Is there some unofficial version of Skype for Android that allows wifi usage?

MultiKoopa

Reaction score
I think it's ridiculous that there isn't even an option to use wifi with Skype. Why is that, anyway?

dastagg

Reaction score
Pretty much useless without wifi. I am guessing it is Verizon, because iPhones have wifi Skype.

OP
M

MultiKoopa

Reaction score
But why would Verizon not allow wifi with Skype? If anything, it would take a lot of the load off of their voice servers...

Has anybody talked about making a version of Skype like the iPhone one, which can be used with wifi?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed since the app came out all over.

Because after moving to tiered data plans, VZ is hoping that you use up all your data allownce on Skype. Plain and simple.

They make no $$$ of your use if it on wifi.

OP
M

MultiKoopa

Reaction score
What?? But Skype calls aren't made over 3G data, they're made over Verizon's voice network, so how does that make any sense??

OP
M

MultiKoopa

Reaction score
Well that's terrible.

But surely a wifi version of Skype can be made by somebody, no?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much useless without wifi. I am guessing it is Verizon, because iPhones have wifi Skype.

this is not true, I just spent 2 weeks in Belize and one of my friends is an iPhone only user (no computer) and Skype would not allow calls on wifi.

Big_Ron

Reaction score
if you make a call to a Skype account it should be over WiFi. i do it on my PSP when i'm deploied over seas adn pull in to port, its free to talk to the wife. But it has to be from my computer skype account to anothe computer Skype account.

dastagg

Reaction score

this is not true, I just spent 2 weeks in Belize and one of my friends is an iPhone only user (no computer) and Skype would not allow calls on wifi.

Strange, I made some calls from Thailand to my home in Texas in 2009 on my iPod touch using Skype and a earpiece with speaker built in. It worked and it was wifi.

dastagg

Reaction score
if you make a call to a Skype account it should be over WiFi. i do it on my PSP when i'm deploied over seas adn pull in to port, its free to talk to the wife. But it has to be from my computer skype account to anothe computer Skype account.

Skype on computer uses wifi, but not on Verizon Droid or Android version. That is why I say it is useless since many overseas locations don't have Verizon service which is what Skype Mobile uses for android.

Big_Ron

Reaction score
I did know that great point. I’m still learning the droid. from the forms. I’m currently out to sea and do to be home in November. at that time my Wife will be getting a Droid 2(she wants the keyboard) and I’m getting a Droid X. so I’m trying to learn as much as i can. do you think they will make a Wi-Fi version like the iPhone has? and the PSP uses

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

Strange, I made some calls from Thailand to my home in Texas in 2009 on my iPod touch using Skype and a earpiece with speaker built in. It worked and it was wifi.

Maybe user error then :D

Good thing, wouldn't want the iPhone doing what the droid can't.