Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris

TekHawk

Reaction score
I purchased the Eris 2 weeks ago, got the OTA update a few days later, and have been experiencing frequent freezes multiple times/day. It happens when I try to hang up from a call, when trying to just unlock the screen, or in between random screens and/or programs.
I have not downloaded many apps, and the ones that I do have all are 4.5 or 5 stars, and do not have any comments in Market about causing crashes or freezes.

Brought the phone into Verizon Wireless in Princeton, NJ and was told by the manager that since they couldn't force it to freeze while troubleshooting it for 15 mins, I would have to either leave the phone there for a few days as they played around with it to experience a freeze, or I could wait there for however long it would take for it to freeze to prove it to them...is this normal?? Or, I could pay the $35 restocking fee and get a new one, even though I am only 2 weeks into my 30 day worry free period...

Has anyone experienced this issue? Am I out of options here?

Just wondering because we have A LOT of them here was it a VZW store for sure? we have a lot of stores here now with VZW logo and signs but will say like in small small print 4g retailer or something like that they are not VZW stores but third party retailers and they do not know sh** lol

OP
L

luluvin77

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank all of you for your help and input! I'm new to the forums and am very happy to find such a supportive community of Android users :)

The store I went to was indeed a full service VZW store...just not a very nice one, unfortunately. I did call *611 and tech support recommended that I try a hard reset first, but also made a note that if I call back after the reset and say the phone is still freezing, I would be sent a new phone. I will go ahead and do that, since I'll need to back up my data and re-download my apps with a new device anyway.

For those who have experience the same freezing issue, did you find that it was indeed the particular device causing the issue, or could it have been caused by certain apps? I try to be careful about the apps I download, and am currently researching different anti-virus apps, but who knows...

Hopefully this fixes everything since the freezing and miserable battery life kind of puts a damper on an otherwise amazing phone! (I already replaced the original battery that VZ tech support found was "draining", but second one isn't noticeably better).

I will let you all know how it works out!