Is there an app for this?

jlnick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, and to smart phones in general as I just got my droid a month ago. So far, I'm loving it.

I'm looking for an app that can help me keep track of things I need to do every so often. For example, I need to change my brita filter every 3 months, but I never remember when I last did it. It'd be great to have an app where I tell it when I change my filter, and then have it remind me to do it again 3 months from when I last did it.

Ideally, I could set up several items like this - cutting my hair, changing my air filter, oil changes, changing my sheets, cleaning certain items, etc. All the things I need to do every so often but have a hard time keeping track of.

I know you can set deadlines and reminders in most calendar and to-do list type apps, but I really would like something very simple that just completes this task alone. Most of the tasks I'd like to use this app for can be put off for a few days/weeks. So I'd prefer being able to tell the app when I complete something and have it then start the countdown over until the task needs to be done again. I don't want to assign a task to be done once a month, then not get to it until a week later, and have the task due again in 3 weeks instead of a month from when it was actually completed, if that makes sense.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

alostpacket

Reaction score
I dont know of anything offhand, but I think that's a great idea for a feature request for a todo app.

*runs off to develop a todo app*

:)

Lenagainster

Reaction score
ColorNote has reminders, and deep down in the menu there is the ability to set a reminder for a specific date.

After reading the other posters' recommendation for Astrid, I tried it. A bit confusing at first, but after playing around with it, I see it is a very nice app.

Snow02

Reaction score
Astrid is a great recommendation. It does everything the op is looking for.

bulldogc

Reaction score
if it were me i would just setup reoccuring events in the calendar for them

droidxethan

Reaction score
there is a countdown widget that u could try. it wouldnt be very good for multiple things but hey never hurts to try it

doncol

Reaction score
I just use my gmail tasks and use gtasks on my phone to keep in sync.

Works awesome.

Sent from my Incredible using DroidForums.

droidxethan

Reaction score
if i new how to make apps i would be more then glad to hook u up with that

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
If you're looking for something to remind you three months later, you could always just change the filter, go to the calendar in your phone, select the same date 3 months later and create an event. If you're syncing your calendar to your GMail calendar, then even if your phone gets wiped or something, once it syncs again, you won't need to put in all your reminders again. That's all I use for reminders and it works well. Don't need any external apps to do it either unless you don't like your stock calendar. In that case, I've heard Jorte is a pretty well-made calendar app.

Personally, I've got mine set up to tell me when I have to go to classes, doctor's appointments, routine injections, etc. However, when I want to make a quick list of things I need to do, such as homework, I type it into GTasks which syncs to my tasks on Google. Then I can just check things off as I go. You can use Astrid for this as well if you want. I wasn't horribly impressed with it, but many people swear by it.