is there someone in my general area that will show me how to root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by oopssorry13, Jul 19, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. oopssorry13

oopssorry13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive had my droid since february and have always wanted to root. my problem is i am better watching someone the first time than i am reading and following instructions. this way if i have any additional questions they can be answered right there on the spot. i live in indiana and would like to find someone that lives between indianapolis and louisville to help me at their convenience. thanks
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    There are quite a few videos out there, which will show you how to root the phone and do various other things. Sure this isn't the same thing as 1 on 1 in person showing, but some of the videos seem pretty good.

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

That seems to be a pretty good in depth step by step to go from 2.1, root and install a 2.2 ROM (which I assume is what you want to go to). You don't have to use the ROM linked in that guide, actually there is an updated version of that ROM alone. You could also choose one of the many other ROMs floating around this site, most are quite good.

YouTube - DroidReview's Channel <-- he is a user here, and makes pretty good videos.

There are others that have good videos too.

Basically, I recommend doing it yourself, and doing research. Doing the research prior, obviously. Having someone else basically do it for you, and something happens, you may not know what to do. These forums are great about helping people out with almost anything this phone has to offer. So someone is usually around to give a helping hand, in real time. Most users here are quite friendly and will be more than glad to link you to a good guide or solution to your problem. And oftentimes they will walk you through it themselves. I have seen where some users would skype, or get on messaging clients with users in help, to help in real time.

Just remember rooting isn't for everyone. Sure there are tons of benefits, but there are also some drawbacks. I find it highly addictive, especially at first. I was flashing a new ROM daily, sometimes multiple a day, just to try them out. Plus there are problems with some features on some ROMs. You may have to update, or apply fixes to these problems. Which you will want to know how to do, especially if that feature is something you need or want.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. oopssorry13

oopssorry13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tip. i found several links and videos on how to do it, and failed at them. i tried the one you mentioned and it worked great. awesome video and information. thanks alot