Is this just a problemed device?

pkw1

Reaction score
Is this just a problemed device? *Updated Apr 25 11*

I have been reading this forum for a while now and noticed so many additional problems with this D2G. I recently got my D2G about a month ago, and this is my first smart phone too, so I was pretty excited... than all these problems:

New out of box (Verizon unlocked unit.. I live in Canada)
(stock, not rooted, stock SD card)
-restarts on it's own 3-4 times a day
-take the phone out of my pocket and try to unlock screen.. screen stays black and must hard restart
-freezes all the time no matter what I tried to do.
-looses phone and 3G signal all the time (keeps saying no GSM/UMTS, want to switch to global mode?), after a restart, strong signal again.

after 1 factory reset:
(not rooted, put in a 16g class 6 sd)
-no more restarts on it's own
-no more black screen when I take out of my pocket and unlock screen
-screen now won't come out of black screen when i get off a call (must restart unit)
-call speaker volume is VERY low when I answer calls (sometimes)
-freezes when I try to access media on the SD card (switched back to SD card that came with the phone and still the same problem)
-phone and 3G signal still drops randomly and requires restart
-takes a long time to get into camera mode

after 2nd factory reset:
-no more call speaker volume problems
-all other problems still exsisting

plus a bunch of other software related issues:
-connected to wifi but no internet connection on random basis, requires me to turnoff wifi and turn on wifi again... will get connection for about 15 mins and loose internet again, but still shows as connected to wifi
-gmail doesn't send and needs to clear data before I can send again

i'm so tired of this device..

**Apr 25 11 Update**
ok, so it was a long shot but I gave it a try... what if my stock SD card was bad to start off with, and the other 2 SD cards that I've tried on my phone.. the phone just didn't like it or they were bad too... so I tried a 4th SD card on the phone (Scandisk 16G Class 4).. 3 days now, my phone's random lockup problem seems to be gone.

-bad reception problem still exsists
-invalid mobile country code messages still pops up a lot (assisted dialing is turned off)
-phone & 3G signal still cuts out and doesn't return until I reboot (turning airplane mode on than off doesn't solve my problem)
-all the software related issues still exsist of cause.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
try using CDMA. I have friends who live in canada and uses that frequency vs global. as far as other issues and u haven't done any customizing, return it back to the store. have the their tech look at it. it might be something inside.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

OP
P

pkw1

Reaction score
try using CDMA. I have friends who live in canada and uses that frequency vs global. as far as other issues and u haven't done any customizing, return it back to the store. have the their tech look at it. it might be something inside.

First thanks for your reply,
I think my service provide is only GSM/UMTS only, when I switch to CDMA, all kinds of strange symbols appear on the top bar and no signal.

As for returning to store, the phone was purchased from a store that brings in phones that are not available here, unlock and sale, so that's not really an option. I think I'm doomed :(

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
oh sorry to hear. and u weren't able to get a factory warranty when u purchased this? there are a couple insurance sites for these phones but for life of me can't think of the name.

OP
P

pkw1

Reaction score
oh sorry to hear. and u weren't able to get a factory warranty when u purchased this? there are a couple insurance sites for these phones but for life of me can't think of the name.

unfortunitly not, but I will try looking for those insurance sites you mentioned. Thanks for your help :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
root it rom it

This is not the answer to everything and I do get tired of seeing it.

sent from somewhere...

I have been reading up a lot on the problems I have and it seems like no one really has any true fix to them, other than reboot when it happens..

I feel so lost

This truly sounds like a defective device. With that many issues there is something wrong.

sent from somewhere...

nikolio

Reaction score
I love this phone. Root it. Its superfast

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
P

pkw1

Reaction score
I love this phone. Root it. Its superfast

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

So after I root it and get rid of all the bloat ware.. what else can I do.

OP
P

pkw1

Reaction score
This is not the answer to everything and I do get tired of seeing it.

sent from somewhere...

I have been reading up a lot on the problems I have and it seems like no one really has any true fix to them, other than reboot when it happens..

I feel so lost

This truly sounds like a defective device. With that many issues there is something wrong.

sent from somewhere...

ya.. unfortunitly there isn't much I can do about the hardware... just looking at all the possible things I can do software wise to help.. Rooting, flashing?

if all else fails, I will have to just buy another phone... it's just too bad I live in a place where selections of phones just purely suck.