Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by luluvin77, Dec 28, 2009.

1. luluvin77

luluvin77 New Member

I purchased the Eris 2 weeks ago, got the OTA update a few days later, and have been experiencing frequent freezes multiple times/day. It happens when I try to hang up from a call, when trying to just unlock the screen, or in between random screens and/or programs.
    I have not downloaded many apps, and the ones that I do have all are 4.5 or 5 stars, and do not have any comments in Market about causing crashes or freezes.

Brought the phone into Verizon Wireless in Princeton, NJ and was told by the manager that since they couldn't force it to freeze while troubleshooting it for 15 mins, I would have to either leave the phone there for a few days as they played around with it to experience a freeze, or I could wait there for however long it would take for it to freeze to prove it to them...is this normal?? Or, I could pay the $35 restocking fee and get a new one, even though I am only 2 weeks into my 30 day worry free period...

Has anyone experienced this issue? Am I out of options here?
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Call 611....
  3. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Hey there,

if freezes happen randomly, they HAVE to replace the device, because you cant rely on the phone, but payed a lot of mony for it.

Just make that clear, be strict but polite, and if he still refuses choose another shop or ask for that guys boss.

That shall help!
  4. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

I agree. That's not normal to me. They should have "swapped" it out for you IMHO
  5. Echo3

Echo3 New Member

No, that's not normal. Call the 611 and have the CSR help you out. I find they are more helpful and willing than the people at the Verizon store. When I had my defective BB Pearl, the people at verizon wouldn't swap it out so I called 611 and the CSR documented under my account about my issue and went back to the store. They saw the notes and brought out a brand new one without an hassle afterwards.

May want to try that.
  6. crspang

crspang New Member

Yep dealing with VZW via the telephone is the best way to get issues resolved. At least that's been my experience. Good luck!
  7. vzwmandroid

vzwmandroid New Member

I had the same problem, I called *611 they took down the stores info and in a matter minutes of after hanging up with cs the vzw store that I had bought my Droid from called me back apologizing and saying that they had a brand new Droid waiting for me
  8. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Not only call 611 i would ask immediately for a supervisor and explain to them the situation. There is no need for you to be in the place you are. The problem should have been dealt with swiftly.

Though i can attest to some degree that certain apps that run automatically CAN cause freezing. Because of multitasking, when you start the phone up, it will start alot of the apps that you may have downloaded to run. While this is what most of us want, this can also be a downfall of apps that no longer work with updated firmware. I know that the moto droid can be put into safe mode, if you can do this and not use any apps other then the standard apps that come on your phone, and if it still freezes up like it normally does, then you have proven 100% that it is the phone. I just feel that if it's not the phone and it is a program that is not updated yet, and you get a new phone, and you download that app again, then it could case the same exact problem you were just switching it out for.

The only other thing i could suggest, since you would be getting a new phone anyways, is to do a hard reset of the phone. Don't put any apps back on the phone for a day or two and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't then there was something wrong with your update, or something wrong with an app on the phone. Remember though a hard reset will remove all data from the phone so if you have any pics or stuff on the phone you want to save, remove it prior to doing it. Instructions for eris hard reset below.

Perform a hard reset on your HTC Droid Eris. These steps will clear all data and settings off the device.

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the Volume Down and Send buttons.
    2. Press the Power button.
    3. Follow the instructions to complete the hard reset.
  9. vzwmandroid

vzwmandroid New Member

Off topic, its really nice to have the moderators involved in threads.
    I LOVE DROIDFORUMS.NET
  10. BrokeStat

BrokeStat New Member

i had to go back to verizon 4 times because of their "i cant duplicate it policy" they kept thinking and kept saying oh we have never heard of this problem before.. finally got my phone replaced the 5th time.. good info to call 611 ill keep that in mind.
  11. Retribution

Retribution New Member

The we can't replicate thing must be Verizon authorized resellers. I only deal with Verizon corporate stores and never have a problem
  12. xliderider

xliderider New Member

People have posted the "can't replicate" excuse before. You are within your 30 day period so you have more leverage. You can tell them that you will just return the POS phone, and as long as you don't purchase another phone within 3 days, they can't charge you a restocking fee.

That will make them think twice about giving you a new phone. Lose the sale, or exchange the phone for a new one and keep the sale. ;)
  13. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Very Good Point....
  14. frankieg22x

frankieg22x New Member

611 has always been the easiest meathod for me. I had my voyager replaced about 4 times because it would shut off by itself. I got tired of running around from store to store and waiting for the phone to be set up, which is something that I could have done myself. i called 611 on the last time, after being told by them that I would need to go to an actual store, and complained about the problem again. They shipped me out an env touch with no problems. I won't be going to the vz store unless i need to for now on...
  15. srothkin

srothkin New Member

FWIW, the 2.0.1 update is causing freezes in certain situations for some people (including me) that didn't happen under 2.0. If your problem is due to the 2.0.1 update, replacing the phone probably won't fix it.
  16. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Just wondering because we have A LOT of them here was it a VZW store for sure? we have a lot of stores here now with VZW logo and signs but will say like in small small print 4g retailer or something like that they are not VZW stores but third party retailers and they do not know sh** lol
  17. luluvin77

luluvin77 New Member

First off, I want to thank all of you for your help and input! I'm new to the forums and am very happy to find such a supportive community of Android users :)

The store I went to was indeed a full service VZW store...just not a very nice one, unfortunately. I did call *611 and tech support recommended that I try a hard reset first, but also made a note that if I call back after the reset and say the phone is still freezing, I would be sent a new phone. I will go ahead and do that, since I'll need to back up my data and re-download my apps with a new device anyway.

For those who have experience the same freezing issue, did you find that it was indeed the particular device causing the issue, or could it have been caused by certain apps? I try to be careful about the apps I download, and am currently researching different anti-virus apps, but who knows...

Hopefully this fixes everything since the freezing and miserable battery life kind of puts a damper on an otherwise amazing phone! (I already replaced the original battery that VZ tech support found was "draining", but second one isn't noticeably better).

I will let you all know how it works out!
Search tags for this page

can i get a verizon s4 replaced at verizon even though i am not with verizon

defect in new phone.will verizon replace?

does verizon replace defective phones

does verizon replace phone within 30 days for defective phon
how can i have my verizon phone replaced if it is defective

replacing defective verizon phone

verizon defective phone replacement forums
verizon iphone defective
verizon refuses to replace defective iphone with new phone

verizon refusing to accept defective phone

verizon replacing phone purchased from premium reseller

verizon will not replace my defective phone
what does verizon do if replacement phone is defective
what phone does verizon replace defective dna with