Is this a silent update ??

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by dontist, Jul 14, 2011.

1. dontist

dontist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok now I am talking about the most recent update that was released by Verizon to fix the reboot issues and gps locking...

I have not updated my software the first time and so I never had any reboot issues ... So I dont want to update my software from this version too... Besides it will tale away my free Hotspot feature too...but I saw suddenly when o took out my phone from my pocket showing downloading firmware.... I was lucky enough to cancel it.. lol but just to make sure... Did Verizon made is silent update ?? Or pushing on all thunderbolt?? Pe its just silly somethin I pressed unknowingly in my pocket ???

I really don't want to update this silly software... Unless I get gingerbread update ......

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

2. nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/Nonna
    Then don't update

3. dontist

dontist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My question was not about weather I should update it or not... My question is whether Verizon has made it silent update which will update all tbs automatically or we can manually reject it...

4. stalbot

stalbot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After the update downloads completely, it presents you with a prompt to 'Accept', 'Defer' or 'Reject'. I hit 'Reject' and it says something like: "Software update rejected, to install later, go to settings > updates".

I found a hundred articles and posts about the software update, but nothing I've found yet has answered this very simple question.

Hope this is helpful!

I'm curious to know if Verizon can tell that you rejected the update and they'll get pissy about it, or be able to tell that you are using Hotspot and add it to your bill all of a sudden... if you find out pls post, I'll do the same.

5. Drock240

Drock240 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, my phone started downloading the firmware this morning and I had to switch to airplane mode to cancel it. Wasn't sure if there would be a prompt before it was installed. I haven't rooted my phone yet because I have a tendency to break phones. This has survived at least 5 drops so far and is still working fine.

Although the random reboots are very annoying, I'm not ready to lose the hotspot yet :)

6. Make MC TW

Make MC TW New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did the same thing to me this morning . I hit reject .Still abusing the free hotspot from Verizon.wondering how long will that last for until Verizon starts charging me extra money for it lol

7. dontist

dontist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once it tarts downloading he new update... It shows that the phone will restart automatically.... If the update completes downloading than there won't be a way to stop it... Later I highly doubt it will ask us to install or reject....

As someone said above ... If u see it downloading ... Airplane mode or complete switching off is the best way to stop it ....

I wish o could completely do something so that it will not heck for updates or Dow.load itself

8. MrKleen

MrKleen Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Root. Then you never have to think about updates again. Of course you can install anything you like from that point.

You can always return to stock at at time if you want or need to.

9. joeinor

joeinor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I allowed it and am sure my battery life is around 30 to 40% improved. Wondering if part of the upcoming Gingerbread was put into this.

10. kickyindahead

kickyindahead Member

Ratings:
    +0

thats bull .. i am rooted and it has been trying to download the update for the past 2 weeks for me .. from what i hear .. verizon scans what software number you have and if its below a certain number it pushes the download on you. in search of finding a way to stop the automatic download i came across and article in some dx forum that says to freeze update and upgrader and that stops the automatic download.. i tried that but ive been on bamf 1.8.6 and i think (my own speculations) anything thats based off of the mr2 radio then we're good .. thinking about switching back to my personal stripped darkslide combo (using an mr1 radio) that i was soooo freakin used to just to test out that theory

11. Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My update downloaded in my pocket at work the other day. Aside from losing the hot spot i've had no issues! And I had never installed the previous update. I had rejected it a few times but hey, it had to happen eventually.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via DroidForums.

12. dontist

dontist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the worst part... Which I hate it ... Lol ... I will fight till the last moment... I wanna see how much I can keep up without updating ....