Is there better "Physical Keyboard" software available???

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Twist747, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Twist747

Twist747 New Member

I changed from the Palm Treos and never had a problem with the Querty Keyboard which through software, the "fat fingering" was at a minimum. I don't seem to be getting along well with the Droid Physical Keyboard and was hoping on a fix for that. Is there a software improvement for this??

I find that I use the virtual to avoid the physical.

Thanks!
  2. befree

befree New Member

I am looking too
    Don't forget me if anyone answers with a yes
    so far i tried big button keyboard and paid for (stylisms) font app with a good size keyboard
  3. rafinck

rafinck New Member

keyboard

Same story here. No prob on Treo. I have small fingers and still can't type either keyboard. No speed whatsoever.
  4. rafinck

rafinck New Member

keyboard

My research on here says it may not be possible as bluetooth recognition is not present at this time. I am not an expert but I did read these forum posts.
  5. rafinck

rafinck New Member

6. MarkDF

MarkDF New Member

I don't think the OP was asking about a replacement keyboard, just better support for the existing one, and I echo his request. I'd love to have the single line word auto-fill that the virtual keyboard has. That would make typing quite a bit easier. Any news on that showing up?
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

8. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

9. Twist747

Twist747 New Member

What my real issue is that when using the Palm Treo keyboard, the software that drives it will in most cases, know which key you are trying to hit. On the Droid Keyboard, I am constantly having to backspace because of hitting wrong keys. This should be a "software" issue.

I also am using Swipe now and love it. I just hate that the keyboard is sub-par to the old Treos. :mad:
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I can see validity in this thought. As accurate as Swype is, there should be a software update to create better 'accuracy' with the Android on-screen keyboard. If Swype can do it why can't we ? haha
  11. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

There is one option that hasn't been said yet if your still wanting to use the hardware keyboard.

There is a post that has the HTC-keyboard which you can install to have predictive text for the hardware keyboard. It's a little wonky from my experience as sometimes it didn't show up for me but when it did work it worked great! Worth a try!
  12. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Interesting. I generally prefer full physical keyboards so I can avoid software intervention...
  13. Twist747

Twist747 New Member

I have been totally misunderstood.

I am asking how can I improve the physical keyboard on my Droid Phone? When I hit a key on the Droid, quite often I will "fat finger" hit other keys at the same time. The Droid keyboard does not isolate the intended key (letter) as well as the Treo did. For some reason (this is why I make the software comment) the Treo let's you be more accurate while typing.

I am assuming that this can't be improved.
  14. BzB

BzB New Member

it sounds like what you're asking for is predictive text while using the physical keyboard. a thread was posted on that here some time ago so it can be done. maybe try searching for it?
  15. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

That's what I suggested...Predictive text via installign the HTC software keyboard will predict the text you type even if you don't type them in correctly.
  16. Twist747

Twist747 New Member

Explain predictive text and where can one find it. I am only looking for an improvement to the physical keyboard as Swype does a wonderful job with the virtual keyboard.
  17. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

Predictive text predicts what text your trying to type. If I type out "pridctve" it will list what words it thinks I'm trying to type and will most likely highlight "predict" as the most likely word, if it's not it'll give out other options. From what I've read so far this is likely the solution to your FAT FINGERS consistently hitting the wrong key, with predictive text software it won't matter what you type (of course it has to be somewhat recognizable) because the software will predict/correct it for you.

The thread is Here.

Only downside is that it'll replace your virtual keyboard as well, but the virtual keyboard is also better than the stock keyboard IMO.
  18. Twist747

Twist747 New Member

That's what I thought. This is different and fine, but not what I'm looking for.

If you have ever tried to hit the "h" key and you get a "g" or "j" also and then have to erase the extra unwanted keypress. If you have a Treo, this doesn't happen very often due to the design of the keyboard software.

Again, I assume this is not available as it has been very difficult for me to describe it.
  19. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

I think I sort of get what you mean, but wouldn't predictive text still solve this problem? I still think you should give it a try.
    So are you physically only hitting the h key but are getting both g and h? or are you always hitting the surrounding keys to the point where what you're typing isn't recognizable?
  20. Twist747

Twist747 New Member

Correct. The keys are small and I am hitting more that one. The Treo know's with very good accuracy which key receives the greatest pressure therefore almost deadoning the surrounding keys (my assumption). It works! I miss it! I spend a lot of time removing "miss keys".

I have begun using Swype and am almost sorry that I have the physical KB now.
Search tags for this page

why do my fingers hit wrong keys on droid text