"Is this normal?"

guyinlaca

Reaction score
I guess us Droid 2 users are far and few between, but I've experienced several issues that I'm curious if others have had as well:

1. The phone is overall blazing fast, but occasionally my app launcher hiccups for a second when swiping through the list, or when switching between the 7 homescreens. I have no hiccups any other place on the phone, so I think it has to do with Blur, but I would like to know if others have the same issue.

2. Battery life is horrendous. I have to charge every 24 hours. Even with light at certain times the battery life drops.

3. Handcent SMS force closes when receiving a message or after calls. I have Advanced Task Manager so perhaps it's causing a conflict?

4. The speakerphone volume fluctuates greatly from one caller to the next. I THINK it may be related to the ringer volume setting, but due to the fluctuations, I can't really tell.

With only a handful of people online actively discussing this phone, it's hard to tell what issues are widespread. Let me know!

pool_shark

Reaction score
I guess us Droid 2 users are far and few between, but I've experienced several issues that I'm curious if others have had as well:

1. The phone is overall blazing fast, but occasionally my app launcher hiccups for a second when swiping through the list, or when switching between the 7 homescreens. I have no hiccups any other place on the phone, so I think it has to do with Blur, but I would like to know if others have the same issue. Only appears to happen to me when receiving texts or emails.

2. Battery life is horrendous. I have to charge every 24 hours. Even with light at certain times the battery life drops. This is my 3rd smartphone, battery will always be bad with a device that can do so much.

3. Handcent SMS force closes when receiving a message or after calls. I have Advanced Task Manager so perhaps it's causing a conflict? No idea.

4. The speakerphone volume fluctuates greatly from one caller to the next. I THINK it may be related to the ringer volume setting, but due to the fluctuations, I can't really tell. Have not noticed this.

With only a handful of people online actively discussing this phone, it's hard to tell what issues are widespread. Let me know!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. I don't know.
2. Any smart phone that will make it through the day, is a good one. Charge it each night.
3. Get rid of the Task Killer. I didn't write this, but it's good:
Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED.
Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.

4. I don't know.

ShinySideUp

Reaction score

1. The phone is overall blazing fast, but occasionally my app launcher hiccups for a second when swiping through the list, or when switching between the 7 homescreens. I have no hiccups any other place on the phone, so I think it has to do with Blur, but I would like to know if others have the same issue. (I see the same issue, and also only when switching "home" screens).

2. Battery life is horrendous. I have to charge every 24 hours. Even with light at certain times the battery life drops. (I'm getting the better part of two days with moderate use, into 3 days with light use. Way worse than my old Blackberry, better than the DINC I tried out.)

3. Handcent SMS force closes when receiving a message or after calls. I have Advanced Task Manager so perhaps it's causing a conflict? (I haven't loaded Handcent yet, because their web site says it's not stable in FroYo.)

4. The speakerphone volume fluctuates greatly from one caller to the next. I THINK it may be related to the ringer volume setting, but due to the fluctuations, I can't really tell. (Haven't seen this)

I'll add to the list ...
EVERY single call, I have to "Press one to answer this call". That's after I unlock the phone and choose to answer it. It takes so long, people hang up before I can get to the phone. How do I turn that off?

Also, on the DINC I tried out, I could long-press and select text in any app that had text: browser, SMS, GMail, Email ... everything! Now I can't in anything except the browser. Why? Is that a Sense vs. Blur difference?