boot animations. Just a note you need to have the android sdk on your computer, but it tells you how to go about doing that. Also if you don't want to make your own look on droidboots.com there is a pretty good collection there.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  10. x1208x

x1208x New Member

NO ADB required! all you need is busy box. You can do it straight from your phone!!!!!

download terminal emulator. Make sure its the version for rooted users (its free on market) and do it manually. thats what i do and its pretty fast and easy

Doing it this way also helps you understand linux commands a little easier too.

move your bootyanimation.zip to the root of your sd card. then type these commands in terminal emulator.

1. "su" (enables super user permissions)

2. "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/blockmtd3 /system" (makes your system folder writable)

3. "rm /system/media/bootanimation.zip" (removes stock animation)

4. "busybox cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/" (copies new boot animation to system)

5. reboot (reboots!)

from Droidboots i use Decepticon Boot. its super sick!

http://droidboots.com/http//droidboots.com/downloads/bootanimations/decepticon.zip
  11. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk New Member

actually if you have root explorer, it offers literally the easiest way to do it possible.

download the animation as bootanimation.zip to your sdcard.

open root explorer. navigate to the boot ani on your sdcard > long press > copy.

navigate to data > local > mount as R/W at the top > hit paste at the bottom and overwrite.

done. takes 5 seconds once you do it once and see how easy it is.
  12. pthance

pthance New Member

There are two easier ways to do this:

1. use the adb shell to push the animation:
    a. adb push <location of bootanimation.zip file on cpu> /data/local
    b. reboot phone and enjoy.

2. use the terminal emulator (application in market) if you have root.
    a. If you have root copy the "bootanimation.zip" file to /sdcard/
    b. type "su" in the terminal emulator.
    c. type "cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local/"
    d. type "reboot"
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    I did this exactly and the first time I rebooted it got stuck in a boot loop twice before finally booting in....why do you think that is?
  14. gotta have that funk

i did forget to put mount as R/O after you paste it into the data/local folder.

i dont know if leaving it as r/w would do that or not but honestly, i couldn't tell you what exactly made it do what you described.

when it comes to all this phone stuff im the guy who's good at following instructions...not trouble shooting them. that would be better left to the guys who know what they're talkin about. but the first time i tried, it worked like a charm.
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Oddly enough I used a different boot animation (I was using a 35MB one from AllDroid then switched to the Matix one from here) and it worked immediately this time. Perhaps it was the file size, or just a fluke.
  16. gotta have that funk

yea i'd chalk it up to the size, since the one i switched to is the super mario bros. one from droidboots.com and it's only 400 kb. 35MB is ginormous..
  17. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Using root explorer is the easiest way for me. I made a boot animation folder on my sdcard with all my custom boot animations. Then I get into root explorer copy the boot animation I want go to System/media, delete my old boot animation and paste the one I want. It must be called bootanimation.zip and you have to mount as r/w.
  18. AJRAS

AJRAS New Member

i got it but its broke it wont play the first couple of frames i attached it. i think the problem might be in the desc file if you fix it please send it back to me

(P.M. me for my email)
    Last edited: May 27, 2010