Is this a good deal? Help me out please

jourdannick

Reaction score
About a month ago I got a Galaxy S3. I was very impressed with the phone but there are a few things that bug me and I don't think its that great. I recently received an offer to trade my galaxy s3 for a galaxy nexus and I would also receive 150 dollars. Do you all think thats a good deal? Also, I do care about relevance and I know that the s3 could stay relevant longer because of the faster processor... but do you think the nexus could still stay relevant with the s3? Not sure what to do here because I want the money and the s3 just feels really cheap to me.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Mind me asking what you didn't like about the S3? Some of those same qualities you didn't like in the SG3, may be in the Nexus. As for relevance, just because the SG3 has better hardware doesn't mean it will be anymore relevant than the Nexus, a phone line that's been known to get direct Google support. Hardware is indeed part of the phone, but it's the software that plays majority of the role and that's where the Nexus comes ahead.

That being said, in my opinion, that's a good deal. Of course I'm partial to the Nexus, but you get a very good phone in the Nexus as well. The only downside between the two is that the SG3 uses better radios and has a better battery life out of the box. If you're into ROMs and doing some real customizing, the Nexus is the device to have, if that's not your type of thing you may want to look at another phone.

OP
J

jourdannick

Reaction score
Mind me asking what you didn't like about the S3? Some of those same qualities you didn't like in the SG3, may be in the Nexus. As for relevance, just because the SG3 has better hardware doesn't mean it will be anymore relevant than the Nexus, a phone line that's been known to get direct Google support. Hardware is indeed part of the phone, but it's the software that plays majority of the role and that's where the Nexus comes ahead.

That being said, in my opinion, that's a good deal. Of course I'm partial to the Nexus, but you get a very good phone in the Nexus as well. The only downside between the two is that the SG3 uses better radios and has a better battery life out of the box. If you're into ROMs and doing some real customizing, the Nexus is the device to have, if that's not your type of thing you may want to look at another phone.

A few things that I dont like with the S3 are the size (Although I think the nexus is about the same), the spots that show up when the screen is black, and the cheap look and feel of the phone. Is the nexus any sturdier?

Edit: For some reason I just feel like the S3 won't last for very long, and that I don't need the slight jump in specs.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Nexus exterior feels fairly cheap IMO as well... It definitely compensates for it by all the customization that your able to do with it... we are already rocking 4.1.2 software and i'm sure that as soon as 4.2 drops with the new phones that are coming we will be right behind in getting it..

S3 so far is the most popular phone in the world so i'm sure it has many good qualities.. It all comes down to your daily use. FYI - you wont really feel like you are anywhere behind with nexus interior hardware IMO, it might not be the strongest out there but plenty strong for most uses you can find for it..

OP
J

jourdannick

Reaction score
Nexus exterior feels fairly cheap IMO as well... It definitely compensates for it by all the customization that your able to do with it... we are already rocking 4.1.2 software and i'm sure that as soon as 4.2 drops with the new phones that are coming we will be right behind in getting it..

S3 so far is the most popular phone in the world so i'm sure it has many good qualities.. It all comes down to your daily use. FYI - you wont really feel like you are anywhere behind with nexus interior hardware IMO, it might not be the strongest out there but plenty strong for most uses you can find for it..

Thanks so much for the help... One last question, how do the screens compare to each other? And so you would definitely recommend I take this deal?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Check out youtube, there are tons of compare vids of the two phones. As mentioned, we are going to have 4.2 roms to play with very shortly. Vzw GS3.. could be months before even a leak. Also, don't think of build quality as durability. All phones have the same chance of breaking from a drop no matter what.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
A few things that I dont like with the S3 are the size (Although I think the nexus is about the same), the spots that show up when the screen is black, and the cheap look and feel of the phone. Is the nexus any sturdier?

Edit: For some reason I just feel like the S3 won't last for very long, and that I don't need the slight jump in specs.
The nexus is smaller than the s3 though a bit thicker iirc (the width of the s3 makes up for it though). The Nexus does feel a bit sturdier as it's a bit thicker and heavier, and the plastic doesn't feel cheap. Not sure what you are talking about when it comes to spots, never noticed any.

The way I see it, if the Nexus is still going strong after almost a year I don't see why the s3 can't follow the same path. It's got the better hardware overall and is a great phone. It may not be supported directly from Google, but if you're like me or any other flash-o-holic then the dev community definitely has your back.

Before anyone says I'm partial to the Nexus(which I am), I did own an S3 for a week just for fun. Nexus was just the phone for me so switched back and stuck to it. Hardware wise I felt it's the perfect package and even for my big hands a bigger phone was just harder to use with one hand. Software wise, I feel it's just miles ahead of any other phone, especially with support from the dev community.