Is there an app to allow keeping launcher in memory for froyo 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rex126, Jun 10, 2010.

1. rex126

rex126 New Member

Hello all. I was wondering if there was an application for froyo 2.2 that allows the launcher to be stored in memory when possible. I love froyo 2.2, but like previous builds there are times when i press the home screen or the launcher button and all i get is a blank screen for 10 seconds, then all the icons load up. I remember that spare parts used to have have the "launcher in memory" option that helped reduce the blank screen time, however i don't see that option any more. Thanks for any advice!

dancedroid
  2. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

+1 suscribing
  3. rickt1152

rickt1152 New Member

+1 Subscribing

This issue has me seriously considering going back to 2.1. Flash is nice, but overall this lag issue with the launcher has become a deal killer for me if there isn't a solution soon. I've tried Launcher Pro which seems a little better, but still doesn't eliminate the issue. I deleted many apps to see if they were a cause, but no matter what I do, the issue remains.
  4. Anticitizen

Anticitizen New Member

Also subscribing in hopes of finding an answer.
  5. bje1982

bje1982 New Member

thats a modified version of spare parts.. I think if you uninstall it and then reinstall from the market youll have that option again but im not sure the newest market version is compatible with froyo.. anyone know for sure?
  6. rex126

rex126 New Member

I have tried the suggestion of uninstalling spare parts then re-downloading it from the market (thanks for a suggestion btw), but it is still missing the option. I'm wondering if maybe spare parts is planning on updating their app for froyo soon?
  7. shocka2430

shocka2430 New Member

Ultimate droid froyo rom has a modified spare parts that has that. You could install it or download it and pull the spare parts and put it on yours.
  8. rex126

rex126 New Member

Thanks for the tip shocka2430, I just downloaded a copy of the blackdroid froyo release (giving all credit due to whichever party deserves it :icon_eek:) and opened system.tar, then went to the app folder and found the spare parts in there. I pulled that out, uninstalled the market one on my droid, then installed the one from the blackdroid froyo release and it does appear to have the keep launcher in memory setting! On a side note, the file is called SpareParts.apk, however, when you go to install the program is called UD control center. So far it appears to be working.... so this may be a solution until this problem is addressed in the rom itself :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  9. SteveC

SteveC New Member

The spare parts from the Market does not have launcher in memory. However the Team Chaos Froyo themes have a spare parts app in the theme build that does. I am running the second Froyo leak and the TC Red Rum Theme.
  10. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Hrmm, I'm in the middle of a forum search on just this issue, I had forgotten about that option in Spare Parts, which I do not have...
    I just went to the Team Chaos forum to download the files so I could extract it, when I read the release notes and saw that he stripped out a lot of the crap that i don't want, like Amazon MP3 and Visual Voice Mail...
    I'm in the process of a Titanium Backup i preparation for a wipe and install the ROM, see how it goes!
  11. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Well, I tried Team Chaos and it seemed to be alright, except the Market was being a pain in my ass, even with the fix... And of course, I was downloading and testing about 20 programs, so I flashed back...
    But, I can't install that version of Spare Parts, it just says "Installation Unsuccessful" :(
    I tried to find a d/l for UD, but all the links in the thread are broken, I'm gonna see if I can d/l it in ROM Manager and just cancel the install!
  12. ISUVetMed

ISUVetMed New Member

Is it possible for someone to host the .apk so we can download it from here instead of having to install the UD rom and rip it from there?
  13. Taegost

Taegost New Member

I'll post it up here when I get back from lunch, the one from UD works fine for me. I'm not sure I'd it fixed the problem yet though, too soon to tell :)
    It took me forever to find the.zip after I downloaded it in rom manager, I didn't realize the folder structure was listed under Koush :)

EDIT: I have uploaded the Spare Parts from Ultimate Droid FroYo. Thanks to BlackDroid for it. When you install it, it's called "UD Command Center" but it's Spare Parts. It works in my FroYo RC2 ROM and it has the option to keep launcher in memory. I've only had it installed for about 30 minutes now, so I haven't been able to fully test it to make sure it works.
    You'll need to un-install your current version of Spare Parts, and possibly reboot before installing this.
    Oh yeah, and I actually did zip the .APK file, so you'll need to extract it from the archive.

My Droid Does Tapatalk...
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  14. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Ok update: This most definitely did not resolve the issue, the Tag Home still reloads throughout the day, I can't tell if it does it as often as it did before or not.
  15. guardianali

guardianali New Member

Here you go. Its the Spareparts from Ultimate Droid...I took it out of the rom. When you install it its called UD assist or something but the option to keep launcher in memory is there.

NOTE: the file is NOT zipped..i just changed the extension to .zip from .apk..just change file name extension back and ur set.
  16. gszeman

gszeman New Member

LauncherPro Beta (best Launcher imho) has the option in its "Preferences" to "Keep in memory".
  17. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Good to know! Unfortunately, I don't use it, and won't until it gives me categories like Tag Home, I like widgets on my screens, not apps :)
  18. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Cool...but I don't really get what you mean by widgets, not apps? I have 15 widgets on my screens. Check out my screenshots: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...hots-your-current-bb-setup-50.html#post564463
  19. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Heh, ok, let me re-phrase: I like having most of my screens free to see my background, no apps, but still be able to easily access all my apps, which Tag Home does.
    I've never seen the launcher for Launcher Pro, but Tag Home allows me to divide my apps into categories and weight each one instead of one giant, alphabetical list.
  20. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation.
Search tags for this page

android keep launcher in memory

droid 3 keep launcher in memory
go launcher memory hog
how to keep android launcher in memory
how to keep launcher in memory

how to keep launcher in memory android

keep android home launcher in memory 4.0
keep home launcher in memory