Is this normal battery drain?

izomiac

Reaction score
I'm curious to see whether this is in line with what other people are experiencing, or if I need to do some troubleshooting. It seems like my phone is quick to charge and quick to discharge (first day I exhausted the battery and recharged it three times).

Code:
While last unplugged for 9h 34m 37s
 Display: 66% (Time on: 53m 45s)
 Cell standby: 27% (Time on: 9h 34m 37s; Time without a signal: 0%)
 Phone idle: 8% (Time on: 8h 40m 52s)
The phone went from 100% to 40% charge during this time. It's using the 604 firmware, GPS is off, WiFi is off, bluetooth is off, data sync is on, screen brightness is on the minimum.

Extrapolating, this would imply that my phone will only last for 2:15 of continuous use on a full charge, which I may test this weekend. I've been charging for 40 minutes and the battery is now up to 70% (given the 10% increments, that might just be 22%, so ~3 hours for a full charge from empty).

What makes me worry is that every now and then I'll see Corporate Directory using 100% CPU. I've opened it before, but never set it up, so I'm tempted to root my phone and keep it from starting. However, if my phone has a legitimate hardware issue that I can't fix, I'd rather not risk my warranty. Hence why I'm asking about other people's experience in terms a little more precise than "heavy use".

stryguy

Reaction score
The problem with that battery usage screen is that Display seems to be the default for practically everything.

That said.. Here's my day so far.

I unplugged my phone approx 7am. (100% battery)

Used Turn by Turn navigation for a 49 min drive to work (just for fun). 90% battery left)

Phone sat on my desk until noon. (90% still)

Called my wife for 45 mins (90%)

Watched a 40 min episode of Swamp Loggers I copied over from my PC yesterday. (80%)

Missed an incoming call from a buddy and got a voicemail from him through Google Voice (80%)

Called my friend back and talked for 10 mins (80%)

It's now 5:30pm and I'll be leaving for home, it's still 80%

Also check out
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/60395-battery-life-my-2-droid-xs.html

rickreno

Reaction score
I saw similar stats on my first (original) battery. I replaced mine about 1pm today and the usage patterns have changed a lot. I was seeing display using over 60% - with the new battery "voice calls" is up close to 60%, cell standby is 22% and display is 17%. This is a big change, and the ONLY thing I changed was the battery.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
so it appears that a bad batch of BH5X batteries got put into these phones? Mine doesn't seem to want to charge right, and when it will decide to detect the original motorola charger that came with it hooked up to AC power, it charges from 10% to 100% in a matter of 1.5-2 hours... and dies within 8 without me using it and everything turned off but the phone. The display does seem to eat up a lot of battery for the screen being OFF. Because of the charging issue, I declined the new battery and opted for a new phone in case there is a hardware issue with this one, I don't want to find out past the 30 days and then have to take a refurbished phone.....